A different perspective

being worst in the nation with turnovers.... its will be hard for any defense to compensate for that.

The turnovers are a problem. Let's not gloss over that. But we have got to stop giving the defense a pass because the offense has issues. With those turnovers we're still the top offense in the conference in three of the four major categories: Total Offense, Rushing Offense and Pass Efficiency Offense, and we're #2 in Scoring Offense, two points a game behind OSU.

The offense has problems. It is not THE problem, and you can blame those turnovers as much on the defense giving up epic yards and points and the offense having to play a riskier version of football to try to catch up more than you can blame the offense's turnovers for the defense's woes.

Even if we clean up all turnovers, this defense is Cosgrovian. There's no getting around that.

true! I am not giving the D a pass at all. I think a lot of people give the Offense a pass too often and only blame our D (like the OP did). I was mearly pointing out that even with a great D, we will still have a hard time winning big games when we give up 2-4 turnovers a game. We are simply a mess on very side of the ball; offense, defense, special teams.

being worst in the nation with turnovers.... its will be hard for any defense to compensate for that.

The turnovers are a problem. Let's not gloss over that. But we have got to stop giving the defense a pass because the offense has issues. With those turnovers we're still the top offense in the conference in three of the four major categories: Total Offense, Rushing Offense and Pass Efficiency Offense, and we're #2 in Scoring Offense, two points a game behind OSU.

The offense has problems. It is not THE problem, and you can blame those turnovers as much on the defense giving up epic yards and points and the offense having to play a riskier version of football to try to catch up more than you can blame the offense's turnovers for the defense's woes.

Even if we clean up all turnovers, this defense is Cosgrovian. There's no getting around that.

true! I am not giving the D a pass at all. I think a lot of people give the Offense a pass too often and only blame our D (like the OP did). I was mearly pointing out that even with a great D, we will still have a hard time winning big games when we give up 2-4 turnovers a game. We are simply a mess on very side of the ball; offense, defense, special teams.

People give the offense a pass because it's one of the best in the nation. We have the best WR corps we've ever, ever, ever had at Nebraska right now. We have a legendary RB, two very good RB backups (one of whom rushed for 1,000 yards this year), we have a soon-to-be legendary QB and two great Tight Ends. If our O Line was even remotely awesome we'd have a filthy, scary offense.

Yeah, they turn it over and yeah, that is a huge problem. But the offense gets a pass more than the D because the D is losing us games. Big-time. Embarrassingly.

The reason why they can give up 55 yards game one to Wisky and 500 yards the next game is simple and complex. Wisky is a completely different team than they were the first time they played. Nebraska was also.

I said this on another thread Wisky was angry, healthy, and ready to prove something. Nebraska was tired after a 6 game stretch of tough wins. Not just physically tired but also mentally tired.

Nebraska wasn't able to defend the run like it usually did because of BS injury. Meridith was game but too small. So they pinched the DE in a little to help out. It didn't help much. This then helped leave the Jet Sweep open.

Our safeties had too many responsibilites in the defensive scheme one of which was Jet sweep containment. Because they had so many things to worry about it made them late getting to the play. So they took poor angles and tackled terribly.

This was a calculated choice that didn't work. Combine that with momentum and it spells disaster.

You also can't discount the fact that Brett B is a dick and anytime he can put the screws to another team he does and will everytime. I know they have to stop the other team, but some coaches will always do that, BB is one of them.

Even though I think you make some good points I'm going to sum up what everybody is going to post to this thread. "Bo's no better than BC, we're a terrible team, we're pathetic and will get blown out by Georgia as we'll never be relevent again. You're just a sunshine pumper, Bo sucks. End of story"

Well dang...guess I don't need to post now! ;)

I'm one of those people that has been a sun shiner. I've always been a Bo supporter. I went to the game, and left stunned, just trying to figure out what was going on. It wasn't until today that I had what could be a useful insight. What if we're framing this completely wrong. We knew that our D was bad this year, that wasn't really a question. Losing Dennard, Crick, and David and having no amazing underclassman or Juco's come in to replace them was going to be ugly. Do I blame Bo for the bad talent around at the moment at the upperclassman level? Yes and no, I don't think he recruited great his first year or two, but there was also the usual attrition and people not playing out. So we could still frame it as his fault.

My question is this, what if Bo's been coaching lights out all season and Wisconsin/tOSU were just games where coaching could not overcome? This team could have been the running equivalent of Okie State (when they were really bad) and instead they went 10-3 despite having huge holes at two defensive levels. This is essentially the flipside of the 09 team. I think that if Bo ever has a team without holes (doesn't need to be amazing, but without holes) it'll be a team in the national championship conversation.

Take it for what you want, this could just be the ramblings of a sleep deprived person.

To further my point, take a look at the O-line this year. Not amazing, but didn't arguably didn't have any clear holes.

Overall, I appreciate the response and dialogue. Thanks.

The problem is preparation. There weren't many games this year we were prepared for. Especially against better teams.

So. Miss. - We were prepared, but they were an 0-12 team.

UCLA - Not prepared defensively(1st half) and didn't adjust offensively(2nd half).

Ark St - We were prepared, but a non AQ school. They did win their conference tho.

Idaho St - Prepared but we better have been against an FCS team.

Wisconsin - Not prepared to start the game. Fell behind 27-10 before rallying. 7-5 team.

OSU - Not prepared at all. Embarrassed. 12-0 team.

NW - Not prepared. Down 28-16 entering 4th qtr. 9-3 team team.

Mich - We were prepared for this one. Even when Shoelaces was in we were playing well. 10-2 team. Credit coaches for this one.

Mich St - Not prepared. Down 10 in 4th qtr. 6-6 team.

Penn st - Not prepared. Down 2 TDs at half. 8-4 team.

Minn - Prepared for this one, but a shaky 6-6 team.

Iowa - Not prepared offensively. Blame the weather all you want, but our O-Line had no push at all and offense was lost until Rex sparked them. 4-8 team.

B1G title game - Absolutely not prepared. Worst game of Bo's tenure here.

So about 5 games we were truly prepared to play. Yeah we finished 10-2, but had we been a prepared and disciplined team, who knows? The problem with this staff is it's that they are leaving a lot on the table to be had. I know coaches like to approach every game the same and treat them equally, but in reality they aren't. Preparing for OSU is not like preparing for Minnesota.

Our problem isnt talent, its leadership and developement. There are other schools with equal or less talent than us, that do more with it. They dont have the facilities we have or the fan support we have here.

Sorry, but our blowouts comes down to nothing more than poor coaching.

Name one school that has consistently less talent than Nebraska that has averaged more than 9.5 wins the last 5 years and played in 3 championship games.

I'm one of those people that has been a sun shiner. I've always been a Bo supporter. I went to the game, and left stunned, just trying to figure out what was going on. It wasn't until today that I had what could be a useful insight. What if we're framing this completely wrong. We knew that our D was bad this year, that wasn't really a question. Losing Dennard, Crick, and David and having no amazing underclassman or Juco's come in to replace them was going to be ugly. Do I blame Bo for the bad talent around at the moment at the upperclassman level? Yes and no, I don't think he recruited great his first year or two, but there was also the usual attrition and people not playing out. So we could still frame it as his fault.

My question is this, what if Bo's been coaching lights out all season and Wisconsin/tOSU were just games where coaching could not overcome? This team could have been the running equivalent of Okie State (when they were really bad) and instead they went 10-3 despite having huge holes at two defensive levels. This is essentially the flipside of the 09 team. I think that if Bo ever has a team without holes (doesn't need to be amazing, but without holes) it'll be a team in the national championship conversation.

Take it for what you want, this could just be the ramblings of a sleep deprived person.

To further my point, take a look at the O-line this year. Not amazing, but didn't arguably didn't have any clear holes.

Overall, I appreciate the response and dialogue. Thanks.

Personally, I believe both Sirles and ARod are definite clear holes. I thought the other guys played remarkably well compared to previous years.

All three losses featured video-game numbers of yards or points by our opponents. You lose three close games, nobody is too upset. You get embarrassed on national television three times in one season, people have a right to be upset.

And we're upset. Go figure.

very true and well put the loss Wisconsin feels worse than our last two CCG losses combined because of the way we lost

Our problem isnt talent, its leadership and developement. There are other schools with equal or less talent than us, that do more with it. They dont have the facilities we have or the fan support we have here.

Name one school that has consistently less talent than Nebraska that has averaged more than 9.5 wins the last 5 years and played in 3 championship games.

Wisconsin

It is what it is! The problem is recruiting and player development. The problem is consistency in recruiting and player development. Every aspect of the program needs upgrades, from the weight program to the discipline on the team. And, all of that comes under the auspices of the head coach. He is the bottom line. Hiring friends and acquaintances for your coaching staff is a really bad idea. How in the hell does a guy, Papuchis, go from being an intern at LSU in 2004 and then the head defensive coordinator in 2012? That amounts to about eight years, most of it serving as a special teams coordinator and assistant defensive line coach. Then bam, you are are the head defensive coordinator at a major university known for excellence in defense! Doesn't Pelini have enough sense to avert the Bill Callahan syndrome and hire someone who can actually coach defense. And, as for Pelini handling the defense, so far he has not shown that he can handle both the head coaching position and the defensive duties on the team. A quality head coach hires quality assistants and then manages the program through them. We have very weak assistant coaches.

Wisconsin

touche :thumbs

Although, technically they've only played in 2 championship games :)