You play like you practice.

There seem to be a lot of people who think the offense during Tom Osborne's glory days was simple smashmouth football.

Not even close.

That triple option was very complex, required precision execution and specialized personnel who risked NFL careers by playing an offense unseen in the pros. And the triple option was only part of the larger Tom Osborne offense, which might also revert to I formations and yes (gasp) around 20 pass attempts a game. On top of that, Osborne was famous for elaborate trick plays that were awesome when they worked, but sometimes didn't.

The triple option was always a fumble waiting to happen, but unlike folks here who freak out about our four interceptions this season and wonder why we bother to pass, nobody back then fretted about why we were running the ball so much.

We did have some pretty smashmouth linemen on both sides of the ball. I think that's what you're missing, not the playcalling.

I'm not sure if this deep into the season i like to read that "so and so beat out so and so in practice, so he'll get the start this week". Why haven't we achieved continuity on the O-line? And the D-line? Why do we have guys starting on Saturday that havent played many snaps the last 3-4 weeks, just because they had a good week of practice? Something is wrong with that system. I'm all for letting a guy know he's lagging and about to lose his job, maybe take some snaps away from him during the game and increase that if he doesn't get the message, but to have a few bad days of practice one week and lose your starting job? I don't buy that process.

There seem to be a lot of people who think the offense during Tom Osborne's glory days was simple smashmouth football.

Not even close.

That triple option was very complex, required precision execution and specialized personnel who risked NFL careers by playing an offense unseen in the pros. And the triple option was only part of the larger Tom Osborne offense, which might also revert to I formations and yes (gasp) around 20 pass attempts a game. On top of that, Osborne was famous for elaborate trick plays that were awesome when they worked, but sometimes didn't.

The triple option was always a fumble waiting to happen, but unlike folks here who freak out about our four interceptions this season and wonder why we bother to pass, nobody back then fretted about why we were running the ball so much.

We did have some pretty smashmouth linemen on both sides of the ball. I think that's what you're missing, not the playcalling.

It was complex for the OL. It wasn't so much for the RB's. In TO's offense, the brains easily belonged to the OL. There were very complex blocking schemes especially with how often the defenses changed scheme.

What Cain Mutiny has not spoke of yet is the strenght and conditioning of Nebraska football. Not just the 90's, but it was very advanced in the 80's as well. You dont seem to want to admit it, but there quite a few things Nebraska was just simply far more advanced at than x's and o's. The strength and conditioning during the early to mid 90's was way ahead of everyone else. We were taking average talent and making them great. Great talent and making them beasts. By the late 90's, people started catching up. College Football was fastly evolving into this huge business and everyone wanted a bite. Winning=$$. EVERYONE started to invest in the physcological and physical advances that had made Nebraska's run possible. When everyone did that, combined with 85 scholarship limits, we got the parody we see today. This maybe one of, if not the most important and forgotten reasons for Nebraska's so-called "struggles" today.

Not even close.

I dont think I said it was simple smashmouth football, if I did? I apologize to say that.. I never ever looked it as being simple. I seen it as whole process that began in the 1st quarter and continued until the 4th quarter..... I said his offense was constantly attacking the legs of defenses.. Once the legs were gone?, the next thing to come was bruiseing, then the defenders minds were next to go.. . Who likes getting beat up?.. Which was the point I was trying to make.

you are right, about smashmouth linemen..That is the entire point I am getting at,.... and Thats because Tom used them like bulldozers, when he had too. Nebraska has always had some great lineman, but? in this offense, how do we know if we even have smashmouth linemen in it? They are not highlighted, but wasted.. There will be no one on this line that will win any award.... its not because they are not good, its because they are being deprived to use there abilities by Beck's offense...

thats just how I see it..

The point is the team continues to make the same mistakes. We saw TO eventually switch out his 5-2 for the 4-3 on defense and recruit speed. Will Bo be able to correct any of these issues anytime soon? This should be were the criticism is...

The fact that we switched from the 5-2 to the 4-3 wasnt because we were makeing mistakes,in the 5-2?..... We switched because we had the athletes to run a 4-3 , and the 4-3 matches up better to faster offenses.

Oy! :blink: The fact that we switched showed that TO recognized a change needed to be made. Bo needs to realize we have a lot of the same problems for 5 years now and something needs to change to correct them. :facepalm:

What Cain Mutiny has not spoke of yet is the strenght and conditioning of Nebraska football. Not just the 90's, but it was very advanced in the 80's as well. You dont seem to want to admit it, but there quite a few things Nebraska was just simply far more advanced at than x's and o's. The strength and conditioning during the early to mid 90's was way ahead of everyone else. We were taking average talent and making them great. Great talent and making them beasts. By the late 90's, people started catching up. College Football was fastly evolving into this huge business and everyone wanted a bite. Winning=$$. EVERYONE started to invest in the physcological and physical advances that had made Nebraska's run possible. When everyone did that, combined with 85 scholarship limits, we got the parody we see today. This maybe one of, if not the most important and forgotten reasons for Nebraska's so-called "struggles" today.

That is why I said, We are wasteing the resources of Nebraska. Why have a weight program, why have walk ons, if we are going to run this finesse spread offense.. Because we dont use none of the benefits of those things, in the spread offense? Its all trickery to get players in open space..

That is why I said, We are wasteing the resources of Nebraska. Why have a weight program, why have walk ons, if we are going to run this finesse spread offense.. Because we dont use none of the benefits of those things, in the spread offense? Its all trickery to get players in open space..

Well I dont necessarily agree with you, Mr Accountablitily on other universities catching up to our strength program. I mean sure there are lots of places that may have better strength and conditioning venues... But ultimately it comes down to the individual.... and thats precisely the difference. Not every great athlete could play for Tom Osborne... Because it all boils down to heart and work ethic. Lots of great athletes just dont have it inside..... But alot of guys that played for Tom, had that navy seal mentality. I read lots of articles and quotes of what the Miami, FSU and Florida players said after the game was over........ In fact I still have these papers? i should post them. But it was really neat to read it, and just the respect that was given to Nebraska made it all worth while. It made me proud of the University of Nebraska... Because these guys had a difinite change of opinion after the game was over....

Well I dont necessarily agree with you, Mr Accountablitily on other universities catching up to our strength program. I mean sure there are lots of places that may have better strength and conditioning venues... But ultimately it comes down to the individual.... and thats precisely the difference. Not every great athlete could play for Tom Osborne... Because it all boils down to heart and work ethic. Lots of great athletes just dont have it inside..... But alot of guys that played for Tom, had that navy seal mentality. I read lots of articles and quotes of what the Miami, FSU and Florida players said after the game was over........ In fact I still have these papers? i should post them. But it was really neat to read it, and just the respect that was given to Nebraska made it all worth while. It made me proud of the University of Nebraska... Because these guys had a difinite change of opinion after the game was over....

Every, yes EVERY major college football program has a strenght and conditioning "program". Not just showing for an hour a day and doing squats and bench press. It's a program, from individually designed lifting practices based on the player and his position, to individual conditioning needs to nutrition. All these things are broken down so player specific it is mind boggling. What I'm saying is that in today's College football world, all the major players (probably the consistent top 75) have this program. There may be tweeking of programs and ideas here and there, but as far as moonshot and innovative ideas, those just are not as common anymore. This was different for Nebraska. It's well known nationally that Nebraska and Boyd Epply revolutionized the world of strength and conditioning for college football, if not collegiate athletics in general.

EDIT: I forgot to add that Nebraska is in the process right now of trying to regain these S&C advantages with the developments within the east stadium addition. I dont know how moonshot innovative they are or will be, but regardless, they probably wont remain a total secret for long, if they even are to begin with.

Next come the psychological advances. The unity council started by Jack Stark in 1991. A college football team hiring a full time team psychologist and implementing a player's representative democracy? WTF??!!. Well, now every team has their leadership councils and team psychologists. T

These are couple of factors as I said that contributed heavily to Nebraska's success. Gave us the intangible advantages needed to make the smashmouth football and the walk-ons work so effectively in that run.

Another factor we are suffering from now is lack of in-state talent. What was it, 10? all 11? of the offensive starters of the '97 National Championship football team were from Nebraska. It's because there was a overwhelming pride, that kids spent their whole childhood wanting to play for Nebraska. They worked for it. I believe that not only is the talent low, but there still lingers a slight disconnect. That overwhelming desire is not there. It's coming back I believe, but it's not where it needs to be yet.

I don't agree with the idea that we have less in-state talent. Rather, I believe it's the economy and the pricetag of a four year degree. Instead of in-state kids walking on at UNL, they are taking scholarships and playing for smaller colleges. Danny Woodhead comes to mind. I don't know what his exact situation was, but he chose to go to Chadron on scholly rather than walking on. A couple of years ago, there was a lot of optimism about a local kid from Cabridge playing at UNL. He wasn't offered a scholly, so he chose to go to I believe South Dakota State on a full ride scholly. I'm sure there's many examples of this. Twenty years ago, those guys are probably walking on for UNL. College tuition and fees has simply skyrocketed even as the economy has soured. I was watching Big Red Wrapup a month or so ago when they were talking about a couple of LB's from around either Lincoln or Omaha. One had been offered a scholly by UNL while the other hadn't. The one that hadn't was believed to be headed to Iowa as he was going to get a scholly. Again, 20 years ago he walks on. IMO, it's more about college costs than it is about lacking in-state talent.

• Fire 1

I don't agree with the idea that we have less in-state talent. Rather, I believe it's the economy and the pricetag of a four year degree. Instead of in-state kids walking on at UNL, they are taking scholarships and playing for smaller colleges. Danny Woodhead comes to mind. I don't know what his exact situation was, but he chose to go to Chadron on scholly rather than walking on. A couple of years ago, there was a lot of optimism about a local kid from Cabridge playing at UNL. He wasn't offered a scholly, so he chose to go to I believe South Dakota State on a full ride scholly. I'm sure there's many examples of this. Twenty years ago, those guys are probably walking on for UNL. College tuition and fees has simply skyrocketed even as the economy has soured. I was watching Big Red Wrapup a month or so ago when they were talking about a couple of LB's from around either Lincoln or Omaha. One had been offered a scholly by UNL while the other hadn't. The one that hadn't was believed to be headed to Iowa as he was going to get a scholly. Again, 20 years ago he walks on. IMO, it's more about college costs than it is about lacking in-state talent.

+1. Excellent point. An aspect I had not even considered.

I think it's more complicated than tuition and in state talent, it's a lot of different things rolled into one. But there's no denying Nebraska does lack talent purely from a numbers stand point, when you live in a state with less than 2 million people you're not going to have as many talented athletes as states with populations 4, 5, or 10 times as large. Kids in Nebraska just seem to be smaller and less developed for whatever reason, probably back to the numbers thing again, but that's a major thing I've noticed watching football in Lincoln, Northeastern and South western/central Nebraska. We get a couple of good prospects a year here but when you live in Ohio, Michigan, Texas, Florida you have several excellent prospects to choose from every year and a plethora of good ones.