Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

this gay theory does not garner my sympathies. yes, it is sad that people have to hide their homosexuality for fear of rejection or persecution. but if the purpose of a fake online relationship is to hide your homosexuality, you do not make the fake relationship your season long inspiration and include car accidents, cancer, and death on the same god damn day as your g-ma. it does not make sense, but even if it is true, i will not feel bad about mocking manti te'o.

It is looking less and less likely to be the case, but I have to disagree with the sympathy bit. Yes, obviously elaborate lies and stuff are bad and if he did do all this stuff to keep his cover, there's no condoning that, and those actions in and of themselves do not lend themselves to sympathy. Where it becomes sad is thinking about the personal demons that a person must be dealing with to do something so irrational when their future was so bright. That's sad, and neither the vileness of the action nor the sadness of the motive cancel each other out. They would have existed as two independent morally conflicting realities. Much like no person is purely good or purely bad.

Yeah, I'd say that's a conclusion erroneously jumped to at this point. Odd thing is, I jumped to that conclusion, and tons of other people all over the country did as well.

Is it worse to make someone up, kill her off, and use that for publicity?

Or is it worse to use someone you barely knew but actually believe was a real human being who had died from an extended battle with cancer, for publicity?

I vote the latter. The former is just weird and sad.

Tyler Moorehead, the Notre Dame rep for college sports network College Spun, recounts from the on-campus gossip:

The debate among teammates wasn't whether or not Manti actually knew this girl - it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn't think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti's girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was - a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te'o's Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn't want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn't participate themselves - they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn't deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew.

Part of latest Deadspin addendum: http://deadspin.com/...ut-lennay-kekua

This does make sense (I was waiting for what the campus grapvine had to say about his life there). If this is true, we just took a hard right turn back into scumbag territory.

this gay theory does not garner my sympathies. yes, it is sad that people have to hide their homosexuality for fear of rejection or persecution. but if the purpose of a fake online relationship is to hide your homosexuality, you do not make the fake relationship your season long inspiration and include car accidents, cancer, and death on the same god damn day as your g-ma. it does not make sense, but even if it is true, i will not feel bad about mocking manti te'o.

It is looking less and less likely to be the case, but I have to disagree with the sympathy bit. Yes, obviously elaborate lies and stuff are bad and if he did do all this stuff to keep his cover, there's no condoning that, and those actions in and of themselves do not lend themselves to sympathy. Where it becomes sad is thinking about the personal demons that a person must be dealing with to do something so irrational when their future was so bright. That's sad, and neither the vileness of the action nor the sadness of the motive cancel each other out. They would have existed as two independent morally conflicting realities. Much like no person is purely good or purely bad.

like i said, i get a fake relationship to hide a secret. however, why create such a dramatic story and publicize it so much? how many football players gf's do we know about (notwithstanding the sec)? and we do not assume they are all gay because they do not have cancer-riddled, car crash victim gf's.

Yeah, I'd say that's a conclusion erroneously jumped to at this point. Odd thing is, I jumped to that conclusion, and tons of other people all over the country did as well.

I certainly did. Oddly the biggest hit against that theory in my book right now is the "campus gossip" about him and other girls. It sounds ridiculous, but his classmates and teammates are by far the best sources for the media to dig through right now. College students are famously loose lipped, and coming from a guy one month out of college, its pretty much impossible to keep your private life well...private while you're in school.

like i said, i get a fake relationship to hide a secret. however, why create such a dramatic story and publicize it so much? how many football players gf's do we know about (notwithstanding the sec)? and we do not assume they are all gay because they do not have cancer-riddled, car crash victim gf's.

Most college football players don't have fake girlfriends. They have real ones. Gay dudes needing to appear straight have fake girlfriends. That's where that theory came from.

I certainly did. Oddly the biggest hit against that theory in my book right now is the "campus gossip" about him and other girls. It sounds ridiculous, but his classmates and teammates are by far the best sources for the media to dig through right now. College students are famously loose lipped, and coming from a guy one month out of college, its pretty much impossible to keep your private life well...private while you're in school.

Not if you have an invisibility cloak

Can this story get any weirder/better?

Absolutely - we have yet to hear actual motives, who all was involved and to what extent, and other embarassing details behind it all.

In comparison to other scandals in which dark secrets and cover-ups became unraveled before our very eyes (like Jerry Sandusky, Bernie Madoff, Trayvon Martin, Charlie Rogers, etc.), this one is not about lives being ruined by murder, abuse, grand theft, or other criminal activity. This is just pure entertainment (except for those directly involved, of course).

Same here. It was the first thought in my head after reading the original deadspin article. But now it's looking like he was just in contact with supposed girl, then supposed girl supposedly dies, he receives attention and thinks "hey, this is pretty neat" and continues to play it to his advantage. Now, if this is the case, and he actually did play it to his advantage under the assumption that she was real and really died, then he has propelled himself to a whole'nother level of scumbaggery.

We all know this will become a Lifetime Movie of the Week! Anybody got any good title ideas? Bring the goods Dont fake it!

Manti Te'o will be played by the guy that played Rufio in the Hook movie that Robin Williams was in

Brian Kelly will be played by William Shatner