All time top NU QBs

So, did our offense not show up against Wisconsin in October? Or Northwestern, Michigan State or Penn State? We trailed in all of those games, thanks to the defense, but the offense seemed to show up. I think we won those games, right?

Maybe, if the defense hadn't collapsed from the first series of the game, and kept collapsing all game long, those 31 points would have been enough. They were enough in October. They would have been enough in any other conference championship game. The only reason they weren't enough this game is, our defense did... nothing.

Exactly.

Berringer would win a starting job over one or maybe two of those guys, and he may or may not belong on the list but I have respect for what Zac Taylor was able to do he was a tough kid with no quit in him. Also if Gantz had been given the starts he should have gotten his legacy would have been large.

Theres more to judging a QB than"running, passing, or both" When TF took the field it was like somebody hit the start button on an engine or lightning in a bottle and the rest was history. Its called leadership on the field. Its not measured in personal total yards. Its measured in consistency, and whether you make the people around you better.

• Fire 1

Theres more to judging a QB than"running, passing, or both" When TF took the field it was like somebody hit the start button on an engine or lightning in a bottle and the rest was history. Its called leadership on the field. Its not measured in personal total yards. Its measured in consistency, and whether you make the people around you better.

Very true. Frasier was a leader and general on the field. Biggest Heisman oversight was giving the Heisman to george and not Frasier. Alot of voters probably wished for a redo after the NCG.

Frazier's will to win was incredible and it was never overlooked. Tommy is still revered in the college football universe and the fact that he almost got a Heisman without the benefit of traditionally gaudy stats should be appreciated more than the fact that he didn't win. He is the best remembered Nebraska quarterback in college football. He has to be our greatest quarterback.

Now imagine Tommy Frazier playing on the same team with the 2012 Nebraska defense.

Think that turns out any differently?

Think we don't start moaning about Frazier's 48% completion percentage as he's forced to pass us back from a three touchdown deficit?

Do we agitate for Berringer to start? Or Turman?

Winning cures everything.

In other news, Frazier wasn't a great passer, but Crouch and Frost were probably worse. They just weren't very good passers. At all. Sorry.

Turner Gill was the sweetest combination of passing and running, but he probably wasn't as good at either as Martinez. Great, great leader and field general, though.

I'll join the Zac Taylor lovefest. And I would have loved to see one more season out of Joe Ganz. The season with the 2009 defense.

And setting sentiment aside, there's no reason for Brook Berringer on this list.

The leadership thing is hard to judge unless you're on the team i think. Did Tommie really need to lead those 90s teams who were loaded with talent and had other strong leaders on both sides of the ball? Or was it just the fact they knew he was the best player on the team and knew he could break a huge play at any time?

Also I put Frazier and Crouch atop my "both" list because i thought they were good enough passers and great runners so it evened out in my mind. Up til the Callahan era, receivers were recruited as blockers first , o-linemen were primarily huge run blockers, and we rarely passed until 3rd down when everyone knew it was coming. Those factors made high pass efficiency much harder i think.

Frazier's will to win was incredible and it was never overlooked. Tommy is still revered in the college football universe and the fact that he almost got a Heisman without the benefit of traditionally gaudy stats should be appreciated more than the fact that he didn't win. He is the best remembered Nebraska quarterback in college football. He has to be our greatest quarterback.

Now imagine Tommy Frazier playing on the same team with the 2012 Nebraska defense.

Think that turns out any differently?

Think we don't start moaning about Frazier's 48% completion percentage as he's forced to pass us back from a three touchdown deficit?

Do we agitate for Berringer to start? Or Turman?

Winning cures everything.

In other news, Frazier wasn't a great passer, but Crouch and Frost were probably worse. They just weren't very good passers. At all. Sorry.

Turner Gill was the sweetest combination of passing and running, but he probably wasn't as good at either as Martinez. Great, great leader and field general, though.

I'll join the Zac Taylor lovefest. And I would have loved to see one more season out of Joe Ganz. The season with the 2009 defense.

And setting sentiment aside, there's no reason for Brook Berringer on this list.

I'm guessing Frazier wouldn't put up with the defensive effort we saw this year. In today's game Frazier has a much better completion percentage. From coaching to the rules the passing game has made monstrous jumps since then. Frazier was a true leader that we haven't seen since.

I didn't see a Turner Gill mention until the second page, yikes.

From my observation, that man was the best pure option qb in football history. He understood the intricacies of that offense inside and out, and had the timing down flawlessly. And For what it's worth, he is at least partially responsible for the success of Frazier and Crouch as their QB's coach.

I would love to see what Martinez numbers might be if the Defense was a bit better, and if we were still lineman U. (I still have a Dave Remington autograph from when he came to my elementary school). He would have more wins and he may even have fewer turnovers as he would be trying to force things. Of course that said you can see it when he starts to lose his composure, it seems to start with some type of erratic pass or pitch when trying to force a play and next thing you know the interception or fumble follows. I did not look back at the numbers so please correct me (as I deserve) but did his fumble issue improve a bit as the season went on.

I would love to see what Martinez numbers might be if the Defense was a bit better, and if we were still lineman U. (I still have a Dave Remington autograph from when he came to my elementary school). He would have more wins and he may even have fewer turnovers as he would be trying to force things. Of course that said you can see it when he starts to lose his composure, it seems to start with some type of erratic pass or pitch when trying to force a play and next thing you know the interception or fumble follows. I did not look back at the numbers so please correct me (as I deserve) but did his fumble issue improve a bit as the season went on.

Good connection. The O line is the foundation of success for all of the 'skilled' positions. With a poor line we cannot run well, a QB won't be able to have time to pass efficiently - this also affects receivers - it takes time to get through their routes. Such a huge need to get the pipeline going again. Succesful programs dominate in the trenches period.

From my observation, that man was the best pure option qb in football history. He understood the intricacies of that offense inside and out, and had the timing down flawlessly. And For what it's worth, he is at least partially responsible for the success of Frazier and Crouch as their QB's coach.

i think Gill is most fan's # 2 and perhaps our 'favorite son' - having given so many of his years to NU as a player and coach. He was a better passer than Frasier. He had the opportunity to win 3 NC - whisper close pass deflection, a crooked out of bounds line at PSU, and the opportunity was there against Clemson his soph year. That was a 'golden' time. Perhaps the 82 team was the best team not to have won the NC - it had better D than the 83 team.

Completely off subject here, but was Zac Taylor the one on Sherman's staff who recruited Johnny Football?

Thought about this a while back. Manziel is listed on rivals as being recruited by a different TAMU coach, but I would have to think that Zac, as team QB's coach, still recruited him a little bit. Sherman's and ZT's last year on the staff was Johnny's first year in college and Johnny redshirted that year. Even though he was on scout team, ZT probably interacted and coached him up a tiny bit. Two completely different QB's, but it's still cool to think about nonetheless.

Semi-related note: I think Martinez should try the same QB guru that Manziel went to, George Whitfield. No knock on Steve Calhoun, but Johnny in his spring ball before he was a starter was as interception-prone and as bad of a passer as freshman & sophomore Martinez. Manziel went to Whitfield in the summer after that, and I watched Johnny from his first game and all of his subsequent nationally televised games and his improvement throughout the season was unbelievably fast. He was making throws against Alabama he wasn't making against Florida in their season opener. I have no qualms with Martinez as a passer this year, but his improvement seemed lesser than Johnny's, who is now a better passer than Taylor. If TM gave Whitfield a try he might be able to experience the same returns, but it's not absolutely necessary. Taylor can hang his hat on a job well-done this season.

sorry for the man-crush on Manziel. He is already my favorite non-Husker player in college football history.

i think Gill is most fan's # 2 and perhaps our 'favorite son' - having given so many of his years to NU as a player and coach. He was a better passer than Frasier. He had the opportunity to win 3 NC - whisper close pass deflection, a crooked out of bounds line at PSU, and the opportunity was there against Clemson his soph year. That was a 'golden' time. Perhaps the 82 team was the best team not to have won the NC - it had better D than the 83 team.

+1, Would of been considered the best if they would of won a couple of NC's with him. Just a couple of bad breaks, talents, and crooked sidelines.