I Support T-Mart

Martinez is not the problem. He made some bad throws, but he did everything he could to keep us in the game. The lack of defense and the punt returrn TD killed us.

I don't think Martinez is generally the whole problem with our team this season. In this particular game, he definitely contributed significantly to the problem. Turnovers like the ones he committed change the momentum of the game, in this case to our disadvantage right away with a pick-6. His mental errors and poor judgment gave electricity to a crowd. Had he made good reads and accurate passes, we could have marched down the field and scored right away to take the wind out of the stadium's sails. If we had been able to hold onto the ball and score on those possessions we turned it over, we would have had at least the opportunity to put up a score. And, had we scored more points, that would have changed Ohio State's game plan - possibly forcing more in the passing game which is more Mr. Miller's weakness. Now I know this is a lot of assumptions, but the point is, turnovers matter.

Now, if you're talking Taylor's effort I whole-heartedly agree that he tried his best to keep us in the game. Maybe that was the problem and he shouldn't have forced it.

I support him, but I am not sold on him. Sure he has made improvements, but he still makes poor decisions. 3 interceptions is not good whatsoever. With that being said, he does play with a lot of heart, and dedication. He cares for the team and the program, and that is something you rarely find. When our graduating class left last year, I was afraid we were not going to have a player who appreciated, respected and loved the program like Dennard, Hardrick, Crick and Moe did. Those guys are still watching and cheering every Saturday. I am glad we have a player with that passion, and it will rub on our others.

Our defense, that is where our issue was. Do we fire coaching staff? I don't think that is the answer. So many people were wanting to fire Tim Beck after last year, and we didn't, thank goodness. That guy was calling some EXCELLENT plays out there! If it wasn't for the interceptions, we would have been in that game the whole way, but I am not going to play the "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" game, because its getting old. Coach K is getting a better idea of how he wants the defense, and with players coming off red shirts next year, and the recruits, I believe he will be able to run the defense he is more comfortable with, 3-4. We will also have a more live and stronger Dline and Secondary can only get better. The only position I was afraid of lacking in, was the safety spot, but with Auburn transfer, Jonathan Rose, we should be good! Players who needed to shine, did not, and I still question myself, on why we changed our defensive scheme. It is what it is, and a loss or a win, I support the Huskers and our movement to become a better team. We are better than we were last year, whether some want to admit it or not.

On another side note, our offensive line needs some discipline. TOO many penalties, from an undisciplined line. I hope to not see a performance like that again this year.

I support Taylor. I think his is BY FAR our best option , and when given some decent blocking and play calling, hes very good. Love RK jrs, heart and dedication, but hes not the answer, and no way u throw an untested Freshman to the wolves!

At least one of the picks (pick 6?) was a terrible play call. That's not a throw he makes well, and everybody on the field, in the stadium, and in the damn world could see that one coming.Not that any QB is that great with someone in their face,or in constant long yardage situations, but that's really not Taylors forte.

TMART is terrible considering that Nebraska is suppose to have the smartest fan base I am puzzled why so many support this guy. Come on people if you can't take care of the ball you can't play QB period that is rule number 1 of football. When you learn RULE NUMBER 1 of football we will open back up this discussion. I am done talking about this pathetic QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Jamal Turner should have been kept at QB, but first thing is first Pelini has absolutely got to go!!

Idiots like this make me not want to read this board at all.

Love him one day.. throw rocks at him the next.

Exactly. The young man still played hard and scored points for us. He made some great runs, yet he had a poor performance overall. This was definitely not his best game, yet our offense still put up BIG numbers against a decent rush defense in Ohio St. This loss is not solely on Taylor and everyone can agree with that, however, those INT's gave Ohio St. momentum....and that posed a huge threat to NEB winning the game IMO. It still boggles my mind on what happened to the defense after the first 2-3 series....where did the blitzing go!? It was working!!!

TMART is terrible considering that Nebraska is suppose to have the smartest fan base I am puzzled why so many support this guy. Come on people if you can't take care of the ball you can't play QB period that is rule number 1 of football. When you learn RULE NUMBER 1 of football we will open back up this discussion. I am done talking about this pathetic QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Jamal Turner should have been kept at QB, but first thing is first Pelini has absolutely got to go!!

Yep.....same here. Jamal is starting to come around as a reliable WR....he'll stay there, as he should.

I'll have to rewatch parts of the game because I was pretty drunk and can't remember much after the half lol. From what I remember, Jamal was tearing it up.

Yep.....same here. Jamal is starting to come around as a reliable WR....he'll stay there, as he should.

I'll have to rewatch parts of the game because I was pretty drunk and can't remember much after the half lol. From what I remember, Jamal was tearing it up.

I agree. Jamal was pretty solid, and I think he might have found a greater role in the offense after Saturday. I love all of our receivers, tight ends included. Bell, Enunwa, Turner, Osborne, Reed, and Cotton make for a pretty awesome set of players for Taylor to throw the ball to.

Right now... on our team... Taylor Martinez is the best guy we have. Is he a heisman quarterback? No. Is he one of the top 5 in the country this year? No. Is he one of the top 20? Absolutely. And really... the only knock I have on him is his inconsistency and unreliability in the passing game and then his ball security issues. I think he makes pretty good decisions this year. I think he reads defenses pretty well. I think he is a sensational runner. But his passing (ball placement) is still not good. I think a lot of this has to do with the offensive line. They aren't a machine. He can't trust them to be consistent. If you look at the 3 INT's he threw in the Ohio State game... all 3 were because of bad footwork (due to offensive line failure to block). Rex missed a block once. Ameer missed a block once. Rodriguez got killed multiple times. When Taylor went back in his 5 step drop... he made it through 4 steps before the Defensive lineman had already beat his block and was coming through the hole... thus forcing him to deliver a quick pass to a receiver before he had his feet set and before he had time to look through his other progressions where there were wide open players. I think if Taylor has a better offensive line, then he calmly moves through his progressions and finds the open receiver without forcing it to the closet one on the sidelines. You see him do this when we play less talented teams and our OLine beats them well. Thus I think a lot of the reason why Pelini stands behind Martinez is because he knows this.

Brion Carnes, was a 4 star recruit... but he did not shape out to be even close to as good as Taylor. He makes bad decisions. Panics when a play breaks down. And does not throw consistent strikes either.

Ron Kellogg Jr. is a pocket passing QB with no scrambling ability. He's got no experience. He threw an INT against a mediocre team in a no pressure situation during one of his first 3 drives against Idaho State. He was a walk on and didn't have any other main D1 scholarship offers.

Tommy Armstrong could be very good for us. But he has no playing experience... and to pull a redshirt off of him at this time would mean we would waste him for 2 years. He is not better than Martinez at this time as he needs to get faster mentally and more consistent with his decision making. He needs these 2 years with Taylor to learn from him and grow. Next year he will be the backup. The following year he will start for us.

Johnny Stanton has a lot of potential coming in... but Johnny blew his ACL. If you look at the players who blow ACL's... very very few come back to remain injury free and to be as good as they were before. Many blow them again in the future. Many never quite have the speed or confidence they did before. And most need 8 months of rehab, and a year of playing before they gain confidence to be back up to speed, thus 2 years. Thus, I worry that this injury will play a lingering role in his future. Before the ACL tear I would have said Stanton and Armstrong battle each other for the starting spot in 2014... but I think Stanton rehabs this year... redshirts next year... and then ends up as a backup behind Armstrong.

Four turnovers is unacceptable. Period. End of story.

Go have some cheese and crackers and get off of T-Mart's back. Beck's play calling and an O-L that stinks are the problem. That's the end of the story.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I would agree with the OL part. But I don't have a problem with Becks playcalling. This board has been rippping him for not continuing to pound the ball with the running game. We started that game pounding the ball and it was getting us nothing, forcing us into long yardage situations on 3rd down and putting TM in obvious passing situations. And we know how that often turns out. It still comes down to, if a play works everyone loves it, if it doesn't, it was a bad call. I like the way Beck has been mixing things up.

And the bottom line is that no matter what the play call, only one guy is throwing the pass. The pick six wasn't caused by the call, it was caused by a ball thrown badly behind the receiver. If he puts it out in front, it's a first down for us and we're still moving.

Four turnovers is unacceptable. Period. End of story.

Go have some cheese and crackers and get off of T-Mart's back. Beck's play calling and an O-L that stinks are the problem. That's the end of the story.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I would agree with the OL part. But I don't have a problem with Becks playcalling. This board has been rippping him for not continuing to pound the ball with the running game. We started that game pounding the ball and it was getting us nothing, forcing us into long yardage situations on 3rd down and putting TM in obvious passing situations. And we know how that often turns out. It still comes down to, if a play works everyone loves it, if it doesn't, it was a bad call. I like the way Beck has been mixing things up.

And the bottom line is that no matter what the play call, only one guy is throwing the pass. The pick six wasn't caused by the call, it was caused by a ball thrown badly behind the receiver. If he puts it out in front, it's a first down for us and we're still moving.

I was thinking just the opposite. I think we threw that same pass a couple of times against Wiscy and was the pass that Bielema had in mind when he made the comment at halftime about floating passes. OSU recognized it and Roby jumped the route so badly I don't think it mattered where Taylor placed the ball. Roby would have gotten a hand on it. At best it would have been an incompletion. An out and up route could have burned them badly if we had identifed tight coverage.