Our Backups need more play time

Branno

Defensive backup players looked alright (C+). Offensive backup players were terrible, particularly Ron Kellogg.

was he? I could only listen to the radio and watch the post of HB, but I was under the impresson his passes were right on the money, but dropped

Kellogg did all right. He could have been better, and that late fumble was basically his fault. He hit two or three receivers in the hands and they were dropped, so that stat will be a bit skewed.

One of the Terms & Conditions that you must accept when signing up for Huskerboard includes being critical of the team EVERY week, without exception.

*snip* ...In addition, by agreeing to these terms and conditions, any entity publishing content to the Huskerboard message boards will be required to include commentary and/or statements considered to be negative, in equal or greater proportion to content distinguishable as positive or indifferent... *snip*

I agree, though... It was a little sketchy watching that second team. Teams that reload, rather than rebuild, tend to see their second and third teamers playing in real games. Here's to hoping we see more of that going forward.

Defensive backup players looked alright (C+). Offensive backup players were terrible, particularly Ron Kellogg.

was he? I could only listen to the radio and watch the post of HB, but I was under the impresson his passes were right on the money, but dropped

Kellogg did all right. He could have been better, and that late fumble was basically his fault. He hit two or three receivers in the hands and they were dropped, so that stat will be a bit skewed.

At least 3 drops I counted for sure. Definitely not bad passes. I can imagine that most teams, if playing the majority of their backups, would look rather poor like we did today. It is not just us. When backups were mixed with the starters, they did not look as bad.

I don't see a single scenario where all 11 starters will be out of the game at the same time and force us to use an entire line up of second stringers. This worry about backups is way over blown.

I have never figured out why people thing getting 10-12 plays in a couple games makes you so much better than getting 50-60 reps every day in practice all year long.

Would I like them to play more? Sure. Is that somehow going to be the magic bullet that makes you into an All-Conference player? Not a chance.