B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

for the folks that feel it will be the Big XII north part deux:

1. Unless something drastic happens they will be realigning again in a few years.

2. There will be a protective crossover since the Old Oaken Bucket will not be going away. My guess is that you get the wolverweenies.

The IU/ Purdue game is the only protected crossover.

hows that possible ?

sounds like a mistake on the B1G's part

1. Unless something drastic happens they will be realigning again in a few years.

2. There will be a protective crossover since the Old Oaken Bucket will not be going away. My guess is that you get the wolverweenies.

hows that possible ?

That's been the story for awhile now. They want "flexibility" in scheduling.

It's actually better for all teams involved.

It guarantees all teams in the West division at least one of Michigan/OSU/Penn State every year...except for PU who's probably happy to keep the rivalry game going anyway. It also resolves the unbalanced schedules that existed in the old alignment where Michigan, Nebraska, MSU, OSU, Wisky and Penn State played tougher schedules than the rest of the conference due to the protected cross-over games

hows that possible ?

That's been the story for awhile now. They want "flexibility" in scheduling.

That...and to be honest, if FSU does happen to join the B1G, I'm thinking there's a strong contingent of Nebraska fans that want that game instead as a yearly protected crossover. :)

Just saw this pop up on Twitter:

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV21 Apr

BIG expansion update tomorrow. Connect some dots, share some new info and reading the tea leaves. Big Ten, ACC and Big 12 take note.

Would be interested to see...we've already seen details on the Notre Dame/ACC scheduling alliance and how Notre Dame is getting the better part of that deal.

Considering the whispers are that Maryland and the ACC have a deal in principal reached, I wonder if we see how much of an ACC Notre Dame has left to play?

Just saw this pop up on Twitter:

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV21 Apr

BIG expansion update tomorrow. Connect some dots, share some new info and reading the tea leaves. Big Ten, ACC and Big 12 take note.

Would be interested to see...we've already seen details on the Notre Dame/ACC scheduling alliance and how Notre Dame is getting the better part of that deal.

Considering the whispers are that Maryland and the ACC have a deal in principal reached, I wonder if we see how much of an ACC Notre Dame has left to play?

Must mean that the SEC is going to go after Miami and Florida St

ACC Announces Grant of Rights Deal

A Grand of Rights, in basic form, is written permission from league members to relinquish control of television rights to the league for the duration of the deal. There's a correlation between the GOR and the ACC's push for a 24-hour channel that would mirror the format of the Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12.

The league is evaluating the viability of a channel with ESPN, which is gathering info and will get back to the league soon. From what I'm told, league members are encouraged about those talks so far.

I'm not yet sure what the GOR means for the ACC's lawsuit with Big Ten-bound Maryland over the $50 million exit fee the league put in place last year. Maryland and Florida State were the only league members to vote against the exit fee.

This means no poaching ACC teams for the Big Ten for the forseeable future. It would take a legal challenge for a team to exit the ACC now.

EDIT!!!

Maybe I spoke too soon. Looks like the legal ramifications mean a Grant of Rights isn't the final nail in the coffin of conference expansion.

Myth of the Big 12's Grant of Rights

Agrant of rights is a contract between each individual school and the conference pledging the school's media rights to conference for a number of year. Like all contracts, it can be broken. School X, member of Conference A who has granted its media rights to Conference A, thinks it can make more money in Conference B. So School X leaves Conference A for Conference B placing its media rights in Conference B. Now School X's games will be distributed by both conferences. At this point School X has breached the grant of rights agreement, Conference A will sue School X over the media rights under the grant of rights agreement.

Conference A would love to force School X to leave its media rights with Conference A, requesting a court require specific performance of the grant of rights. This is the threat of the grant of rights, the tie that binds so to speak. If a court were to elect the specific performance remedy then School X of course provides no value to Conference B. However, because specific performance is often difficult to enforce and requires more of the court's resources most courts rarely ever use this remedy.

Courts are even less inclined to use it when there is an easy way to calculate damages. The resulting damages from a breach of grant of rights are easily calculable. There is no reason to believe that a court would require specific performance in a suit over a breach of a grant of rights.

Saw that--one of the theories about the GOR is that it's all bark and no bite...mainly because no conference wants to be the one to pop the bubble and expose their own conference to defections while trying to poach others. But if one conference (say, the B1G) is confident they won't lose anyone to defections, then a GOR really isn't anything more than something that will force an out-of-court negotiation and settlement before a defection occurs.

In short, it merely postpones the inevitable poaching, but doesn't cancel it.