Is Taylor Martinez as good as Braxton Miller and Denard Robinson?

Denard has no business being on that list, anyone with equal TDs to INTs or worse shouldn't be sniffing that list unless they have some other ungodly numbers. Not to mention he's choked in more big games this year than Taylor, and Taylor hardly even choked against OSU.

catch him if you can.

Dennard can be electrifying...but he hasn't shown much against solid competition...

Taylor falls in the same category as Dennard... He is electrifying too, but its always against poor competition.

Taylor is hot and cold. He's had very good, and he's also had quite a bit of very bad. He is less of a runner than the other two, but I don't think any running QB has dedicated himself as much to throwing as Taylor has in the past year, and it's to his considerable credit.

He still needs to cut down on mistakes. When the play breaks down he's often far too careless with the ball. I'm glad we didn't get a safety that time for example, but a) we should have, and b) that could have easily been a pick in the endzone.

Again, there are lots of great quarterbacks out there putting up crazy numbers and winning big games. Martinez played himself out of the competition in two big televised games -- and I think his reckless fumbles hurt him more than the interceptions -- but he stil has time to play himself back in. I think the national press has been pretty fair in their assessment of his skills and liabilities, and again, the Big 10 giving him 3 Offensive Player of the Week awards suggest he's not going unappreciated in the conference.

Taylor is hot and cold. He's had very good, and he's also had quite a bit of very bad. He is less of a runner than the other two, but I don't think any running QB has dedicated himself as much to throwing as Taylor has in the past year, and it's to his considerable credit.

He still needs to cut down on mistakes. When the play breaks down he's often far too careless with the ball. I'm glad we didn't get a safety that time for example, but a) we should have, and b) that could have easily been a pick in the endzone.

Watch the play again, if you're looking at Cotton dragging across the middle, then yes it's intentional grounding and a Safety. I didn't see it the first time, but during BTN replay I saw it. McDermott is sitting at the end of the line and stays in to block, just before the ball is released it looks like he's going out on a route. Since he's an eligible receiver, that's why the refs didn't call intentional grounding.

The refs called it wrong, but it was the right call.

Taylor sits, right now, at:

Points Responsible For: #17

Total Offense: #33

Passing Efficiency: #18 (leads B1G)

He quarterbacks a team who ranks:

Statistic - Nation (Conference)

Rushing Offense - 7 (1)

Passing Efficiency - 17 (1)

Scoring Offense - 18 (1)

Total Offense - 15 (1)

He's rushed 100 times for 461 yards and 6 TDs.

Passing, he's 138/209 (66%) with 16 TDs and 5 INTs.

His QB rating sits at 158 right now. Last year he finished at 126, pretty paltry for a college QB.

Without Taylor we don't beat Wisconsin. We don't beat Northwestern. We don't beat Michigan. Without Taylor we get utterly demolished at UCLA, rather than losing by one score. Taylor had a piss-poor game against Ohio State. He's not perfect. But he's the best player on this team, and he's easily our MVP.

Frankly, I don't care if he's better or worse than Robinson and/or Miller. They're not Huskers. Taylor came here, and at this point, I'm damned glad to have him.

• Fire 6

Rushing Offense - 7 (1)

Scoring Offense - 18 (1)

Total Offense - 15 (1)

His QB rating sits at 158 right now. Last year he finished at 126, pretty paltry for a college QB.

Without Taylor we don't beat Wisconsin. We don't beat Northwestern. We don't beat Michigan. Without Taylor we get utterly demolished at UCLA, rather than losing by one score. Taylor had a piss-poor game against Ohio State. He's not perfect. But he's the best player on this team, and he's easily our MVP.

Frankly, I don't care if he's better or worse than Robinson and/or Miller. They're not Huskers. Taylor came here, and at this point, I'm damned glad to have him.

Well said. Taylor has taken a beating on the field and off the field. I've not seen as important a player be this reviled since Jammal Lord.

Rushing Offense - 7 (1)

Scoring Offense - 18 (1)

Total Offense - 15 (1)

Kids playing w/ heart. The Northwestern game was him taking the team on his shoulders. Love the fact that he's pushing his 70% prediction. With what we have coming up he very well could reach it. He's a few untimely turnovers away from having a great season. Love to see him finish.

Rushing Offense - 7 (1)

Scoring Offense - 18 (1)

Total Offense - 15 (1)

Amen!

Denard has no business being on that list, anyone with equal TDs to INTs or worse shouldn't be sniffing that list unless they have some other ungodly numbers. Not to mention he's choked in more big games this year than Taylor, and Taylor hardly even choked against OSU.

catch him if you can.

But when you do, he leaves injured.

We did and he did.

Taylor is a gamer. Talented, tough, and an capable leader. He's taken games on his back and won them for us. Sure he makes mistakes--any QB does. But we are lucky to have him. I'd hate to think where we would be without him.

• Fire 1

I just hope that we can return to this thread with continued praises for Martinez after our game at MSU. While he's had lots of electrifying moments and taken the team on his shoulders in several wins, he's still too prone to strange decisions and costly turnovers, especially in important B1G road games, which is what we have again this week.

To me, the perfect word to describe Martinez is "enigma". On that note, I will say that he belongs with Miller as the top QB in this league. But for me, the jury is still out on whether or not he's better. A big indicator of that comes in the form of being able to play consistently well and win conference road games, and Martinez isn't there yet.

Said it a few weeks ago and I'll reiterate it here: Taylor is going to end up on my (admittedly long) list of favorite Huskers.

People don't appreciate how banged up that kid was, playing in the Big 12 championship game against Oklahoma. (As a Freshman, no less.) Has TWO injuries that, alone, often sideline guys for substantial periods of time. So Taylor has a rough game, especially in the second half, and takes a bunch of bad sacks. Well...the truth is, he couldn't really run. He probably shouldn't have even been out there, but we simply had no other options.

A deluge of criticism follows, "deer in the headlights" claims. If that's me, I'd have a damn strong urge to say "listen, I was significantly injured, and I gutted it out. So save it, ingrates." Taylor never said a single word. Just endured it, and hasn't done much since other than take exponential leaps in growth, decision making, and passing accuracy.

Some Nebraska players just seem to draw the ire of fans more than others. Like Jammal Lord was endlessly underappreciated in my opinion (another incredibly tough kid,) so it seems with Taylor. I admit to falling for the character fault claims his first year, which was folly because I witnessed none of those alleged events.

Taylor is a gamer. Pelini gets in his face at A@M, and everyone nationally makes a big deal out of it, but Martinez doesn't sulk for a minute. I'm a huge Taylor Martinez fan.

For the record, I think he's better than Robinson right now, more consistent at this stage in his career, and there is no reason to think he won't continue to improve as he has.

Miller is a special athlete. He approaches rarified air in terms of athleticism, at least in the games I've watched. I'll still take Taylor 'cause I like the kid. I think he's got a ton of heart.

• Fire 7