Zaire Anderson to start at WILL this week

knapplc

Several guys on twitter are reporting from the Big Red Breakfast that Papuchis has confirmed Zaire Anderson will start at WLB this week. David Santos will also play the same spot.

@Sean_Callahan

A lot has been made with Nebraska lining up too far off the ball on defense. Papuchis said you will see some changes with that on Saturday.

@Sean_Callahan

Papuchis added NU has always lined up 6 inches off the ball, but they went to a foot because they thought it would help the DL read the gaps

@HuskerExtraBC

Papuchis said he's struck by how many plays teams are running. "We played poorly on defense, believe me, I know..."

@HuskerExtraBC

"But we also played 30 more plays than we would have three years ago, five years ago," Papuchis said because of those fast-tempo offenses.

@HuskerExtraBC

"I live in a world where losing feels like the end of the world," Papuchis said. #Huskers

@HuskerExtraBC

Papuchis gets fiery when talking with fan about expectations. Basically says any perception that expectations have dwindled is false.

@HuskerExtraBC

After all that, Papuchis said the fact this fan base is so intense about #Husker football makes it the best job out there.

@HuskerExtraBC

"When we feel we let people down, that's hard," Papuchis said. #Huskers

@HuskerExtraBC

JP wraps up one of the tougher visits a coach will have to a Big Red Breakfast. Intense atmosphere here today. #Huskers

So, Anderson would be taking the place of? Whaley? Is that right?

He'll play that empty space where normal defenses use lbs :)

By the way they'be been playing lately, thought they were all "weak" side lbs :)

I could go on, but will stop right there....bc this actually is a good thing imo

You would be correct.

Thanks

I am shocked there are no "tweets" about who/what the 3-4 might look like.

I would honestly be surprised to see a 3-4. I haven't heard any of the coaches say anything about switching to a 3-4, only a few posters on this board who have speculated about it.

If anybody has a quote/vid/audio clip of Bo, Papuchis, or any of the coaches saying anything about switching to a 3-4, I would love to hear it.

Thanks! good tidbits from the staff. They're obviously working on some different things, and it's a good step up for the new guy. Who's our SAM, Fisher?

Papuchis is well-spoken and handling this situation, and the spotlight, very well. Looking forward to this week!

By the way, I think I couldn't be happier with Papuchis as our defensive coordinator. He is DC in name only, as Bo still runs this defense, of course. But Papuchi is a great asset to this staff, particularly in recruiting. The promotion was inevitable sooner or later to keep him around, and he is worth keeping around. He may even turn out to be a great understudy to Bo as a DC in his own right. This is the kind of guy that we're very lucky to have on the staff, in some capacity or another.

You would be correct.

Thanks

I am shocked there are no "tweets" about who/what the 3-4 might look like.

I would honestly be surprised to see a 3-4. I haven't heard any of the coaches say anything about switching to a 3-4, only a few posters on this board who have speculated about it.

If anybody has a quote/vid/audio clip of Bo, Papuchis, or any of the coaches saying anything about switching to a 3-4, I would love to hear it.

I don't know if you will find the quotes, but if you look at the shift in the heights/weights/speed of the guys that we recruited last year and this year and compare these guys to previous years, it's pretty obvious to see that the defensive priorities, at least in the front 7 have shifted. This is especially true at DT where you can easily deduce that we are going from traditional 4-3 dts, to true 3-4, pile-creators.

As far as Anderson goes, I hope that people don't get too excited before the game or even if he plays well against Ark St. and assume that he is going to be the second coming of LD. Those are tough shoes to fill and I would honestly be satisfied if he a. looks athletic b. can tackle. Both of those qualities together would be an upgrade from what was out there the first two games.

Is there anything wrong with playing nickel or dime against a 4-WR set, or are we supposed to line up LBs against slot receivers?

I don't think there's anything wrong with our defense. Naturally the coaches will always be working in different looks and wrinkles. It's part of the year-by-year evolution of the defense. When we have issues with playcalling and execution, I don't think that means you have to scrap your entire philosophy and go for something different, although that might appease the fanbase.