Ryan VP?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/08/romney-vp-saturday/1#.UCXrip1lRtE

This will certainly be one for the annals of political history. Will Ryan excite the base and carry Romney to victory in key swing states, or will doubling down with Ryan and his controversial budget proposal spell doom?

I see a lot more negatives with Ryan than positives...if history has taught us anything, VP picks should be as boring and non-controversial as possible. The Ryan budget and his apparent fondness of Ayn Rand are pretty much ready made attack ads.

Certainly a surprise although supposedly he and MR really clicked together.

He is a budget wonk but you have to wonder if that skill set will make much impact as a campaign issue (except for the negative thrusts certain to come his way based on his proposals.....i.e. the video showing him pushing granny off the cliff)

A gamble to help win Wisconsin as opposed to the previous front runner Portman to help in Ohio.........??

Romney has clearly given up any thought of winning the independent voters. Ryan is one of the farthest right guys he could have picked. I don't think the strategy of forgetting the independents and focusing on trying to get the base riled up is a winning tactic.

When you say independent, I assume you mean middle. I believe it was the appropriate pick because I believe that independent conservatives will decide this election.

It remains to be seen what kind of money the left will put behind some third party distraction...time is running out for that.

Romney has clearly given up any thought of winning the independent voters. Ryan is one of the farthest right guys he could have picked. I don't think the strategy of forgetting the independents and focusing on trying to get the base riled up is a winning tactic.

What positions of Ryan's make him "one of the farthest right guys he could have picked"?

What positions of Ryan's make him "one of the farthest right guys he could have picked"?

Well he is on the record as still supporting the stamp act.

I like Ryan 10x more than Romney. In the grand scheme the vp is fairly insignificant but I think this choice is excellent and one of the best he could've made. I like it much better than some placating wishy-washy type. Already have one of those on the ticket in Romney. I think this will change the race and inspire a lot of conservatives who were not too enthused about Mitt. To use a football analogy, this choice is like going for 2 against Miami. I respect that they're playing to win and willing to risk some of the swing votes. Go big or go home.

• Fire 2

I like Ryan 10x more than Romney. In the grand scheme the vp is fairly insignificant but I think this choice is excellent and one of the best he could've made. I like it much better than some placating wishy-washy type. Already have one of those on the ticket in Romney. I think this will change the race and inspire a lot of conservatives who were not too enthused about Mitt. To use a football analogy, this choice is like going for 2 against Miami. I respect that they're playing to win and willing to risk some of the swing votes. Go big or go home.

I agree with your analogy. I'd say this move was to shore up the conservative base that Romney was losing. Not that they were going to vote for Obama, but were becoming more likely just to stay home this election. In reality, it's probably not much different then McCain picking Palin to reach out to the conservatives.