Leveling the playing field with the SEC

HuskerShark

I had a thought today while listening to Colin Cowherd try to argue this morning that weather doesn't play a big factor in the dominance of the SEC and the less than flattering performance of the B1G. Once the B1G adds more teams, we will be at a 9-game conference schedule I am assuming. Why not do what the SEC does and schedule a couple of conference games early on in the season and mix the non-con games in with the rest of the season?

This would allow one of two things to happen:

1) B1G teams can schedule powder-puff teams to beat up on late in the year so they can heal up during the physically demanding conference schedule.

Or what I would like to see happen:

2) B1G teams can try to schedule home-and-home series against SEC schools in November.

Let's finally put it to the test and level the playing field; have Alabama head to Columbus, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, or Camp Randall in mid-to-late November and see if that's a favorable matchup for them.

Thoughts?

There is no incentive to come up here in September let alone November.

Bama had the home and home with PSU. That's about it.

Vandy has come up to play ann arbor and Northwestern. backed out of the OSU game next year but they are usually the only one that come up. LSU came to Columbus back in 1988. Lost and never came back.

It's a good ole boy league for the most part. Not like the Noles or the Canes who had(they might still) a anywhere, anytime mentality.

Vandy has come up to play ann arbor and Northwestern. backed out of the OSU game next year but they are usually the only one that come up. LSU came to Columbus back in 1988. Lost and never came back.

It's a good ole boy league for the most part. Not like the Noles or the Canes who had(they might still) a anywhere, anytime mentality.

Canes are coming to Lincoln 2014 or 15, I can't remember which. Tennessee is coming to Lincoln in either 16 or 17, again can't remember which.

Playing an SEC team in B1G territory in September does nothing. I know it would be tough or impossible to get SEC teams to agree to playing in the cold B1G stadiums in November, but I think if it happened, people might FINALLY realize the disadvantages that weather creates.

Have you guys ever played football in late October/November? It really isn't that big of a deal. The average temperature in Columbus during the month of November is 54 for the high and 32 for the low. For Lincoln the range is 51/28. That really isn't crippling football weather by any means. The fact of the matter is, the top SEC schools have better coaching and are deeper than most B1G teams. Depth and coaching will separate the good teams from the great teams.

• Fire 3

Canes are coming to Lincoln 2014 or 15, I can't remember which. Tennessee is coming to Lincoln in either 16 or 17, again can't remember which.

Yeah Canes will travel anywhere anytime. They pretty much always have.

Tennessee is definitely one of the better SEC teams for traveling. Try to get the Gators out of Florida for a non conference game. Not happening.

I like the idea of getting some non-con games mixed around in the schedule, would be a nice break. Also somehow get another bowl in B1G country. Really difficult for all those SEC teams to take the long trip to Florida for bowl games....

I do to. I think the SEC gets that right. They also slot a lot of conference games which would be kinda cool. 1st weekend in October you always play _______ . I think I might enjoy that.

Wanna level the playing field? Start with recruiting and over-signing first.

And paying players haha, I'm still amazed how you don't see the NCAA all over the SEC.

Me too. I don't get it. It's not like the SEC keeps their cheating a secret either, and yet the NCAA would rather go after Ohio State, Penn State, USC, and Oregon for much less minor violations than what a lot of SEC schools are doing.

As long as ESPN continues to back the SEC first the playing field will always be unlevel. It is what it is. The hype created for the SEC BEFORE they were winning title after title was disgusting. ESPN did what they could do with all their throw. Of course I think more and more people are starting to cool down from the ESPN rules era...