You play like you practice.

Measureing stick......... Michigan got throttled by Alabama, That Michigan team also had a healthy Dennard, and it was at a nuetral site............. Not sure how you can really compare it, but? Basically Nebraska played against Michigans second team, in the second half... While many may consider this a worthy win... I dont.... The Reason? imagine if we had a studded d-fense all the time., that was able to shut teams down, like we did with Michigan tonite..(asterik no Dennard) We still stink offensively, how can anyone argue this? Big deal about being ranked 6th in rushing.. Those yards all came against dud teams.(I am tired of mentioning this). Our offense is not good!! Because? We are weak. Nebraska has absolutely no power game with these guys from Ohio.. This very same thing is happening to Oklahoma,(and where are those guys from?) Because they are geared the same way as we are.

I still think we are lucky to win this game.... It could have been very easily the other way. All this game told me was, We got miles to go yet..

Another win...More Derp from the newest Troll on the board. If you're going to stick around, can you get spell check?

First, let me start by saying great win agianst Mich. I thought we were going to get dump trucked and might have if shoelaces arm didn't go dead. But the sloppyness continues. We more than doubled penalties and yards of the other team. We had 104 yds in penalties that easily cost us 10 pts. Add on another two turnovers and your looking at at least another 7. Bo cost us 15 yds himself. How does Bo ever expect to get this team to the next level if he can't even avoid making stupid mistakes? The mistakes made last night if made against a top opponent would have flipped that game into a blowout in the wrong direction.

I'm about ready to delete the graveyard in the signature and replace it with Bo Pelinis sloppiest games and list turnovers and penalty yards with the final scores of those games. Unfortunately I don't think the mods will allow for a sig that long.

You've got to be kidding me with the penalties and the turnovers complaint.

There were 8 penalties called on us...and I'll run down the legitimacy of them right now:

1) Chop Block--15 yards--questionable at best

2) Targeting a defenseless receiver--15 yards--questionable at best; Michigan's WR doesn't put his head down, PJ hits him square in the shoulder. Like I was saying while I was at the game, the WRs head was there after PJ jumped to tackle, what more could he have done? But I suppose that's just poor discipline.

3) Defensive holding--15 yards--about the only good call made by that crew.

4) There's another 15 yarder in their that I can't remember, but was probably legitimate.

5) Targeting a defenseless receiver--15 yards--VERY questionable at best. Mitchell leads with his shoulder, and hits the receiver in the SHOULDER. So unless you played football with your helmet on your shoulder, that wasn't targeting.

6) Unsportsmanlike--15 yards--Again, only the product of an unbelievably bad targeting call, which was the second in the game. I think the refs had sand in their vulvas, "wha, wha, Bo Pelini yelled at me! WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

7) Illegal procedure--0 yards--Oops.

8) Defensive Pass Interference--15 yards--Another awful call. He didn't at all interfere with the receiver's ability to catch the ball. He touched his arm, and that was it...

So really, I agree with the chop block, defensive holding, and the illegal procedure...3 penalties, 30 yards.

And now the turnovers:

1) Taylor fumbled the ball after getting crunched into by a 300 pound linemen, let me know if you could hold onto the football while that happens.

2) Taylor threw the ball to a receiver who has open, and the LB made a great play to tip the ball. If you think that INT was on Taylor or even the coaching staff, then you are mistaken.

There's a difference between bad turnovers (aka Northwestern) and acceptable turnovers. Both of these are acceptable. Weren't sloppy at all.

But I suppose some people aren't happy unless we have 0 turnovers or 0 penalties every game of the year. Anything else, and we're undisciplined.

That's an excellent run down of the penalties. It was a very poor job by the officials. I won't go so far to say they were biased against NU. But we somehow ended up with most of the bad calls. I think they were just a crappy officiating crew.

Serious question. What is an acceptable amount of penalty yardage a game? 50,100 somewhere in between? I would like to see what percentage of games over the last five years we have gone over that amount. Then we can gauge the teams progress in receiving penalties moving forward. Anyone up for some stat gathering?
I would say somewhere between 25-50 yards a game on average. I also nominate you for stat gathering. :lol:

I am working on a spreadsheet right now. I am through the 1st two years and oh boy. This is frightning stuff. I am sure that Bo himself is aware of these stats but I wonder if he knows that we are soon going to be aware of these now.

I disagree.

IMO, we would have won with Dennard in the game. They had a total of like 70 yards at half-time. There is NO way to say that the outcome would have been different with him in there.

Well you can certainly say that Michigan had a helluva lot better chance with Dennard, than without him.. .... Bellomy only completed 2 passes... And the strategy on defense completely changed......we were able to blitz him. Nebraska may have won, with Dennard in there but to say we would have won for sure, is total BS. Because Dennard is a helluva lot better than that guy that replaced him.. And? This Nebraska team has tons of miles to go to be even considered to be at Alabama's level. If you ask me? The ground between Alabama, is wideing at an alarming rate...

Alabama is in a league of their own..Top notch coaching and recruiting. Seasons only half over but if they keep this up, they may be one of the best college teams ever to play the game..behind only our beloved 71 and 95 Huskers

Bama is in a conference that is in a league of it's own, and they for the most part are dominating it.

Measureing stick......... Michigan got throttled by Alabama, That Michigan team also had a healthy Dennard, and it was at a nuetral site............. Not sure how you can really compare it, but? Basically Nebraska played against Michigans second team, in the second half... While many may consider this a worthy win... I dont.... The Reason? imagine if we had a studded d-fense all the time., that was able to shut teams down, like we did with Michigan tonite..(asterik no Dennard) We still stink offensively, how can anyone argue this? Big deal about being ranked 6th in rushing.. Those yards all came against dud teams.(I am tired of mentioning this). Our offense is not good!! Because? We are weak. Nebraska has absolutely no power game with these guys from Ohio.. This very same thing is happening to Oklahoma,(and where are those guys from?) Because they are geared the same way as we are.

I still think we are lucky to win this game.... It could have been very easily the other way. All this game told me was, We got miles to go yet..

Another win...More Derp from the newest Troll on the board. If you're going to stick around, can you get spell check?

Does my spelling bother u that much Mrs. Dewey? u no what?.. I dont care....lol

First, let me start by saying great win agianst Mich. I thought we were going to get dump trucked and might have if shoelaces arm didn't go dead. But the sloppyness continues. We more than doubled penalties and yards of the other team. We had 104 yds in penalties that easily cost us 10 pts. Add on another two turnovers and your looking at at least another 7. Bo cost us 15 yds himself. How does Bo ever expect to get this team to the next level if he can't even avoid making stupid mistakes? The mistakes made last night if made against a top opponent would have flipped that game into a blowout in the wrong direction.

I'm about ready to delete the graveyard in the signature and replace it with Bo Pelinis sloppiest games and list turnovers and penalty yards with the final scores of those games. Unfortunately I don't think the mods will allow for a sig that long.

You've got to be kidding me with the penalties and the turnovers complaint.

There were 8 penalties called on us...and I'll run down the legitimacy of them right now:

1) Chop Block--15 yards--questionable at best

2) Targeting a defenseless receiver--15 yards--questionable at best; Michigan's WR doesn't put his head down, PJ hits him square in the shoulder. Like I was saying while I was at the game, the WRs head was there after PJ jumped to tackle, what more could he have done? But I suppose that's just poor discipline.

3) Defensive holding--15 yards--about the only good call made by that crew.

4) There's another 15 yarder in their that I can't remember, but was probably legitimate.

5) Targeting a defenseless receiver--15 yards--VERY questionable at best. Mitchell leads with his shoulder, and hits the receiver in the SHOULDER. So unless you played football with your helmet on your shoulder, that wasn't targeting.

6) Unsportsmanlike--15 yards--Again, only the product of an unbelievably bad targeting call, which was the second in the game. I think the refs had sand in their vulvas, "wha, wha, Bo Pelini yelled at me! WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

7) Illegal procedure--0 yards--Oops.

8) Defensive Pass Interference--15 yards--Another awful call. He didn't at all interfere with the receiver's ability to catch the ball. He touched his arm, and that was it...

So really, I agree with the chop block, defensive holding, and the illegal procedure...3 penalties, 30 yards.

And now the turnovers:

1) Taylor fumbled the ball after getting crunched into by a 300 pound linemen, let me know if you could hold onto the football while that happens.

2) Taylor threw the ball to a receiver who has open, and the LB made a great play to tip the ball. If you think that INT was on Taylor or even the coaching staff, then you are mistaken.

There's a difference between bad turnovers (aka Northwestern) and acceptable turnovers. Both of these are acceptable. Weren't sloppy at all.

But I suppose some people aren't happy unless we have 0 turnovers or 0 penalties every game of the year. Anything else, and we're undisciplined.

Man just reading through that made me realize just how poor the officiating was. They had some really bad calls that went against UM too. I will say though, that I don't aggree that the chopblock was a penalty, unless there is a rule that I don't know about. AFAIK it should have been ok because it was between the tackles, within 2 yards of the los, and the defender was not engaged with another player.

Serious question. What is an acceptable amount of penalty yardage a game? 50,100 somewhere in between? I would like to see what percentage of games over the last five years we have gone over that amount. Then we can gauge the teams progress in receiving penalties moving forward. Anyone up for some stat gathering?
I would say somewhere between 25-50 yards a game on average. I also nominate you for stat gathering. :lol:

After some stat gathering this is what I found:

Opponents:

71-477yds and 17 TO's, avg/game 5-37 and 1.3 TO's

Us:

94-800 yds and 29 TO's, avg/game 7-62 and 2.2 TO's

We incurred more penalty yardage than the other team in 85% of our games.

Opponents:

84-678 yds and 28 TO's, avg/game 6-48 and 2 TO's

Us:

100-894 and 23 TO's, avg/game 7-64 and 1.6 TO's

We saw some improvement in the turnover department, but I think much of this is attributed to Bo shutting the offense down so it didnt cause an apocolypse. We incurred more penalty yardage than the opponent in 79% of our games.

Opponents:

63-552 yds and 22 TO's, avg/game 5-39 and 1.6 TO's

Us:

109-993 and 24 TO's, avg/game 8-71 and 1.7 TO's

Fairly close in turnover margin. However, the Big12 going away party had us incurring penalties at an alarming rate. 79% of our games we incurred more yardage than the opponent.

Opponents:

77-756 yds and 18 TO's, avg/game 6-58 and 1.4 TO's

Us:

86-688 and 19 TO's, avg/game 7-53 and 1.7 TO's

Lowest amount of total penalties incurred since Bo arrived. However, still handing the ball over to the other team more than we take it away. Dramatically better in the fact that we only incurred more penalty yardage than the opponent in 38% of our games.

Opponents:

45-420 yds and 12 TO's, avg/game 6-53 and 1.5 TO's

Us:

53-539 yds and 20 TO's, avg/game 6-67 and 2.5 TO's

Little over half way but still averaging about 1 personal foul more than the opponent and coughing the ball up 1 more time than the opponent. At this point we have only incurred more penalty yardage than the opponent in 38% of our games.

In Bo's 5 years here our opponents avg 5 penalties for 46 yds and 1.5 turnovers. Nebraska averages 7 penalties for 63 yds and 1.9 turnovers. In 68% of our games we incur more penalty yardage than the opponent. Take this info for what its worth. I find it odd that we incur 2 more penalties and 17 more yds a game than the opponent. I do know that we will never return to prominence by incurring more penalties and turning the ball over more than our opponent. In 5 years that is exactly what we have done.

• 2 years later...

Havent posted much around here lately due to how painfully upset I am with this program. Its gotten to the point where I have become disinterested. However, two years after my original question/statement I believe its safe to say nothing has changed around this program. Saturday's embarrasment is just another reminder of what we have become. An average team with an average coach. We can't even stumble on a win over a ranked opponent. Hell Iowa Friggin State beats a top 25 team once every couple years.