Martinez QB Camp Update

Hes holding the world in his hand.

I also see a few smirks, but who knows what they are smiling at. Lets not argue it. Well see how much he has improved in about 6 weeks, then well see whos laughing. Hopefully its Taylor, looks like he has worked hard enough to earn some respect. Zoogies is right i'll change it to low 70% to high 60s. Hes done it in the past, he really just needs to be more consistent, and that will come with his improved mechanics.

16 22 191 72.7 Ohio State

28 37 289 75.7 Northwestern

The Northwestern game is where I expect our offense to migrate towards over the next 2 years - at least from a passing standpoint. Do you remember how many quick little passes Martinez threw in that game? The tempo was up, we were moving the ball. It seems like all we did was throw 5 yard slants that first half. Martinez is money on most of those quick, designed plays. It's when he has to let a play develop that he ends up heaving the ball. Unfortunately last year it seemed like Beck chose the latter instead of the former more times than not. It wasn't until halfway into the season that someone told Martinez he could check down to Rex. I put as much of Martinez's passing issues on Beck as I do on Martinez. At the end of the day Beck can put Martinez in a situation where he can be a good passer, he just chose not to most of last season...or even scarier - maybe hadn't figure out how to. I think he'll get it this year though. 1-2 less drops a game, maybe 4 more attempts. A slightly improved Beck/Martinez/WRs means 6 more completions per game. That means he'll be sitting at something like 20-28 for 245-260 yards. I'd take that any day of the week. He doesn't have far to go. It's not like he's a 56% passer throwing 45 times a game.

I completely agree, he just needs to be more consistent, and usually inconsistency is a problem that comes with youth and inexperience. Our offense was really rolling against Northwestern, to bad our defense was terrible. I still have hope that he can play like that more times then not. Ok State, Ohio State, Northwestern. If he can play anywhere close to that consistently alot of people will be surprised at good we can be. Would love to see that happen.

People on RSS have been bashing Taylor for the above picture of his throwing motion....while it is a picture and the movement before and after are up to interpretation, I don't know why people find this so horrendous? Looks leaps and bounds better than last year.

• Fire 1

People on RSS have been bashing Taylor for the above picture of his throwing motion....while it is a picture and the movement before and after are up to interpretation, I don't know why people find this so horrendous? Looks leaps and bounds better than last year.

People can draw whatever conclusions they want. But I don't think you can tell anything at all about his passing from that pic. I just posted it b/c it is a pic of T-Mart from the QB camp. We'll find out in about two months.

I can read all these articles and hope that he's changed things................I really think he did a much better job managing the game last season albeit while losing some speed. I guess you can argue though that he didn't need his speed as much because he didn't find himself in that, "oh god I have no idea what to do ..................I'll just run!" mode. The real proof will be when he's up against the wall and whether he panics and goes back to his old throwing motion just out of habit. I hope not because that muscle memory being built up is huge to get over that hump.

theres just something straight up strange about trying to teach your starting quarterback to throw when he's a Junior in college. He does have a little something that helps him keep the team on the field and moving the ball a little bit but any throw over about 17 yds he really gets under that ball and throws from his back foot. When he runs he looks like it's an unexpected accident when he is actually touched by the defense, a far cry from the punishment dealt out by Scott Frost and Eric Crouch. But he is fast, tough for hanging in there despite the criticism and I hope he does well. I don't know if I would be working on his throwing motion as much as I would be working with him on lowering his shoulder when he runs and hanging on to that football. Kind of like when Tebow went to the Broncos and they totally changed their offense to fit him. I like what teams have done with fast QB's like Braxton Miller and D Rob

theres just something straight up strange about trying to teach your starting quarterback to throw when he's a Junior in college. He does have a little something that helps him keep the team on the field and moving the ball a little bit but any throw over about 17 yds he really gets under that ball and throws from his back foot.

This will be (if I'm remembering correctly) his 4th year of playing quarterback. This isn't like trying to change the throwing motion of someone who played QB 4 years in high school and more before that. His motion also changed (for the worse) when he had the ankle injury and turf toe. It's understandable that they didn't work on it last off-season, when he was likely still feeling the injuries and had to throw differently to compensate.

I don't really care if he changes his motion or not, as long as he makes better decisons. I want his accuracy and power to improve, which can help by his motion, but you can't change how someone throws in a year. Are you going to tell a sidearm pitcher that you want him throwing over the top for next season? It takes years of development to change your motion. He's been throwing like he does his whole life. Work more on small changes with his motion and footwork and the accuracy will come as he makes better decisions. For anyone expecting a Brett farve esq motion for next year, welcome back to reality.

Fine. I'll be the (maybe) first one to say this; Taylor is gonna pass @ 64%+ for the season, and for a rediculous amount of yards. He has the recievers, tight ends, and the running game to to balance it. The man is putting in a sh!t load of time on his own dime and clock. He WANTS to win and he's proving it by taking initiative to be a better player and leader. Good for him for accepting his faults and trying to better them. He's leading through action, not words. We need more guys like this.

Go at em Taylor! F*ck sh!t up my good man!!!

• Fire 9