High Character Guys

A lot of Nebraska fans lately seemed to have become obsessed with high character guys coming into our football program. How important is that really, would people be willing to sacrifice 11 Academic All-Americans for 11 All-Americans, which is more important? Back in the 90's Nebraska wasn't full of the most high charcter individuals (people that know this program know the guys), yet those were our best teams and people weren't calling for as many high character guys back then, they were calling for athletes. Now to be fair the 90's had some great kids on those teams too, one of them has an award named after him at Nebraska for basically being a great human being.

My question is essentially is taking high character guys important or having a guys like that on our team, or would you rather go after more athletes that are "projects" so to speak, but would be some top athletes in the country? What say you?

Like what Notre Dame radio announcer Allen Pickett said, that you need to have some "criminals" on your team to be successful.

That comment really had some people upset. In reality though a team does need many different personalities etc. Try to find a MNC team without a few people you wouldn't want to be alone in an alley with.

Like what Notre Dame radio announcer Allen Pickett said, that you need to have some "criminals" on your team to be successful.

That comment really had some people upset. In reality though a team does need many different personalities etc. Try to find a MNC team without a few people you wouldn't want to be alone in an alley with.

Our team has too have as wide a range of personalities as any other team out there.... Given that we recruit nationally. What the announcer said is offensive, but probably true....

Our team has too have as wide a range of personalities as any other team out there.... Given that we recruit nationally. What the announcer said is offensive, but probably true....

Yeah, but when the meanest players on our team have their DAD watching their every move from the box... Come on :lol:

I think we need a few more Incognitos or Jason Peters on this team to give it some attitude. At the very least, get a few players that are like Bo on the field... Wear their emotions on their sleeve, get fired up, hold other people ACCOUNTABLE when they screw up (god we need a few of these!), and don't take no sh*t from no one.

It was good to see Taylor mix it up and not back down from that asshat safety from UGA. We need more of THAT on this team.

• Fire 1

Yeah, but when the meanest players on our team have their DAD watching their every move from the box... Come on :lol:

I think we need a few more Incognitos or Jason Peters on this team to give it some attitude. At the very least, get a few players that are like Bo on the field... Wear their emotions on their sleeve, get fired up, hold other people ACCOUNTABLE when they screw up (god we need a few of these!), and don't take no sh*t from no one.

It was good to see Taylor mix it up and not back down from that asshat safety from UGA. We need more of THAT on this team.

Agreed....

I want five Richie Incognitos on my OL. Having said that, if you give me a team full of Guys like Rex, Bell, Westerkamp, and so fourth I'd gladly take that.

Just curious how Westerkamp fits in there? Haven't seen him play yet, so I assume it is a character reason. :confucius:dunno

He urinates excellence and has a mustache.

Do you think Jake Cotton is going to be that type of player? For me, I would take a team of Rex Burkhead type players. Quality off and on the field.

I mean, ideally, everyone would take guys that are excellent on and off the field, but much, and possibly most of the time, compromise is required.

Something to consider is level of "character". I wouldn't mind having some high-performing players that managed 2.5 GPAs, got cheerleaders to write their papers and never called them again, and talked trash to people they saw when they went out. I don't think I want high-performing players that are getting arrested, selling drugs, constantly getting in fights, multiple kids with multiple women..etc. Again, I think a level of compromise is required.

The thing about our 1990's teams is that Tom didn't bring those kids in solely to win - he brought them in with the hope and desire that his program could save them from some really awful lives ahead of them and turn them into respectable adults and human beings. If we are in the business of doing this, then I'm all for it, even if some of the guys on our team aren't all Rex Burkhead incarnate.

For me it will always come down to what is our football program's deepest and most devoted priority. If it is winning football games, I'm out. That's important, but it's not ultimate, and never should be. If it is educating, building and growing young men into adults, which it always has been except for maybe a few years, then I will continue to be a diehard Nebraska fan.

Come on!!!!!

you really believe Tom was giving out scollies to kids he needed to save from the streets. Bull Crap!!

He took what he could get that had National talent, and weighed the good with the bad. Hopefully coming out ahead. Which he did. It was not a charitable movement.