Ohio High School students' diplomas withheld due to excessive cheering by families

What are we protecting the world from? This is utterly ridiculous:

Ohio school withholds diplomas for excess cheering

CINCINNATI (AP) -- A suburban Cincinnati high school held onto four graduates' diplomas and required community service as punishment for what it describes as overly boisterous cheering by their families during the graduation ceremony.

The mother of one of the graduates, who was one of the leading tacklers on the Mount Healthy school football team, doesn't think he should get flagged for excessive celebration.

"What does that have to do with him?" Traci Cornist told Cincinnati radio station WDBZ.

She doesn't dispute there was a lot of loud cheering for Anthony Cornist. Cornist also said she teaches her children to be accountable for their own actions, but she doesn't think he should be punished for what other people do.

"It took away so much from how happy I was," she said. "It makes absolutely no sense."

Schools Superintendent Lori Handler said Wednesday the problem wasn't the loudness of the yells, but their long duration, which she said halted the ceremony.

After past disruptions, a new policy was implemented this year aimed at making sure that all parents can hear their children's names called and celebrated. When they ordered graduation tickets, parents agreed that "any disruptive behavior" would result in their child's diploma being held until 20 hours of community service is completed, she said.

"Our whole push for this was to make sure that every single student's name is heard and recognized," Handler said, adding that that most parents are pleased with the new rules. "Everybody understands that upfront."

Having just graduated my oldest son, I can see why they would not want the ceremony disrupted for an extended period of time. But, community service for the kids? When it was their friends and family members causing the delay? Sure it was rude on those folks part to delay the ceremony for others or to cause some names to not be heard but it doesn't seem like anything they should punish the graduates for. Our world is jacked up.

It's too bad the kid didn't drop out, get addicted to drugs, and go to prison. Apparently that is more acceptable in Ohio. What the hell is wrong with people any more? Every high school graduation I've ever been to always has friends and family cheering, so what if it lasts a while? Let them enjoy the moment. Life is tough, and if you get a few moments to enjoy your accomplishments, why not? And people wonder why society is going to hell in a handbasket.

• Fire 1

When i graduated from High school, it was extremely annoying to have people take over the place with loud cheers... It is unfair to others to have to listen at one family cheer for so long.

I understand they have pride in their child, but you dont need to make it about you, and that is what families like that do. The child was probably more embarrassed by his loud family, and yet he gets punished? I think the school has a right to be mad that families are making it so others cant be heard... BUT don't take it out on the kid.

The cheering was very loud and very long... Very annoying, but taking it out on this kid is so stupid. Give him his diploma and move on.

:facepalm: Really? I guess the position I was/am in, my high school diploma hasnt done a damn thing for me and probably never will. I worked for a family business for a long time, when that person passed away and the business went to shambles, I went to work for their top supplier. I was/am fortunate. I wouldve had the convenience to tell them to take their diploma and ______. Some signed little certificate dont mean ___ to me anyway.

It's too bad the kid didn't drop out, get addicted to drugs, and go to prison. Apparently that is more acceptable in Ohio. What the hell is wrong with people any more? Every high school graduation I've ever been to always has friends and family cheering, so what if it lasts a while? Let them enjoy the moment. Life is tough, and if you get a few moments to enjoy your accomplishments, why not? And people wonder why society is going to hell in a handbasket.

This. Seriously people need to lighten up. This really irritates me.