Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

Comment on Deadspin explains the best route for Manti:

My PR advice to explain away everything: "I embellished the extent of our actual physical meetings to my friends and family to spare myself their scorn due to the stigma surrounding online relationships. They would have laughed at me if they knew I felt such intense feelings for someone whom I had never actually seen in person. When my family repeated these stories to the press, it seemed easier to go along with it than to admit I had made up some of the details of our relationship."

And it may even be the truth.

He played along and made this up for publicity.

Their was a homosexual relationship and he used this as his out around a homophobic school and Mormon culture.

He had an internet relationship and embellished in-person meetings with her embarrassed about having an solely on-line relationship.

Pick one I guess.

• Fire 1

Wow....this story actually has legs....crazyness. Watching Notre Lame fall flat on it's face...NOW THIS.....is good for college football! :snacks: :snacks:

This story is just nuts...what a shocker....

Could you imagine if this guy actually won the heisman. His whole candidacy was based on an off the field sob story that never was. My only fear is this will get pushed under the rug, a lot like the Newton situation, with no consequences. For now, I will sit back and enjoy

What consequences could there be? By any account ND had no idea what was going on. And I don't think any laws were broken, just people's trust. The only real consequence that will come from it is a nasty slide in draft stock for Te'o

Not necessarily legal consequences. But taking serious heat from the media sources who fed fire to his story (I'm looking at you ESPN). Theres also rumors floating around about how a charity was started for Teo's "girlfriend". Not sure if this was before or after her "death". Where did all the money go for these charities? Again, just speculating, but aren't we all.

He played along and made this up for publicity.

Their was a homosexual relationship and he used this as his out around a homophobic school and Mormon culture.

He had an internet relationship and embellished in-person meetings with her embarrassed about having an solely on-line relationship.

Pick one I guess.

i do not think this is plausible. a gay person could just be a single stud football player and keep any homosexual relationships secret. i do not understand how an elaborate, fake online relationship would be necessary. i guess someone might feel pressure to be in a relationship and thought this would be an easy way to portray a fake relationship, but it just seems unnecessary.

On ESPN whoever the ND official is that spoke is full of sh#t. Manti was the victim to a cruel and yada yada yada joke. This is complete and utter garbage. Everyone has seen the quotes of him talking about seeing her and her traveling to Hawaii, cmon ESPN why do you hide this?? Do you think people are stupid enough to believe some made up, feel good story that Manti made up about him being the victim. Or that you can put some reporters on the TV saying how it wasn't Manti and he's still an incredible athlete. I wonder how much Notre Dame paid you to say that. You know i wonder how these clowns can defend him on national TV when they too know that it is a complete lie.