NU v. Iowa: Most anticipated game of Hawkeyes fans, by far

NUance

Lil_Red.jpg

"Does he get to travel to Iowa City?"

Poll results: Over half of you Iowa fans chose Nebraska as the football game you most anticipate

by Mike Hlas, Cedar Rapids Gazette, Updated: 16 July 2012 | 10:33 pm in Hawkeye Football, Iowa Hawkeyes, Sports

Polls, to me, are wildly unscientific. That certainly goes for one I threw up here a couple weeks ago asking which 2012 football game you Iowa Hawkeyes fans are most looking forward to this fall.

Nonetheless, I was surprised by the results. Out of 2,354 votes cast as of 10 p.m., Monday, 1,226 (52 percent) were cast for the Black Friday game against Nebraska.

<snip>

Poll results:

Nebraska 1,226 (52 percent)

Iowa State 271 (11.5 percent)

Michigan 209 (8.9 percent)

Penn State 202 (8.6 percent)

Minnesota 184 (7.8 percent)

Michigan State 181 (7.7 percent)

Northwestern 30 (1.3 percent)

Northern Iowa 25 (1.1 percent)

Others 26 (1.1 percent)

LINK

Iowa fans, pre-game: "I can't wait to get those Huskers on our home turf."

Iowa fans, post-game: "Well that sucked. Oh well, let's go to Walmart to meet some hot Iowa chicks."

LOL they are a spitting image of the buffs.

They're nothing even close, but that statement is a spitting image of our arrogance as a fanbase.

Closet Hawkeye fan? Seriously, chill out. We are their super bowl, that proves it. Is that not what we were to Colorado? It is football. Arrogance is part of it, unless you can give me a reason as to why I shouldn't have the confidence that we can beat them 9 times out of 10, then dont support the team. If I meet an Iowa fan, I dont go running my mouth about how I think we will murder them, but I have confidence in my team. Dont play the arrogance crap. I'm sure you're one of the people that tells people to sit down and be quiet at games too.

I treat every opponent with respect when they visit. If they go away and their only complaint is that we seemed like a somewhat arrogant fanbase, then they shouldn't be going to away games at any venue.

Iowa makes it to a Rose bowl and their heads explode, thinking they are the best team to grace the earth. Can you imagine if they had the history that we have? And you want to talk to me about arrogance? Give me a break.

• Fire 1

Perhaps it's just the novelty of it?

Perhaps if we had a poll on here last year asking our fans which conference schedule we're more excited about:

Kansas State-Texas-Oklahoma State-Missouri-Iowa State-Kansas-Texas A&M-Colorado

-OR-

Wisconsin-Ohio State-Minnesota-Michigan State-Northwestern-Penn State-Michigan-Iowa

Which one would you pick (thinking last year now)?

Or perhaps there are a lot of Husker fans in Iowa.

LOL they are a spitting image of the buffs.

They're nothing even close, but that statement is a spitting image of our arrogance as a fanbase.

Closet Hawkeye fan? Seriously, chill out. We are their super bowl, that proves it. Is that not what we were to Colorado? It is football. Arrogance is part of it, unless you can give me a reason as to why I shouldn't have the confidence that we can beat them 9 times out of 10, then dont support the team. If I meet an Iowa fan, I dont go running my mouth about how I think we will murder them, but I have confidence in my team. Dont play the arrogance crap. I'm sure you're one of the people that tells people to sit down and be quiet at games too.

I treat every opponent with respect when they visit. If they go away and their only complaint is that we seemed like a somewhat arrogant fanbase, then they shouldn't be going to away games at any venue.

Iowa makes it to a Rose bowl and their heads explode, thinking they are the best team to grace the earth. Can you imagine if they had the history that we have? And you want to talk to me about arrogance? Give me a break.

I'm 23, and stand and scream with the rest of them. You seem to be proposing that because Iowa isn't on the same level as Nebraska, that they are instantly as low as Colorado; there are more than two tiers of relevance in the entirety of college football. That's like an LSU fan posting "LOL Nebraska, they are a spitting image of Vanderbilt" because we haven't played for a BCS game or a title in a long time - our heads would certainly explode if we were playing for it all in January, wouldn't they? So, just for clarification, I am not in any way a Hawkeye fan, and while Iowa's program may not be leaps AND bounds better than Colorado's, it's at least leaps or bounds better. They've had a consistent winning culture, better fan support, BCS appearances and wins, top 10 finishes, conference championships, close, tough games against the Big Ten's best and etc. over the last 20 years. Colorado's had jack crap, a few Big XII North "titles" and a bunch of losing seasons.

Even if the crux of your argument is that they're a spitting image in regards to them regarding their game with Nebraska as their Super Bowl, you're still overstating things. Iowa might very well look forward to their game with us moreso than the rest, but that doesn't mean it's the only game they are looking forward to. Heck, even the very first sentence of the article on which this thread was made says,

Polls, to me, are wildly unscientific. That certainly goes for one I threw up here a couple weeks ago asking which 2012 football game you Iowa Hawkeyes fans are most looking forward to this fall.

When I think of Iowa, "consistent winning culture" is the last thing that comes to mind. They've been fairly decent recently, but they've never been as good as Colorado was in the 90s. Plus Colorado has more wins and a better winning percentage all time. It's a bit of a stretch to say Iowa is the better football program overall.

Here's a quick run down, from Wiki:

Colorado:

All-time record 674–452–36 (.596)

Postseason bowl record 12–16

Claimed national titles 1

Conference titles 26

Division titles 4

Heisman winners 1

Consensus All-Americans 30 (5 unanimous)

Iowa:

All-time record 594–522–39 (.531)

Postseason bowl record 14–11–1

Claimed national titles 1

Conference titles 11

Heisman winners 1

Consensus All-Americans 22