Bill Snyder vs. Tom Osborne - Who's the better coach?

ESPY

Some pathetic responses here.

Two programs so far apart in talent, so equal in coaching. Sad to see the homers that really have no clue as to what happened.

My guess is if you put Coach Snyder in Tom Osborne's shoe during those years it would have been exactly the same for Nebraska.

Two great coaches, and I am sure the KState fans feel Coach Snyder was the best. Much harder job than Tom had in every aspect. Small fan base, small stadium, small football income, farther off the beaten path than even Nebraska. Yet he did a fantastic job in comepting with Nebraska then and now.

Two great men that deserve our admiration, not sh**ty remarks.

• Fire 2

Some pathetic responses here.

Two programs so far apart in talent, so equal in coaching. Sad to see the homers that really have no clue as to what happened.

My guess is if you put Coach Snyder in Tom Osborne's shoe during those years it would have been exactly the same for Nebraska.

Two great coaches, and I am sure the KState fans feel Coach Snyder was the best. Much harder job than Tom had in every aspect. Small fan base, small stadium, small football income, farther off the beaten path than even Nebraska. Yet he did a fantastic job in comepting with Nebraska then and now.

Two great men that deserve our admiration, not sh**ty remarks.

What about Devaney?

Snyder is a great coach and has done great things at KSU. That being said, asking which of them is the better coach is bordering ridiculus. In any catagory that can be trotted out, TO is clearly the better coach. Head to head vs Snyder, NC's, whatever. It is impractical to slant the question with hypotheticals like "what if Snyder was hired instead of Pelini" or "would Tom have done as well as Snyder has at KSU" etc. It sure might fill a few pages on a message board but it is only conjecture. History has already proven the case for Osborne and Snyder doesn't have enough years left to begin to touch it.

I think we all know what Bill Snyder has done since returning as K-State's head coach is nothing short of miraculous. How he gets that team from where they were after he left to where they are now is just baffling to me, especially considering K-State is nowhere near the top when it comes to recruiting.

I'm not K-State backer by any means, but I'd like to think I recognize an outstanding coach when I see one. And that leads me to the big question of this thread - who is the better coach between Snyder and our own beloved Tom Osborne?

If TO had returned as head coach instead of AD, do you think he could've done what Snyder has done since his return to the sidelines? I'd like to think so, but I'm not so sure. No question Osborne is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but given the situation our program was in b/c of Pedersen/Callahan, could he have taken us to the elite status we all crave so much in the same span of time as Snyder?

I think we all know what Bill Snyder has done since returning as K-State's head coach is nothing short of miraculous. How he gets that team from where they were after he left to where they are now is just baffling to me, especially considering K-State is nowhere near the top when it comes to recruiting.

I'm not K-State backer by any means, but I'd like to think I recognize an outstanding coach when I see one. And that leads me to the big question of this thread - who is the better coach between Snyder and our own beloved Tom Osborne?

If TO had returned as head coach instead of AD, do you think he could've done what Snyder has done since his return to the sidelines? I'd like to think so, but I'm not so sure. No question Osborne is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but given the situation our program was in b/c of Pedersen/Callahan, could he have taken us to the elite status we all crave so much in the same span of time as Snyder?

Seriously. This is not a question. We know what the answer is.

Seriously. This is not a question. We know what the answer is.

True. TO has my vote - always has, always will. Just wanted to get other's thoughts on Snyder.

Really makes me wish TO had returned as coach.

I think Snyder has done a great job of getting way more out of his players than their abilities would suggest. But the truly great coaches don't stop there, they finish the task, which is championships. I don't think Snyder is even in the same catagory as TO, yes TO had better resources to work with, but he also elevated those resources into championships.

When the talk of great college coaches comes up, TO's name will always be on the list, but at this point I don't think Snyder's would. Doesn't diminish what he's done, I just don't think he's near that level (yet).

It's hard to compare Granny Snyder with Osborne. Dr. Tom took over a championship team, kept them at the top of the game for a quarter of a century. And then won three MNCs. Snyder accomplished an entirely different task. He took the crappiest team in college football and raised them to respectability. The Bobfather is a much better comparison to Snyder since Devaney also started with a crappy team. Not as crappy as KSU, but very mediocre. And Devaney is better than Snyder. Devaney won championships.

• Fire 1

Are you serious? Is this a real thread? Is this real life? Are you kidding me?

f#*k you. Do you know how disrespectful this sh#t is?

This is coming from someone who has two cousins that play for K-state. I've even told them numerous times how lucky they are to play for a great coach in Snyder. But snyder can't hold TO's jock strap. Get all the way the f#*k outta here.

I'll swoop a tampon out of my chics purse for you bro, really?.... as a Husker fan and former KSU student I paid my dues at the stadium in the student section sporting the red with pride. KSU fans can be difficult, I've seen the worst they have to offer. I've also known many who are wonderful people and I harbor no resentment towards their program. That being said, Snyder time and again has proven that he can make the most with what he has before him and get more out of average players than most coaches past/present. As was stated in a previous thread, Snyder continued the Iowa coaching pipeline through KSU and developed some 1st class talent in that area. In my opinion I give the edge to TO for sure though for many reasons. TO pretty much dominated the national scene in the mid/late nineties producing 2 of arguably the most dominant teams in NCAA history and 3 NC's. The rest of the time he was in bowl games and almost always a contender who owned his conference year in and year out. A niche coach and a perfect fit for us; we were very blessed. Snyder lacks the same consistency and aside from the Bishop years (or maybe the fiesta bowl year before Roberson meltdown at the hotel) has not really had a team dominate the national scene from start to finish. Much respect is due Snyder for what he has accomplished but TO has a far more polished resume. I have to say though, I was stoked to see KSU take WV out back behind the woodshed and take down Oklahoma at home...not to mention all those times they somehow managed to Power Towel Texas while we were stinking up our own stadium to the same team. CF is great...

GBR

If and it's a pretty big if at this juncture in the season KState plays in the NC game, you won't find a bigger KState fan than me primarily because I'd like to see someone other than a SEC team win the NC and Snyder deserves it. There is no clear winner here. You could make a legitimate argument why TO is better, and you can make a legitimate argument why Snyder is better.

It's difficult for me to use head to head games as a measure of who is the better coach. If we were to use coaches who beat TO more times than he beat them, then we'd have to say at least 12 coaches are/were better than TO. Does anyone really believe there are at least 12 coaches that are better than TO?

What surprises me with threads like this is why doesn't anyone compare a coach in a similar situation to TO? Why didn't the thread start with who is a better coach between TO and Saban? I'm afraid if the question was posed to a national audience of who is better between TO and Snyder, that it would be fairly lopsided in favor of Snyder for a couple of reasons. First, TO hasn't coached for nearly 15 years. Second, KState right now is the flavor of the month where national pundits are saying they're one of the few teams that might be able to knock off a SEC team in the NC game.

IMO, a better thread would be comparing the similarities between TO and Snyder. Both are/were great with player development, and both are/were great at evaluating talent bringing in lesser known and lesser recruited great talent. TO basically named his next coach in Solich while Snyder likewise basically named his next coach.

I'm kind of torn right now. I don't like KSU fans but I think Snyder deserves to win a NC and I'd rather he win it than an SEC team.

I am rooting for Ohio and K-State to win out. I like Snyder and if they pull off a miracle there, I hope their fans can handle the success with class.

Both were great coaches and anything beyond that general statement is really hard to defend --- too many other variables associated with the comparison to really isolate coach versus coach. Both are among the best coaches that have coached in the college game.

That Synder is in such rarified air in comparison to Osborne