Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

Well, you have someone claiming she is actually a real person, despite what people are currently saying. Is he lying?

And again, is it oustside the realm of possibility she was not real, Te'o was catfished, but was making up a few details to because he didn't want to admit it was just a short (time span) long distance relationship? It certainly isn't, so I'd say it's a bit early to draw conclusions.

Well, you have someone claiming she is actually a real person, despite what people are currently saying. Is he lying?

And again, is it oustside the realm of possibility she was not real, Te'o was catfished, but was making up a few details to because he didn't want to admit it was just a short (time span) long distance relationship? It certainly isn't, so I'd say it's a bit early to draw conclusions.

I'm going to feel just fine and dandy "jumping to conclusions" that he was lying about this.

Catfished? He's talking about meeting her, man. That's not ambiguous, he's describing when they met.

I think I'm still leaning towards he believed she was real, she wasn't the love of his life or something like that, but after she 'died', began embellishing. Both to raise up and dignify her memory as well as for personal gain.

If Manti had been in on it, I think he might've started panicking a long, long time ago, as soon as the reporter said "I can call Stanford and check [on what her major was]." You know, an "Oh sh--, I didn't think of that" moment. On the other hand, I think perpetrators far less interested in staging a national hoax or worrying about keeping Manti in the clear, would have demonstrated the amount of carelessness evident in the story here.

I can't argue with any of the loss of respect Manti gets for weaving and pumping up a post-hoc story after finding out one of his close female acquaintances who had 'struggled with cancer' had just died. That's flat out embarrassing and it paints him in a very negative light for all the publicity he would've milked out of it.

The whole Manti making up the entire person, and the cancer, and the coma, and the dying, all of that, it's just too sinister for me to wrap my head around. It doesn't make sense.

What if Tuiasosopo knew a beautiful girl and got her to represent herself as his cousin? She is the girl that Te'o met at Stanford 4 years ago and Reagan Mauia met in 6/11. Eventually she gets cold feet and doesn't like the game Tuiasosopo is running just as the con on Te'o is getting serious. Tuiasosopo needs to set up the Twitter account so he gets this Reba girl to give him a picture. From that point on it's Tuiasosopo that is in contact with Te'o. Not sure who was on the phone calls though.

I'm sure you are. That is not a shock at all. Continue on.

I'm with knapplc on this.

Manti Te'o's defense at this point looks something like: "I had an online-only relationship with this girl, the vast majority of the details I publicly disclosed were total lies, despite being a division one athlete, not only was I ok with dating a girl I'd never met before, but never even bothered to video chat the person I loved. And you can totally believe me this time, I promise I've gotten all of the lying out of my system."

The good news for him is that if he's genuinely innocent of complicity in this hoax, it's quite easy for him to prove. Release his phone records, chat logs, etc. The bad news for him is that he is not innocent.

While not saying that Manti Te'o participated in or knew about the hoax that his girlfriend did not exist, a former teammate told ESPN's Bob Holtzman on Wednesday that players knew that the woman wasn't really his girlfriend even though Te'o played that up as his tragic story was being told.

In September, the grandmother of Te'o died, and it was widely reported that his girlfriend died hours later. Media outlets pounced on the story as Notre Dame began their march to the title game. After Deadspin.com broke the hoax story, however, multiple media reports have said that players thought that Te'o had only met Lennay Kekua once and that it wasn't really accurate to call her his girlfriend. But as condolences poured in, Te'o "played along," according to the teammate, who wished to remain anonymous.

The teammate portrayed the move as part of the All-American's personality, telling ESPN that Te'o liked attention so much that he would sometimes point himself out to friends when he was on television.

http://espn.go.com/c...irlfriend-angle

Yep, I have nearly zero respect for Te'o at this point.

What if Tuiasosopo knew a beautiful girl and got her to represent herself as his cousin? She is the girl that Te'o met at Stanford 4 years ago and Reagan Mauia met in 6/11. Eventually she gets cold feet and doesn't like the game Tuiasosopo is running just as the con on Te'o is getting serious. Tuiasosopo needs to set up the Twitter account so he gets this Reba girl to give him a picture. From that point on it's Tuiasosopo that is in contact with Te'o. Not sure who was on the phone calls though.

It doesn't give less implication for The Te'o. Because as post #352 shows, he implies a description of meeting her in person. He purportedly says, in words so delicate and articulate so as to seem from a page of Shakespeare:

"We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular."

She saw me there.

Awsome. There it is. So that's at least the anchor point for his part in it.