I Attended A Funeral Today

Flood

Sorry to hear the tough stuff you're going through right now. I don't think we need to fire Bo, but my faith in him was shaken tonight. He does need to clean house, if he doesn't it'll end in his firing at some point because of his blind loyalty to his coaches. I realize you want to "leave a legacy" but you aren't gonna have a chance to leave a legacy if these types of losses continue.

I may get hated for this, but whatever. I've been to funerals. I've lost friends. Yeah, life sucks sometimes. Really sucks. I don't think any sane poster on this board would compare a husker loss to losing a good friend. That doesn't mean you can't be disappointed, when as a fan, you spend $1000 of dollars a year on husker games, gear, etc. and the team continues to sh#t the bed.

Further more, I don't need other fans telling me how to feel and not to feel. "Things could be worse"...well no sh#t?

The fact of the matter is that football has changed, and we are no longer a good football program. After squeaking out a bunch of wins against very mediocre opponents, I got into many arguments with husker fans with me stating "We're not that good"..."10-2 bro...that's not good?"

If that is your level of expectation for being good, lets just drop NU to D2. We should easily be good in that division...

Sorry for your loss. There are probably better places to seek condolence than a football forum after a blow out.

I understand your loss Flood but it really is bad taste to use personal stories to try to deflect the mood of the board. We all know there are more important things than football. All of us know that but at the same time people have a right to be pissed about last night and should have the right to vent it but just like they should have the right to vent a win. Just because you might not be comfortable with the mood of the board and if it affects you that much maybe chill out from the board for a few days and let it simmer down. 10 win season doesn't mean much when an unranked team destroys you in the CCG and now we have a bowl game that might end up in similar fashion doesn't bode well.

• Fire 2

Flood,

Well stated. Funny (strange) thing is... I went to a memorial service/funeral for a friend yesterday in the morning as well. Passed away on Thanksgiving day. You're exactly right about the perspective. My condolences and prayers with you and your friends. Tough time of the year to go through a death like that. My friend had passed away after he had battled cancer for a couple years.

To those of you that can't understand Flood trying to share some perspective and thoughts, he wasn't TELLING you what to think, and telling you HOW to feel. But maybe it's sometimes better to step back and see that there are more, and more important things in life than a sporting event. It was one game during one year. It happens. Part of growing up (and there are aspects of me where I still tend to be very childlike) is figuring out how to handle a loss like this maturely. I tend to avoid this board after losses, and decided on a chance to see what the board was like today. Avoided every other thread, but decided to click on Flood's, and was glad I did. It was good to see another that had seen some perspective in the loss, and was willing to share it. Thanks again, Flood, and those of you that showed that compassion for him.

Good post Flood. I'm learning "the big picture" as well. I'm trying to realize that in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter. Life goes on and sorry for the cliche' but "it's just a game." I think some of us put too much stock in Husker football as part of our overall happiness and that's a shame. There really are more important things in life.

Thanks, folks. I was not trying to tell anyone what to feel or how to think.

walksalone, perspective is a very hard thing, even for us old codgers. I also believe we need to make some changes, either in coaching or on the field. I also know damn well that more knowledgeable people than myself are keenly aware of those needs, and will be addressing them in some fashion.

The background, I guess, is that I was there for the 80's and 90's, like many others, and some of us (me, too), were WAY too wrapped up in the team and the championships. Maybe it's easy for us to say and hypocritical (we got ours after all--three championships in 5 years), but perspective really is needed. During the 90's a huge majority of Nebraska citizens were too heavily cloaked in Husker Power. I can see now, looking back, that it was not always a healthy obsession. It sure was fun, though.

I think a dose of patience is in order, and I surely hope that Bo gets this corrected. However, I am willing to give him a couple years to do so. There are no guarantees, as we saw with BC, and Bo has a record that is not too far off some of Tom's years in the 80's. I know the rankings haven't been there, like they were, even with losses in Tom's era, but that is more a reflection of the times, and the parity in the CFB world these days.

I wish you all well, and hope we play well against UGA, win or lose.