What did we learn?

I think we also learned enough to be comfortable with our depth in many areas. I hope Rex is back next game, but if not, it doesn't mean guaranteed disaster either.

Taylor silenced critics, for now.

If Taylor keeps these stats as we roll into conference play, NU better have a website ready for him, as well. We shall see, but this was encouraging, for the most part. Defense needs work, offense needs to maintain this level against tougher competition in the future.

Defense is going to mirror the 2010 version. Shut down the pass, but can be run on. Coverage was good (7 of 19). Don't think it was as bad as folks are making it though. Anthony Alford was a hotshot QB recruit that was recruited by a bunch of schools. He's going to be really, really good.

Oh, and Ed Cunningham is a dumbass.

Good:

Taylor Martinez (Iooks like an actual QB; hope this continues)

Pass protection

Running Backs (with Marrow, NU should always score when they're inside the 5)

ST return game

Average/Bad:

ST coverage (can we just kick the damned thing through the end zone?)

Run blocking (sans the 4th qrt, still had trouble opening holes through the middle)

Brett Maher (can't sugar coat it. he was bad)

D-line (USM carved them up with the zone read QB keep)

i liked that we blitzed more.... imo this is how we should attack mobile QB's

good to see Steven Osborne.. it would be nice to see his brother.

Imani Cross is perfect for this team. he runs angry

both lines were disappointing IMO

Just curious how 6.2 yards per carry and not one penalty up front is disappointing. Not being a jerk just curious...

they were very disruptive and were in the backfield quite a bit. I thought that our RB did a good job of making something out of nothing. i think that their lack of depth really hurt them... and lastly I would hope we would be able to run some the way Taylor killed them through the air

Defense is going to mirror the 2010 version. Shut down the pass, but can be run on. Coverage was good (7 of 19). Don't think it was as bad as folks are making it though. Anthony Alford was a hotshot QB recruit that was recruited by a bunch of schools. He's going to be really, really good.

I for the freakin life of me can't figure why USM coach kept switching QBs. This game could have been quite a bit closer if Alford in it full time. I think that was a hugh coaching snafu

I for the freakin life of me can't figure why USM coach kept switching QBs. This game could have been quite a bit closer if Alford in it full time. I think that was a hugh coaching snafu

I don't really think it would have been much closer, but the kid oozes athleticism.