*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

After dropping about 20 percent of her body weight, Naveena Shine, the 65-year-old Eastside woman who got worldwide publicity for trying to live on just light and no food, is calling it quits with her grand experiment.

Monday was Day No. 45 of no food, just water and tea “with a splash of milk.”

Fasting woman to end attempt to ‘live on light’

http://seattletimes....entendsxml.html

She should've had those Oreo cubes in her tea

Her name is Shine. Which makes sense on a couple of levels. :lol:

The fact that other people have died trying the same thing should've told her that it's not going to work :facepalm:

I have a rather difficult question about a serious subject.

The primary contact person, at our largest business customer, son was killed in a car accident. His son was 20 years old, only one year older than my son. I have worked with and for this guy for around 20 years. I hesitate to say we are "friends" because we do nothing together outside of work but, it is definitely more than a typical client relationship. We have shared many stories about our kids and followed the others sports careers etc. My problem is I don't know what is appropriate as far as sending something either personally or from my business as far as a sympathy card, flowers, etc. It's like I don't know him well enough on a personal level but it also seems exploitive to do it through my business. Plus, it is going to be extremely tough to address the subject in person. It hits way too close to home for me personally since that could've been my 19 year old son. The pain and loss is just unimaginable.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what an appropriate response might be? I'm struggling with how to handle it.

Whatever you do do it on a personal level. You may not do anythiing outside of work but you are friends.

It will mean more to him that way to help pull him through these difficult times. Im not good with gifts or whatever

But im sure a card and memorial in his sons honor would be more than appreciated. Be there for him.

I wish I could see my mugshot that was taken at Buffalo County Jail about a decade ago (MIP). The lovely lady who was taking my picture made me laugh just as she snapped the photo. I bet that's a hilarious picture. Probably in their top ten.

If I ever locate it, it will be my facebook profile pic.

I wish I could see my mugshot that was taken at Buffalo County Jail about a decade ago (MIP). The lovely lady who was taking my picture made me laugh just as she snapped the photo. I bet that's a hilarious picture. Probably in their top ten.

If I ever locate it, it will be my facebook profile pic.

Good news! I think I found it for you!!

funny-mugshots-1.jpg

Whatever you do do it on a personal level. You may not do anythiing outside of work but you are friends.

It will mean more to him that way to help pull him through these difficult times. Im not good with gifts or whatever

But im sure a card and memorial in his sons honor would be more than appreciated. Be there for him.

Yeah, definitely a card and a memorial. And write a short message in the card. Your work contact, and his family, will appreciate any tactful gesture you make.

Thanks guys. That is the way I was leaning, just needed the confirmation. Going to the funeral on Friday. Not looking forward to it. I just hate those things but I suppose that is normal. It's one thing when it's a distant older relative but I really struggle with them when it's a young person who should be having many more years of life ahead of them.

Telescopes... Who has 'em, and what do I need to know... Looking to buy one three days ago... Impulse control is an issue at my household...

I had one for about 15 years. Four-inch reflector with a pretty decent focal length. Overall it was a pretty good telescope, but the reality is, even with a good telescope all you're going to look at are planets, galaxies, nebulae and the moon. Stars are still just little dots no matter how much you refract them.

I still love astronomy and I go out to look at the stars a couple times a week, but I don't know if I'll buy another telescope.

EDIT - I suppose that didn't answer your question. Sorry. :D

I'd definitely go with a reflector over a refractor. You'll get a longer focal length and the light loss from the upper mirror isn't too bad. After I got my big-ass telescope they started coming out with those shorter, fatter, combination telescopes that combine reflective and refractive properties. Not sure what they're called but you see them in every store these days. Their advantage is the wider aperture which gathers far more light, and more light = better image quality. I think these are quite a bit more expensive, though.

The best thing you could do is to join a local astronomy club. They'll be able to guide you in your purchase, especially if your area has specific impediments like light pollution or pervasive humidity. They'll also help you find new and interesting things to look at, which is important because if you're like me, you can only look at something out there so many times before you get bored.

Good luck, and remember - you're looking at the stars, not through your neighbor's window. One is a hobby. One is creepy.

Telescopes... Who has 'em, and what do I need to know... Looking to buy one three days ago... Impulse control is an issue at my household...

I had one for about 15 years. Four-inch reflector with a pretty decent focal length. Overall it was a pretty good telescope, but the reality is, even with a good telescope all you're going to look at are planets, galaxies, nebulae and the moon. Stars are still just little dots no matter how much you refract them.

I still love astronomy and I go out to look at the stars a couple times a week, but I don't know if I'll buy another telescope.

You're an interesting guy Knapps....