Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

i do not buy that theory. first, i do not think he lived with his parents at this time. second, he is a college football player. perfectly natural for a college football player to want to be single even if to hid a secret homosexual relationship. he could tell people he is just into getting mad poon, even though he is never actually with any women.

Uhhh....what? Single, fair enough, it gives them leeway to sleep around a lot (and no, you can't just lie about it, people want specifics and you can't keep that up for 4 years). But if you've got a girlfriend somewhere else, you don't have to worry about that expectation anymore.

'people want details'? so? so a dude who can create an elaborate lie about a cancer-ridden gf is incapable about lying about fake hook-ups?

'people want details'? so? so a dude who can create an elaborate lie about a cancer-ridden gf is incapable about lying about fake hook-ups?

Here's the difference: when you're lying about a fake girlfriend halfway across the country, you control all the information. Girl X is however you say she is. When you've got another friend faking her facebook profile then it becomes easy.

Any hookups necessarily have to happen on/around campus. And people ask questions like, "who?"

Here's the difference: when you're lying about a fake girlfriend halfway across the country, you control all the information. Girl X is however you say she is. When you've got another friend faking her facebook profile then it becomes easy.

Any hookups necessarily have to happen on/around campus. And people ask questions like, "who?"

i get the difference. i just think a gay dude would not have to go to such extremes to protect his secret.

i get the difference. i just think a gay dude would not have to go to such extremes to protect his secret.

This is true - he wouldn't. This hoax isn't indicative of him being gay. It's a far-fetched theory, even if it is the first one that came to mind.

Assuming this is somewhat correct, I would say it's pretty obvious that the initial intent wasn't to go to such extremes. However, one thing leads to another and pretty soon you're telling a bigger lie to cover the previous one then one larger than that to cover it.

There are several possible realistic scenarios under which we arrived at this point, but none of them involve Manti being the victim. Almost every detail does not add up whatsoever.

The gig is up, Manti. Enjoy fading away into obscurity, becoming the butt of jokes and the answer to trivia questions.

Assuming this is somewhat correct, I would say it's pretty obvious that the initial intent wasn't to go to such extremes. However, one thing leads to another and pretty soon you're telling a bigger lie to cover the previous one then one larger than that to cover it.

Yep, you always have to lie 15 more times to cover up 1.

This is true - he wouldn't. This hoax isn't indicative of him being gay. It's a far-fetched theory, even if it is the first one that came to mind.

It is far-fetched. So is every possible angle. From what I've seen, there are three dominant theories:

1. He was conned.

Flaw: For three years? When he's on record claiming they'd met in person? And even if he'd lied about that out of embarrassment, you have heard of skype, yes?

2. Publicity.

Flaw: You fake date someone for three years so you can have her die at the right moment to garner you sympathy Heisman votes?

3. He's gay.

Flaw: Setting up a massive web of lies and then killing her (thus garnering more attention) rather than simply breaking up is illogical.

To me, #3 seems least far fetched, but this could certainly get very messy. That statement he put out today is going to get shredded.

i think that makes sense with him being embarrassed about having an online relationship and making it seem like he met her in person when he did not, but then it just gets ridiculous with the cancer and death and him still never actually meeting her in person, yet continuing to claim that he has.

It is far-fetched. So is every possible angle. From what I've seen, there are three dominant theories:

1. He was conned.

Flaw: For three years? When he's on record claiming they'd met in person? And even if he'd lied about that out of embarrassment, you have heard of skype, yes?

2. Publicity.

Flaw: You fake date someone for three years so you can have her die at the right moment to garner you sympathy Heisman votes?

3. He's gay.

Flaw: Setting up a massive web of lies and then killing her (thus garnering more attention) rather than simply breaking up is illogical.

To me, #3 seems least far fetched, but this could certainly get very messy. That statement he put out today is going to get shredded.

Agree on all, pretty much, but these are just three of probably three dozen reasons he could have done this. The most likely is to have elicited publicity for his Heisman campaign, and another is simply a prank that got out of hand. It's just that, to go this far, he's got to realize there are some pretty big consequences. Either he's pathological and doesn't care, or he's so full of ego he thinks there won't be consequences, or the consequences of this being found out to be fake are less than the consequences for whatever made him do this in the first place are greater.