2013 Offensive Line

We lose Choi and Jackson but return a lot of bodies for the O-line next year. It will be interesting to see if any of the young guys (Moudy, Thurston, Whitaker, Reeves, Sterup) can step up and crack the starting line-up. Personally, I hate A-Rod at tackle. It reminds of me Carl Nicks while at Nebraska. Nicks was better than A-Rod at tackle but still would have been a heck of a guard. A-Rod should be at guard or on the bench. I imagine that Cotton will be the starting LG next year. I like his mean streak and hopefully he will be healthy going into next year.

LT- Qvale/Sirles Can Sterup step up and crack the starting Line-up?

LG-Cotton

C -Pensick/ Pelini- Does Reeves get some playing time next year?

RG- Long

RT- Qvale/Sirles

I would like to have Sterup be able to back up Qvale and Sirles. This would allow A-Rod to back up and possibly rotate with Cotton and fill in if Long were to get injured.

Where as Moudy played on the scout team? We really need to develop a center after Pensick graduates.

Did I miss anyone?

I'm not worried about our offense, little lone our offensive line at all for next year. I think we have the bodies now to put a good line on the field. As for Rodriguez, the guy does need to lose some pounds and be moved inside.

I agree. The direction of the offense is fantastic. I don't think the offensive line is struggling nearly as much as people think. I don't want to start a firestorm with any Taylor Martinez comments because the kid has worked his butt off, but if next year he can purely focus on his footwork,relaxing, and standing in the pocket a bit more it will really help this offensive line look a bit better in people's eyes. It can't be easy to block for a guy that gets happy feet and takes off out of the pocket very time his primary reciever isn't immediately available.

I'm not worried about our offense, little lone our offensive line at all for next year. I think we have the bodies now to put a good line on the field. As for Rodriguez, the guy does need to lose some pounds and be moved inside.

I agree. The direction of the offense is fantastic. I don't think the offensive line is struggling nearly as much as people think. I don't want to start a firestorm with any Taylor Martinez comments because the kid has worked his butt off, but if next year he can purely focus on his footwork,relaxing, and standing in the pocket a bit more it will really help this offensive line look a bit better in people's eyes. It can't be easy to block for a guy that gets happy feet and takes off out of the pocket very time his primary reciever isn't immediately available.

Just want to clarify that is not the purpose of this thread.

I don't care who starts next year or who is on the 2 Deep. Just figure out a way to cut back on holding and false start penalties. Especially in critical moments of games. If our 2 OL coaches can figure that out, we will be in good shape. Again, we are lacking in the execution of little things that add up to big things when not corrected.

With all due respect to ARod, unless we see major improvement from him, the less we see of him the better off we'll be. He's been more a liability than an asset thus far. If he's willing to work his butt off to get better, I'm willing to give him a second chance. If he isn't, hope he keeps the bench warm.

• Fire 4

I don't care who starts next year or who is on the 2 Deep. Just figure out a way to cut back on holding and false start penalties. Especially in critical moments of games. If our 2 OL coaches can figure that out, we will be in good shape. Again, we are lacking in the execution of little things that add up to big things when not corrected.

We cut way, way back on holding and false start penalties this year.

I don't want to get into an argument with you but I would like to know if you have anything to show proof of this. It seemed to me that we still had quite a bit of these penalties. We may have cut way way back but I am not sure it was enough yet.

• Fire 1

I don't want to get into an argument with you but I would like to know if you have anything to show proof of this. It seemed to me that we still had quite a bit of these penalties. We may have cut way way back but I am not sure it was enough yet.

No we didnt. Maybe I'm wrong statistically, but it seemed to me like there was far less. The Oline is the scapegoat for any sort of offensive troubles. Scapegoat may be the wrong word, because it all starts and ends up front. But the penalties were not as much of an issue this year as they have been in past from an Oline standpoint.

I agree we need to hit on some recruits. I really thought we would get Hinnnant but I guess not. I do like the recruits we have committed.

I think we have players in the system that could make a very good line. Which ever player wins Center, the other one should be a decent back up at guard. The #1 center will play 99% of the snaps. I agree with everyone. A-Rod needs to move inside. He absolutely looked totally lost at tackle.

I am one who believes our line player fairly well this year especially in run blocking. We wouldn't have had the production we had on offense with out a decent line.

Interesting that you ask for proof then talk about how things seemed to you.

Yes, I did go back and catalog all the penalties against NU this year. We averaged just under one false start and just under one holding/illegal block per game.