Things about things

Since it fits in with the name of the thread:

I predict that Abdullah ends the season as the #3 running back.

I don't know who the #2 is yet.

But Abdullah will never be the featured back at Nebraska.

I could not disagree more. I think Abdullah is an explosive back with an incredibly bright future.

Abdullah rushed 42 times last year for 150 yards and a 3.6 YPC average. In those 42 attempts, he fumbled the ball four times. He has to get better at holding onto the ball, as he knows.

Part of his problem is sheer opportunity. There were eight games last year where he had two or fewer carries, and a four game stretch where he had five carries. How is he expected to find rhythm with those opportunities? With Aaron Green leaving the team, coaches saying Burkhead won't carry such a load, and a young Imani Cross, he'll have plenty of opportunities. We just have to hope he makes the most of them. He's a talented kid.

I don't mind a 3.6 yard average so much if the RB is getting hit after two yards and digging out the extra 1.6.

Can't say I remember Abdullah doing much of anything after initial contact, and that's not about rhythm or youth or reps, it's just the type of runner you are.

Being 180 pounds may explain the problem but it doesn't solve it.

Talented guy and I'm rooting for him. But if I had to put money on it, Imani Cross is the featured back next year, not Abdullah.

Sorry folks that I had planned to PM this weekend. I got called away for work on Friday night and just got settled tonight. On the IPad and it sucks for posting correctly on the board PMs the way my computer does. I'll probably be out till Wed or Thursday before I have to hit the road again till Tuesday with limited Internet. Anyway....

Quick hit from Saturday that may be posted already somewhere else. If so forgive me. Sounds like RK is #2 and the statement was made if we were running Watsons offense he very well could be challenging for the starter. So his understanding and passing is good. BC is close behind and slightly ahead of TA but I was told that it's expected he'll play this year if he continues to improve like he has unless something else happens this week. It's expected he'll be #2 by mid year a nd if so they work him in. I saw references to Cross and Justin Jackson so I assume that news is out. Look for Jake Cotton to probably be held out and if he comes back and gets banged up again that might be it for the year or forever.

I know there's a few other tid bits I found juicy but they escape me now. If I remember in the morning I'll post before I hit the road again. If I don't get back. Go Big Red!

From sounds of it, if they do work Tommy in at mid-year it is going to be a big waste. Go RK! Nicely done by the walk-on kid.

If Taylor does go down and he's doing well enough that he would be challenging for the starting position, then by all means, run the Rexcat coupled with RK and a handoff/pass offense. With Brion not far behind....I do not see the logic, at all, for Tommy to get what sounds like will be twenty snaps.

Especially if for whatever reason, Stanton either doesn't end up arriving, or doesn't pan out.

From sounds of it, if they do work Tommy in at mid-year it is going to be a big waste. Go RK! Nicely done by the walk-on kid.

If Taylor does go down and he's doing well enough that he would be challenging for the starting position, then by all means, run the Rexcat coupled with RK and a handoff/pass offense. With Brion not far behind....I do not see the logic, at all, for Tommy to get what sounds like will be twenty snaps.

Especially if for whatever reason, Stanton either doesn't end up arriving, or doesn't pan out.

I agree. You burn Armstrong's redshirt if and only if he's going to get meaningful snaps. If the coaches are thinking he'll play as much as Carnes did last year, then burning the shirt is just a huge waste of a year.

I agree. You burn Armstrong's redshirt if and only if he's going to get meaningful snaps. If the coaches are thinking he'll play as much as Carnes did last year, then burning the shirt is just a huge waste of a year.

the plan is to play the back ups more this year now that we are in year two. Bo wants to build depth everywhere now that he feels he has the horses.

Also....sounds like its back to a coin flip as to Mitchell or SJB. Both lines are banged up well see how much Saturday but they've gone hard at each other. T. Allen is still hurt and it sounds like Marlow may have tweaked a hammy. Not sure how bad it is I'm still trying to find that info but not sure I'll get the time. Good news is we are deep at WR.

From sounds of it, if they do work Tommy in at mid-year it is going to be a big waste. Go RK! Nicely done by the walk-on kid. If Taylor does go down and he's doing well enough that he would be challenging for the starting position, then by all means, run the Rexcat coupled with RK and a handoff/pass offense. With Brion not far behind....I do not see the logic, at all, for Tommy to get what sounds like will be twenty snaps. Especially if for whatever reason, Stanton either doesn't end up arriving, or doesn't pan out.
the plan is to play the back ups more this year now that we are in year two. Bo wants to build depth everywhere now that he feels he has the horses. Also....sounds like its back to a coin flip as to Mitchell or SJB. Both lines are banged up well see how much Saturday but they've gone hard at each other. T. Allen is still hurt and it sounds like Marlow may have tweaked a hammy. Not sure how bad it is I'm still trying to find that info but not sure I'll get the time. Good news is we are deep at WR.

Thanks for the info Da Skers!!! Sounds like the team is taking this opener very seriously by playing with extra intensity in practice.

Barney won't be going anywhere before the season and it's not a guarentee he'll be gone after it's over. But if the line continues to struggle and Bo wants Tyler Moore back on the team then Barney can't be around.

Tim Beck is gaining confidence with his playing calling and is going to be opening up a lot more this season. Obviously after a year Beck will have more confidence in Taylor to do more things with this offense, and Taylor will be improved as well to do more things in this offense. One of the things slowing Beck down last year was not getting into rythm to start the game, but when he was able to run what he really wanted, see second half Ohio St., Washington, his offense took off. Last year they didn't feel like they had a capable backup so Taylor had to stay in no matter what the situation. Bo and Beck have no confidence in Brion from a knowledge standpoint, they think he's a great athlete but still can't grasp the playbook which will keep him from seeing the field.

This year will be different, Tommy Armstrong has come in ready to go, along with Ron Kellog looking great, according to most he truly looks like the most complete QB right now just through drills and running scrimmages, his passes have been on target all over the place and he really throws a great ball. This year Beck will allow Taylor to go more and use his feet because he's not as worried with Taylor coming out of the game as was last season with Armstrong and Kellogg their to take the reigns if Taylor went down.

Jamal is showing to be much more consistent on day to day than he was last year which is a good sign, he should see great playing time, and the coaches love his athleticism. He's off the charts talent-wise. Jordan Westerkamp has come in and impressed as well, he has great hands and is already an above-average route runner considering he only got here this summer and has truly learned almost everything in just over a month.

TE's are looking very good this year with Cotton and Reed, and Beck talked at length with Bill Belichick about how to utilize his tight ends much the same way the Pats did last year with Gronk and Hernandez, Beck may try to do some similar things to get them good looks.

LB's may be better than people will realize, Will Compton has taken huge steps from last season to improve his speed and just all around ability as LB, Whaley, Anderson, and Rose are also playing very well and could be studs by midseason at least. Throw in David Santos as well to find a lot of action.

DB's are looking good, Smith and Stafford have appeared to lock up the safety positions and look really good, Andrew Green has one side of the field locked down. Evans, Jackson, and Seisay are battling for the nickel spot and, the other corner should be Mitchell. Coaches love Mitchell's athletic ability, say he's freak, just small.

Also a rotation of Punt returners included Ameer, Turner, Jackson, and Brion Carnes

No.

^^ This made me LOL. Mainly because I was thinking the same thing...but mostly because my response was going to go tit for tat on the post and this one summed it up succinctly.

Thanks for that, well done, great insight