We have gone to a clap cadence - why?

tmfr15

Has anybody noticed that we have gone to a clap cadence?

During the tOSU game, I noted that Braxton Miller was using the clap cadence, while Taylor was using kind of a diaganol slash motion, I believe with his left hand, as a form of cadence.

In other words, Miller would clap to signal he was ready for the snap while Taylor did the hand motion thing.

Lately, we are using the clap cadence too.

In fact, against Penn State, Pelini was convinced there, at least once, that PSU defenders were clapping to induce false starts.

I really don't care what cadence or signal they use, but I just noticed that it seemed like we started doing it some time shortly after the tOSU game.

Thoughts?

I have noticed this too, but I don't remember seeing the clap cadence at tOSU, probably because I wasn't paying that close of attention...honestly I was more interested in keeping myself emotionally connected to the game before ruined my night.

A clap certainly seems like an audible sound that can break through the noise of a rowdy crowd. So I guess makes since, specially because we are playing a venues that exceed 100k fans.

Jackson has been doing better but he snaps the ball low way too often

+1 I do not understand why Taylor has to bend over to receive the snap so often. Better too low than too high? It just seems that extra moment of time could be better used in developing the play.

Clapping keeps the Center looking forward at the defense instead of having to look between his legs. It also seems that since we've gone to clapping, the amount of bad snaps by Jackson has decreased.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it's also one of those small things that helps keep the up tempo going with the offense. If Jackson is having to look back, he has to reset his stance then snap the ball.

When we got to go to the practice before the Michigan game a couple weeks ago, I noticed something: on a number of shotgun plays Taylor would clap and wait, then Jackson would basically decide when to snap the ball. When he did snap it, Jackson would also yell out to activate the play.

Never had really seen this, letting the center cue the "Hut-Hut"

It never ceases to amaze me the things people don't know about football. This is such a common thing. Why is this garnering so much attention?

Just now noticing it because we have never seen the Huskers do it. And he never claps once, he seems to do it several times before getting the ball. I was told it is a way to try and make the defense jump offsides.