Chances Rex plays this weekend

I'm going to say I don't trust the coaches and trainers to make the right decision on this. Not because they don't know what they're doing, but because it's Rex. He played injured during a game last year when he didn't need to and it seemed after the game that the coaches didn't realize how bad it was because he told them he was fine.

I'm worried he'll tell them he's fine again and they'll take his word for it. IMO they need to take the decision completely out of his hands and not let him suit up in pads. It's a great quality in him that makes him want to play hurt but it's also a dangerous one.

Let's see....

A player tells the staff he is fine and no problems. He plays and is more injured than what he told them and you don't trust the staff?

Last Saturday, he had an MRI before the game was even over. I think even before half time. The staff knows everything there is about his knee and can make a decision.

BUT, if the player hides an injury or how much it hurts from the staff.....it's pretty hard to blame the staff.

For one thing, it was clear from watching on TV that he was limping atound for several offensive drives.

For another, they should know him well enough in his junior year to know that he would say he's okay if he had a broken leg.

Exactly how can they take the decision out of his hands? Part of any injury evaluation is the subjective complaint, IOW, how the knee feels. No testing can objectively show the pain, or its absence.

I suppose that they could rest him 4-6 weeks as a precaution

They can take it out of his hands by playing it safe and not letting him play against UCLA regardless of how he says it feels. I'm not saying they should rest him 4-6 weeks. I'm saying if he wants to play this week, they should be safe and wait until at least next week because of how Rex usually wants to play even when he's hurt.

I'm going to say I don't trust the coaches and trainers to make the right decision on this. Not because they don't know what they're doing, but because it's Rex. He played injured during a game last year when he didn't need to and it seemed after the game that the coaches didn't realize how bad it was because he told them he was fine.

I'm worried he'll tell them he's fine again and they'll take his word for it. IMO they need to take the decision completely out of his hands and not let him suit up in pads. It's a great quality in him that makes him want to play hurt but it's also a dangerous one.

Let's see....

A player tells the staff he is fine and no problems. He plays and is more injured than what he told them and you don't trust the staff?

Last Saturday, he had an MRI before the game was even over. I think even before half time. The staff knows everything there is about his knee and can make a decision.

BUT, if the player hides an injury or how much it hurts from the staff.....it's pretty hard to blame the staff.

on one hand you say the staff knows the situation better than the player, on the other hand you say that if the player hides the injury or how much it hurts that you can not blame the staff. which is it?

It's that the staff must rely on information from the player to make their decisions.

Bad data in = bad data out...

That isn't the only factor. When, historically, said player wants to play even while injured, there is no harm in playing it safe and sitting him out for one week. If it was the conference championship it would be a different situation.

So...its ok that Heard played with an injury (and looked damn good BTW) but we can't let Rex? Heard was told if he played this season he wouldn't ever be 100% until he's healed and was considering a redshirt until Rex went down. Both sound like they are types of things where the player can decided and playing will probably cause it to linger. I guess I don't care what happens as long as the player and the coaches and the doctors are all on the same page.

So...its ok that Heard played with an injury (and looked damn good BTW) but we can't let Rex? Heard was told if he played this season he wouldn't ever be 100% until he's healed and was considering a redshirt until Rex went down. Both sound like they are types of things where the player can decided and playing will probably cause it to linger. I guess I don't care what happens as long as the player and the coaches and the doctors are all on the same page.

What was his injury, exactly? He didn't look very injured.

Sounds like he's lobbying to play this week. Bo wants him to rest until Idaho. Told him maybe a few reps against Arky State. Rex will meet with the Docs on Saturday morning to see if he's clear. Sounds like he's working it hard. He said its pretty sore but he wants to play. So officially it's 1-3 weeks.

• Fire 1