Great article...sadly!

bdubb75

I don't see anything wrong with the article, or talking about it here. If a HB member wants to discuss the article, and others want to join in, then there should be no problem with doing that, even if some disagree. (unless the companies themselves have issues with it, OWH/LJS)....

Do you think it should be only one way? As in, should the LJS/OWH be able to say we cannot quote/link to/discuss their content, but we can't put a stop to quoting/linking to/discussing their content, or should HuskerBoard have the right to keep those conversations off our boards?

That is between those companies, and Huskerboard. Until something is settled I don't see a problem with the discussion. Having said that, I do understand your logic....

I smell a big can of worms being opened

Yep, IMO knapp doesn't have any logical reason to ban any article unless it's from a site that doesn't allow or want thier articles posted in forums..aka like it sounds the OWH does it's buisness. He's missing the point of being a moderator and that is just to keep the discussions civil, not to hinder free speech. The "bouncer" example that he used is a perfect example of someone who has let the mod "power" go to his head.

So unless you are the owner of the site knapp, you are in the wrong here and I think that you are better than that.

I'm not better than that. The power has totally gone to my head.

Yep, IMO knapp doesn't have any logical reason to ban any article unless it's from a site that doesn't allow or want thier articles posted in forums..aka like it sounds the OWH does it's buisness. He's missing the point of being a moderator and that is just to keep the discussions civil, not to hinder free speech. The "bouncer" example that he used is a perfect example of someone who has let the mod "power" go to his head.

So unless you are the owner of the site knapp, you are in the wrong here and I think that you are better than that.

Can of worms ----->Now opened....

I'm not better than that. The power has totally gone to my head.

Been saying for some time now that Nebraska needs to step outside the box and be different. We can't try to be someone else, just too many disadvantages where we are. It will take something truly unique to push Nebraska beyond 11-12 wins. I'm confident that if/when the day comes that we make a legit run at the NC...we'll be able to look at the program and see why. We know it won't be recruiting, we know it won't be facilities, it likely won't be money (pickens/knight style anyway)...we know it's not any of the other advantages that other top programs have. It will happen when we limit the disadvantages, and take a huge risk on something big. Who knows what that will be, but we need to find it to have an edge.

Alright, but whats the starting salary?

The pay is s#!t. In fact there is none, and we owe the overlords taxes. Sucks, man...

I think this was a pretty well-written article, but Dirk has done himself no favors at all over the years. Covering Nebraska football is his job, and while it's not clear whether or not he's a fan of the program, he is certainly not a fan of Bo. I can't really fault anyone for viewing Dirk with suspicion, as his personal vendetta is clear as day. It doesn't mean that he doesn't hit on good points now and then.

I can get behind of some of what Dirk is saying here. Overall though, I just don't feel too bad about giving Georgia all they could handle. I feel it was a respectable effort and unfortunately, it got away from us in the end, as many expected. Teams traded back and forth blows. It was a barnburner. Stuff like what Dirk is saying would have more merit if we had suffered another iniquitous blowout, but we hung with them Dawgs.

But oh, this loss will have consequences. The relative goodwill of not being blown out will fade over the years. Getting that magic "11" number would have been so huge for Bo, but now he can't have that to hang his hat on, and any slip-ups aren't going to go over well. Missed opportunity to really buy himself some extra rope, but I came away from that bowl game thinking I'd like to see more of Bo Pelini on our sidelines.

The program has hit a rut, a plateau, but on the downward side of the talent wave, what does anybody expect but some not-so-nice stats to swallow? The question is now going to be, is that up wave coming, or not? It will need to come soon.

• Fire 1

I was going to start a new thread, but I'll just post it here. I keep seeing the stat 53.5 points and 595 yards in the 4 losses. This is a sad stat and obviously the reason the Huskers lost those four games. UCLA, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Georgia are all games the defense would like to take mulligans.

If writers and fans want to label a team as "overated" or in need of "philisophical change" based on four games, they need to also look at the other 10 games. In the 10 wins, NU gave up 17.2 points (under 17 if special team TD's and garbage points against ISU and Minn are taken out) and gave up 266.9 yards a game.

This team as problem areas, it has room for improvement. But it is not anything close to a "lost cause".

nice

It's convenient how he glosses over the struggles of the other programs he lists. "Unlike NU, they've found a way to get to 11, 12, 13 wins." Let's look at that a little closer:

Oregon - I'll give him the Ducks although I'd quibble with their inclusion as a "Northern team". They are obviously in quite a different situation than the rest of the list. They have been great recently but also failed to reach 11 wins from 2002-2009. 55 wins in the last 5 years.

Kansas St. - Bill Snyder deserves a ton of credit. 11 wins this season ... for the first time in nine years. Doesn't sound a lot different than NU to me. And they haven't won a bowl game since 2002. 71-51 in the last 10 years. 39 wins in five years.

Notre Dame - Yes, they got to 12 wins this year, the first time they've had more than 10 in 20 years. They've also won exactly two bowl games in the last 19 years - the Hawaii bowl and the Sun bowl. 74-50 in the last 10 years. 41 wins in the last five years. Is that the kind of success he'd like Nebraska to aspire to?

Stanford - Like Oregon, I'm not sure they really belong with the rest of the list but oh well. Great three year run. They also had a losing record every year from 2002-2008. 62-49 in the last 10 years. 47 wins over five years.

Wisconsin - They definitely have Nebraska beat recently. But even with all their success they've only had three 11+ win seasons in the last 14 years and only four in their history. Not a particularly easy mark to achieve. 47 wins in five years.

Virginia Tech - I'll also give him VaTech. They've been extremely consistent the last decade or so. Good thing they stuck with Beemer through some 2-, 3-, 5- and 6- win seasons to let him build the program over the last 25 years. 49 wins over the last five.

Ohio St. - Probably the class of the "Northern teams" for the last 15 years. 51 wins over the last five years.

By the way, Nebraska is 85-45 over the last 10 years, despite that time period including the worst stretch in the last 60 years. I'm aware that not all wins are equal and Bo hasn't gotten us over many "big game" hurdles but he's also gotten us to three conference championship games in four years. 48 wins in Bo's tenure puts us well ahead of K St. and Notre Dame, similar to Stanford, Wisconsin and Virginia Tech and only really behind Ohio St. and Oregon. To me, I don't think we're that far off.

• Fire 3