Coaching Changes?

People really need to stop with this 9+ win garbage argument. Bo has played in the BigXII North when it blew and a terrible B1G. His 9 wins are padded by 3 non BCS schools that blow. He also plays 13-14 games a year. Used to play more like 11. All that matters to me is BCS competition and W/L against top 25 teams. Both f which have been average and that is generous. We are Nebraska. We put too much money etc into this program and are currently Frank Solich 2.0! Always saying oh we got this one recruit that is a stud and will turn this baby around only to realize everyone else is pedestrian and we skate by.

A comparable number to 9 wins a season in today's scheduling format would be 11 wins a season roughly. We are average and it is hidden by the competition we face.

There were several times this season when I stopped and shuddered at the thought of being back in the Big12 as they are currently....Baylor, Kstate, Okst, OU, Tex, TCU, TT and probably ISU would've all beaten us and maybe even WVU as our turnouvers would have allowed them to outscore us....

To be fired:

Garrison and Cotton. The offensive line play is just far to inconsistent and against any decent defense it is embarrassing.

Papuchis. The defensive line is terrible and that is his main charge.

Els. The special teams are a debacle week in, week out. If it's not crappy coverage, it is fumbled punts. Linebacker play is not good, and the recruiting so far seems to be lacking quite a bit.

On the hot seat:

Brown. His running back rotation is questionable at best. Abdullah is great, but Heard and Cross have needed to play more all season.

Gets a pass:

Beck. He's shown improvement and should be allowed to continue to improve.

Give him a raise:

Joseph. The only bright spot on the defense was the secondary.

Fisher. The WRs have been outstanding.

To be fired:

Garrison and Cotton. The offensive line play is just far to inconsistent and against any decent defense it is embarrassing.

Papuchis. The defensive line is terrible and that is his main charge.

Els. The special teams are a debacle week in, week out. If it's not crappy coverage, it is fumbled punts. Linebacker play is not good, and the recruiting so far seems to be lacking quite a bit.

On the hot seat:

Brown. His running back rotation is questionable at best. Abdullah is great, but Heard and Cross have needed to play more all season.

Gets a pass:

Beck. He's shown improvement and should be allowed to continue to improve.

Give him a raise:

Joseph. The only bright spot on the defense was the secondary.

Fisher. The WRs have been outstanding.

I would give a raise to Brown. He has developed all four as guys who can come in and contribute. Unsure if he is the guy that actually says who will play.

People really need to stop with this 9+ win garbage argument. Bo has played in the BigXII North when it blew and a terrible B1G. His 9 wins are padded by 3 non BCS schools that blow. He also plays 13-14 games a year. Used to play more like 11. All that matters to me is BCS competition and W/L against top 25 teams. Both f which have been average and that is generous. We are Nebraska. We put too much money etc into this program and are currently Frank Solich 2.0! Always saying oh we got this one recruit that is a stud and will turn this baby around only to realize everyone else is pedestrian and we skate by.

A comparable number to 9 wins a season in today's scheduling format would be 11 wins a season roughly. We are average and it is hidden by the competition we face.

If it's so easy to do, why is Bo only one of 2 coaches currently, and 1 of only 4 in history to do it? There is a thread on it somewhere about this 9 win thing already and that even though there are more games in a season, the competitiveness, frequency of coaching turnover, and scholarship limts creating parody, 9 wins is still the standard, especially on a multi year basis.

Regular season, I'm not sure I can argue that. Offseason, we were having an outstanding run. Much more effort, and results, than in years past. Then it's sorta fizzled. Ostensibly at least, maybe we have a few 'silent's...dunno.

you know a lot more about recruiting than i do so i'll ask you, what did he do in the offseason that was so great i know he started having more junior days and big red weekend but all the big boy schools have those so i wouldnt say thats very original and what big name guys did we get out of big red weekend, with more and more elite recruits committing early like their junior years and in the summer we need to get more out of recruiting before the season starts

If it's so easy to do, why is Bo only one of 2 coaches currently, and 1 of only 4 in history to do it? There is a thread on it somewhere about this 9 win thing already and that even though there are more games in a season, the competitiveness, frequency of coaching turnover, and scholarship limts creating parody, 9 wins is still the standard, especially on a multi year basis.

Name the coaches and what conference they play in. If they played in the B12 North and the B1G then congrats Bo.

My two cents: coaches brown, fisher, Joseph and beck can stay. Cotton, els, Kaz, jp, dobson and garrison need evaluation. I'm not an expert and not saying everyone mentioned be fired but it appears Bo is so busy coaching the coaches that we don't scheme and game plan or shake things up. Never any thinking outside the box. Nothing new, innovative, imaginative, ....nothing. we always fall flat when playing average teams with good coaches. Under experienced coaches make for teams that look like Nebraska. It's time for a shake up and time to open the check book and hire some experience.

My two cents: coaches brown, fisher, Joseph and beck can stay. Cotton, els, Kaz, jp, dobson and garrison need evaluation.

This seems pretty fair to me. The offensive line is by far the weak link on the offense, and you can't have that. The front seven on defense has been atrocious most of the last two years, with the exception of Lavonte David. Not sure about Dobson - I think our problems might have more to do with technique than with speed or strength.

Here is the problem in a nut shell. How many of you at work are in a management or supervisory position. Or even "senior" in your current job. How many of you are brand new and starting out?

Bottom line, companies are staffed with experienced people. Law Enforcement and the military the same way. A brand new corporal can go the Sgt for advise, based upon years of experience. Same with a brand new Lt, go to the Cpt or Maj etc....... This staff, BO included have no one to go to. Theoretically, people know who has experience and who they can go to for advise and wise counsel.

I can assure you, under TO, if a team came out with some crazy game plan ie Wisky, McBride and Co would have adjusted. Why? Experience. Would TO have shifted to a different O to counter. Absoulutely. Why? Experience. Do teams with experienced coaches do better with less? Yes, IMO. Why. They do not have to try and learn and teach and implement. They already know their job. They do not have to learn it on the fly and try to teach and coach kids up at the same time.

I would guess that Beck/Paps/Els spend the majority of their time trying to "learn" their jobs leaving less time to teach. has Martinez improved? Yes. Why? He hired a coach to help him. beck and Co to busy to teach OUR QB how to get better. This should be a huge red flag that guys are in over their heads.

Experience brings a sense of calm to those around them under fire. Paps and Beck look to Bo for answers and he, based on lack of experience, really had none. Joseph looks to Paps, hell Els look to Paps and same result. Cotton, who has never coached the spread looks to Beck, with less experience and gets no answer. Garrison, former Husker, has never coached spread. He looks to Beck and again, no answers.

Last night showed, not a lack of talent (Bell, Enunwa, Rex, AA, Martinez, Reed etc, Evans, Compton, Stafford) but a complete failure on the experience of this staff. They had no answers across the board for anything. Had no experience to fall back on. No, oh I have been here or seen this before. Just shell shocked and lost.

Wisconsin O line coach isn't working out. Fired after 2 games. They go on to have two historic rushing performances in the same season, one against a good defensive coach in a championship game.

Nebraska O line coach isn't working out. Kept on staff until retirement. OCs shuffled in and out as they try to build schemes that overcome poor O line play. Turns out this isn't easy.

Wisconsin O line coach isn't working out. Fired after 2 games. They go on to have two historic rushing performances in the same season, one against a good defensive coach in a championship game.

Nebraska O line coach isn't working out. Kept on staff until retirement. OCs shuffled in and out a they try to build schemes that overcome poor O line play. Turns out this isn't easy.

This^.

Not keeping up to their standards, fired. We continue the same crap and truly expect different results.

The problem with this coaching staff started when it was assembled. No way Cotton should be coaching in FBS. I also have a problem with John P coming here in 2008 fresh off a grad assistant gig at LSU to D Coordinator (atleast in name) in 2012. You don't make that kinda progression at BCS school.

This didn't happen over night and won't be fixed over night. The coaching staff needs to have a come to Jesus meeting.

"fire 1 of the only 4 coaches in the history of college football to win 9+ games in his first 5 seasons."

Nuff said.

Actually it's not. There is still a wide gap between us and the elite teams and that gap hasn't closed. The sad part is these face stompings aren't to the top 5 teams in the country like Osborne's was.

Does Bo run a respectable program and make his players better men? Check. Do other teams who once dominated have tough years? Check. Has college football changed and made it harder for NU to win (scholarship restrictions, demographics, money)? Check. Does it suck when we get beat like that? Check. Do people go overboard based on individual game performances? Check.

Listen, I'm not happy about the coaching during this game (reminded me of the Callahan/stoops match up in the big12 title game), but I'm not going to pretend I know more the Bo or Osborne. Bo's name repeatedly gets brought up for job openings, and I don't even think he's looking. Why is that? Listen, we are going lose some games, but you can't look at one game. The team fought and played with passion this season, and when they weren't turning the ball over, had potential. But ultimately, the players are graduating, have good grades, are going to be productive members of society, and win 9+ games. That's not bad. Sure It would be nice for it to be more then that, but it's not that easy. Everyone want to win. Few constantly do.

It' is idiotic to compare an 21-7 loss to an 70-31 loss and say that the bad coaching was comparable. Bo was MUCH WORSE last night than Callahan was on that night and it's not even close. Oh yea, we are only graduating 69% of our players now, so that has fallen off too.

All I said is it reminded me - big difference. They were taking advantage of our weakeness. In the OU game, (just one example) they could throw the ball at will to the receiver Grixby covered (due to his size). Whereas, in this game they took advantage of our recent injuries. For example, stein was out and we had our linebackers focus on shoring up that area. So Wisconsin, expecting that, did quick runs to the outside. After we adjusted, they pushed inside.

Same on the offense. They knew our center was out. So they did a lot of stand up fronts to confuse the line. All of it worked to perfection (except when Taylor got away from the pressure). We got out coached.