*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

Telescopes... Who has 'em, and what do I need to know... Looking to buy one three days ago... Impulse control is an issue at my household...

I had one for about 15 years. Four-inch reflector with a pretty decent focal length. Overall it was a pretty good telescope, but the reality is, even with a good telescope all you're going to look at are planets, galaxies, nebulae and the moon. Stars are still just little dots no matter how much you refract them.

I still love astronomy and I go out to look at the stars a couple times a week, but I don't know if I'll buy another telescope.

EDIT - I suppose that didn't answer your question. Sorry. :D

I'd definitely go with a reflector over a refractor. You'll get a longer focal length and the light loss from the upper mirror isn't too bad. After I got my big-ass telescope they started coming out with those shorter, fatter, combination telescopes that combine reflective and refractive properties. Not sure what they're called but you see them in every store these days. Their advantage is the wider aperture which gathers far more light, and more light = better image quality. I think these are quite a bit more expensive, though.

The best thing you could do is to join a local astronomy club. They'll be able to guide you in your purchase, especially if your area has specific impediments like light pollution or pervasive humidity. They'll also help you find new and interesting things to look at, which is important because if you're like me, you can only look at something out there so many times before you get bored.

Good luck, and remember - you're looking at the stars, not through your neighbor's window. One is a hobby. One is creepy.

Hey thanks... Yeah pretty much what I had read on these here interwebs... As for creeping, the hot (REALLY HOT) girl across the street fenced in her back yard... Maybe it was due to me mowing the same patch of grass for three hours straight while she as laying out, or possibly she wanted to let here little rat dog do its wiz-biz without a leash, alas we will never know, I cant come with in 100' of her... Anyway, what you are talking about is the Schmidt-Cassegrain style telescope, I think that is what I'm going with, thanks for the info...

Telescopes... Who has 'em, and what do I need to know... Looking to buy one three days ago... Impulse control is an issue at my household...

I had one for about 15 years. Four-inch reflector with a pretty decent focal length. Overall it was a pretty good telescope, but the reality is, even with a good telescope all you're going to look at are planets, galaxies, nebulae and the moon. Stars are still just little dots no matter how much you refract them.

I still love astronomy and I go out to look at the stars a couple times a week, but I don't know if I'll buy another telescope.

I'd definitely go with a reflector over a refractor. You'll get a longer focal length and the light loss from the upper mirror isn't too bad. After I got my big-ass telescope they started coming out with those shorter, fatter, combination telescopes that combine reflective and refractive properties. Not sure what they're called but you see them in every store these days. Their advantage is the wider aperture which gathers far more light, and more light = better image quality. I think these are quite a bit more expensive, though.

The best thing you could do is to join a local astronomy club. They'll be able to guide you in your purchase, especially if your area has specific impediments like light pollution or pervasive humidity. They'll also help you find new and interesting things to look at, which is important because if you're like me, you can only look at something out there so many times before you get bored.

Good luck, and remember - you're looking at the stars, not through your neighbor's window. One is a hobby. One is creepy.

Hey thanks... Yeah pretty much what I had read on these here interwebs... As for creeping, the hot (REALLY HOT) girl across the street fenced in her back yard... Maybe it was due to me mowing the same patch of grass for three hours straight while she as laying out, or possibly she wanted to let here little rat dog do its wiz-biz without a leash, alas we will never know, I cant come with in 100' of her... Anyway, what you are talking about is the Schmidt-Cassegrain style telescope, I think that is what I'm going with, thanks for the info...

You need one of these my friend http://aparotors.com/

For some people(a couple of my buddies included), creepy is a hobby! And it's only creepy if you get caught. Or so I'm told.

You need one of these my friend http://aparotors.com/

$3800 to see a girl in a bikini....

So, I'm sitting at work watching the news about the Colorado wild fires. Guess who sits down next to me. God. I look at him and say. You should really do something about those wild fires. He looks at me and says. I'll take care of it just as soon as I get out.

For the record. I work in a mental institution. :D