Joe Ganz

Marrow has left to Kentucky. Not every GA can be promoted to a full-time assistant, and I take it as a sign of a good coaching staff when some get poached. I have moved on. Speculation will continue as to the future of Barney Cotton and who will replace him.

How much value does anyone place on Joe Ganz? How much does anyone credit Ganz with the development of Martinez? Is he worthy of becoming an assistant? I know I would hate to lose him.

Marrow has left to Kentucky. Not every GA can be promoted to a full-time assistant, and I take it as a sign of a good coaching staff when some get poached. I have moved on. Speculation will continue as to the future of Barney Cotton and who will replace him.

How much value does anyone place on Joe Ganz? How much does anyone credit Ganz with the development of Martinez? Is he worthy of becoming an assistant? I know I would hate to lose him.

You should know in asking us that none of us has any accurate idea. That being said, Joe has played an absolutely tremendous role in Taylor's development, by my estimation.

I like Ganz, but I'd rather see him work his way up the ranks through another program. It's not like we have an unlimited number of positions on the staff - and I see other areas of need that are more vital than a QB coach - like a recruiter. Not saying Ganz couldn't recruit, but recruiting is 75% connections & relationships (see Marrow)...and Ganz doesn't really have any.

I just think Nebraska can do better. No offense to the guy, but Nebraska should be able to bring in one hell of an assistant - a Pat Hill type for the OL and let Garrison take over TE's and concentrate more on recruiting (since he's a pretty solid recruiter)

Love Joe Ganz and what he does with Taylor about keeping his composure. Ganz will be gone next year as he has stated before. I don't see Cotton going anywhere, anytime soon, unless we have a horrible O-line next year and we fall hard in our rushing/passing offense.

I am honestly tired of Nebraska being the training grounds. Any new assistant changes, I would hope they would be experienced guys. Ganz needs to get some more weight under his belt before getting rid of anyone on the staff for him. How much credit Ganz gets for Martinez? No idea. Did Beck or the QB Camp help him with his passing more than Ganz? I know Ganz deserves credit for Taylor's composure during the game and keeping a fighting offense for all 4 quarters.

I just think Nebraska can do better. No offense to the guy, but Nebraska should be able to bring in one hell of an assistant - a Pat Hill type for the OL and let Garrison take over TE's and concentrate more on recruiting (since he's a pretty solid recruiter)

Hmmmm...Pat Hill is coaching O-Line right now in the NFL, isn't he? :devil

I do wonder if even someone like Pat Hill could help out--our problem may not be with scheme or technique, but recruiting and player development. To me, it seems like using the number of walk-ons we're seeing on the O-Line mean something in the coaching or recruiting process has failed.

Or is this year just an anomaly?

Most of Martinez's growth from last year to this year more than likely comes directly from the private coach he hired in the offseason. I'm not sure we can credit Ganz with much of that development in terms of pocket presence, motion, etc.

With apologies to Ganz and Taylor's private off-season QB coach: after all the hoopla about Taylor's improved footwork and throwing motion, I thought he looked very much like the Taylor Martinez from the season before, but throwing to a much better corps of receivers. Even his decision making seems about the same - a gambler's instinct that is thrilling when it works and maddening when it doesn't. He had a remarkable amount of composure as a freshman, but it got shaken when he started playing injured, knowing he didn't have a burst of speed when things fell apart, which they started doing more often. All of which is to say I think Taylor comes in with his own unique skill set, liabilities and will power. I'm not sure I'd give the coaches much credit beyond having faith in him.

With apologies to Ganz and Taylor's private off-season QB coach: after all the hoopla about Taylor's improved footwork and throwing motion, I thought he looked very much like the Taylor Martinez from the season before, but throwing to a much better corps of receivers. Even his decision making seems about the same - a gambler's instinct that is thrilling when it works and maddening when it doesn't. He had a remarkable amount of composure as a freshman, but it got shaken when he started playing injured, knowing he didn't have a burst of speed when things fell apart, which they started doing more often. All of which is to say I think Taylor comes in with his own unique skill set, liabilities and will power. I'm not sure I'd give the coaches much credit beyond having faith in him.

I'm with you here. After the Southern Miss game I would have disagreed with you 100% in regards to the improvements. But, as the season progressed (and southern miss was exposed as a fraud) - it began to look more and more like 2011, with a little more speed. Taylor is one that when you take off your rose colored glasses and look closely - considering there's been 3 full seasons of starts pass by, he hasn't shown the kind of improvement I expected out of him. After that Washington game in 2010 - I never would have thought he'd still be playing at the level he is currently. He was raw with what seemed like almost unlimitted potential, and honestly he's not much farther along.

Interesting. All last year I was extremely frustrated at our receiving corp dropping so many passes. I was told constantly that they were dropping balls because Taylor threw such a crappy spiral and it was all over the place.

Now, I'm reading that Taylor is looking good because his receivers are catching the ball.

I assume reality is somewhere in the middle. He is throwing a better ball and his receivers are better at catching them.

All that said, I think Taylor has grown every year in the command of the offense. He knows this offense and knows what plays we need to be in at what point. He has also grown at game management.

• Fire 1

Crappy throwing motions never bothered us because we had Ahman, Lawerence, Keith, Derrick, mike, and FBs running for 1700 yds. every damn year.

His mechanics haven't improved much, but his overall ability to lead this team and play winning ball is indisputable.

A portion of that credit has to go to Ganz, who conferring w Taylor after every series the whole year. Probly watched film with him and put together game plans that used Taylor well also.

What? I don't know how anyone can say Taylor's mechanics are the same as his sophomore year.

They are still better. His injuries had a lot to do with the decline in his mechanics. His motion and mechanics were fine before the initial injury against Missiouri 2010. Watch videos. We all know now that he was injured, if not more that one spot, most to all of last season (2011). Now, he was supposedle 100% to start the year, but we also know he dinged up another ankle against Michigan.

My point was that his mechanics this year seemed to regress as the year moved on, though they were never as bad as they were in 2011.

• Fire 1

Crappy throwing motions never bothered us because we had Ahman, Lawerence, Keith, Derrick, mike, and FBs running for 1700 yds. every damn year.

His mechanics haven't improved much, but his overall ability to lead this team and play winning ball is indisputable.

A portion of that credit has to go to Ganz, who conferring w Taylor after every series the whole year. Probly watched film with him and put together game plans that used Taylor well also.

I... disagree.