**** What Did We Learn ****

Aside from the fact that this happened about 90 minutes ago, what magically makes this a "program changing loss?"

Knapp, the key word is "could". I think you'd be hard pressed to believe that Pelini needs better talent to make his scheme look competent against top competition. Embarrassing losses "can" affect recruiting. "Can" affect program support and perception. "Can" affect the bowl game performance. We won't know til the future, but I don't think its a leap to assume that a rousing win would've done much more for the entirety of the program than an embarrassing loss.

Agreed on all, but I think the point I'm making is, in the immediate angst-filled aftermath of this loss, this isn't the best time to be deciding if this is program-changing or not.

Two things...

1. Tom Osborne is the greatest coach in the history of college football. How is it that we still use him as our base comparison?

Who should "we" use as our base comparison? How about Devaney? I'll never get on board with an attitude that implies that losses like today should be deemed acceptable because the current coach isn't Tom Osborne. If I were a 'Bama fan, I'd probably consider Bryant our best coach, but that wouldn't mean I'd not hold Saban to maintaining that standard (not necessarily W/L record). :)

There is a middle road between "this is unacceptable because it's not as good as Tom Osborne did" and "this is acceptable because it's okay that it's not as good as Tom Osborne did".

Maxconvert is suggesting the former. I am not suggesting the latter.

Fair enough. Thanks.

Aside from the fact that this happened about 90 minutes ago, what magically makes this a "program changing loss?"

Knapp, the key word is "could". I think you'd be hard pressed to believe that Pelini needs better talent to make his scheme look competent against top competition. Embarrassing losses "can" affect recruiting. "Can" affect program support and perception. "Can" affect the bowl game performance. We won't know til the future, but I don't think its a leap to assume that a rousing win would've done much more for the entirety of the program than an embarrassing loss.

Agreed on all, but I think the point I'm making is, in the immediate angst-filled aftermath of this loss, this isn't the best time to be deciding if this is program-changing or not.

I'll buy that.

Two things...

1. Tom Osborne is the greatest coach in the history of college football. How is it that we still use him as our base comparison?

Who should "we" use as our base comparison? How about Devaney? I'll never get on board with an attitude that implies that losses like today should be deemed acceptable because the current coach isn't Tom Osborne. If I were a 'Bama fan, I'd probably consider Bryant our best coach, but that wouldn't mean I'd not hold Saban to maintaining that standard (not necessarily W/L record). :)

You wouldn't idolize a coach that went 0-4 vs Notre Dame. chuckleshuffle

As for what to take away, you need to get back to emphasizing the lines. Especially Oline, that is one unit that the Big10 doesn't have a problem recuiting and developing their talent.

Damian Stafford couldn't tackle a tackling dummy. The missed tackles that disappeared for a few weeks reared their ugly head.

A buddy and I have been wondering about this most of the season. Do the coaches condone not wrapping up? Do the coaches try to re-train the tream how to tackle, but its not getting through? Do they not bench/discipline him because they have no faith in his back-up? Wish I could get a more specific answer from Pelini other than "lack of execution".

It's not a program changing loss..Not yet anyways. If the wheels fall off the bus in our bowl game and into early next season (UCLA), this game could be "the one that defines Pelini's tenure." Thus resulting in another coaching carousel. I haven't given up hope, but we field the exact same inconsistent, penalty, fumble ridden team practically every single week. I do agree coordinator changes need to be made. Its what good coaches do, look at Bielema firing his oline coach midseason, and look at what that same oline did to our defense. You've got to grow some balls, and fix whats wrong. It's why you get paid 3 million + a year.

After 5 years we are still going nowhere.

Pelini has no answers. He may have lots of wins, but not when it matters.

14 years without a win that actually matters. And we are not going to get one in year 15, 16 or however many more years Pelini is here.

Our recruiting sucks. Especially on the lines. How we do not have linemen is ridiculous. Failing to recruit correctly is as big an indictment as anything else.

We've gotten our asses handed to us several times in the past five years. If you're narrowing the sample size to only 'a stage such as this' then this loss stands alone. But this isn't even close to the first time we've lost like this.

Ok, let me rephrase the question.

Was this the worst loss in Husker history?

That was the spirit of the question anyways.

Without question, no. It was the 1983 Orange Bowl.

I'm thinking your definition of "worst", in this case, is different from what The Dude had in mind.

It's not a program changing loss..Not yet anyways. If the wheels fall off the bus in our bowl game and into early next season (UCLA), this game could be "the one that defines Pelini's tenure." Thus resulting in another coaching carousel. I haven't given up hope, but we field the exact same inconsistent, penalty, fumble ridden team practically every single week. I do agree coordinator changes need to be made. Its what good coaches do, look at Bielema firing his oline coach midseason, and look at what that same oline did to our defense. You've got to grow some balls, and fix whats wrong. It's why you get paid 3 million + a year.

do you think Pelini is the guy? Unless you answer "Yes, absolutely" then get back on the carousel. If you know a guy is not 'the guy' then why keep him? If you knew your spouse was wrong for you after a couple years, do you get the divorce or say "well, there hasn't been any abuse, so lets stay miserable?"

do you think Pelini is the guy? Unless you answer "Yes, absolutely" then get back on the carousel. If you know a guy is not 'the guy' then why keep him? If you knew your spouse was wrong for you after a couple years, do you get the divorce or say "well, there hasn't been any abuse, so lets stay miserable?"

Stupidest thing I've seen posted all night. You keep him because, among literally dozens of other reasons, going through the process of finding and bringing in a new coach takes time, hurts your program in the short run, and has no guarantee of certainty that it will be any better. What is with all the absolutes on this board tonight? Not knowing "yes, absolutely" that Bo is the guy does not mean that Bo is certainly not the guy.

Tom Osborne was almost run out of town after his first few years here. By your argument, we should have fired him and brought in someone new. How do you suppose that would have worked out?