"if one player messes up, it's going for six."

PJ Smith said this.

What do you think it means?

Is what we are doing really so high risk that one breakdown is a touchdown? Is that why when Nebraska fails, it fails spectacularly?

Not trying to blame anyone or anything, just think it is worth an examination. I'm kind of troubled by it if we play on such an edge that we might as well play Russian roulette on every snap.

Well, I certainly noticed that Stafford was beaten to the outside on a good number of those sweeps.

And that kind of ties in with the original question - is that a situation where Stafford is supposed to be on an island? That's my worry.... that we have a lot of situations where responsibility falls too much to a single player.

It's pretty spot on. Say what you want about coaching and adjustment and Bo throwing the team under the bus for missing tackles ets, but watch the game and you will see that on every single large run they had, there was a guy in position to a make a tackle. A tackle that was made over the last six weeks, but for whatever reason, our UCLA and Ohio St defense got on the plane this week.

Well, I certainly noticed that Stafford was beaten to the outside on a good number of those sweeps.

And that kind of ties in with the original question - is that a situation where Stafford is supposed to be on an island? That's my worry.... that we have a lot of situations where responsibility falls too much to a single player.

I agree with what you saying about an island, but good god....you have to watch how flat the angle stafford takes to the ball carrier. It was over and over and over again. He was in double digits for how many 1 on 1 plays that he completely took himself out of.

Gomes, Hagg or O'Hanlon would have had 20+ tackles in that game. Cassidy would have had 10. He isn't close to any of them.

For as much attitude and "swag" that Stafford tries to act like he has...................he certainly got his butt whooped up and down the field all night. Took terrible angles, missed several tackles..................if this defense has no safety net if one guy messes up...............that's a problem!

Maybe this was answered in another thread - but I'll ask it here. Anyone know what happened to Santos? After breaking onto the scene during the first Wisconsin game, he was non-existent during this one. Injury? (doghouse?)

No, he was there. I distinctly remember him having coverage on Abberderis coming out of the flats on a early third down play. Got caught looking inside and his man walked for the first down.

Maybe this was answered in another thread - but I'll ask it here. Anyone know what happened to Santos? After breaking onto the scene during the first Wisconsin game, he was non-existent during this one. Injury? (doghouse?)

No, he was there. I distinctly remember him having coverage on Abberderis coming out of the flats on a early third down play. Got caught looking inside and his man walked for the first down.

yes, this did happen. This is why I caution everyone who is looking forward to getting faster LB's on the field that it won't solve everything. Santos got eaten up on that play and he is our fastest LB. The difference between he and Fisher on that play is that Santos caught him from behind after a gain of 20 and it would have been a TD with Fisher