Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

This is epic, im not getting anything done today

I'm captivated.

I have so much research to do. Girlfriend is on her way in town, I should have cleaned the apartment.

Nothing is getting done. Can't be bothered.

Is your girlfriend real?? :dunno

Hes trying to make us think hes cool enough to have a GF so he can get nominated for the starting lineup, very clever. Not even GSG can pull that off.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think it could be more likely that Te'o was actually duped, and himself, incredibly naive. If there were any sort of concerted effort from him and the people behind him, I don't see how they could have expected the lie to hold up to the national audience for which it was intended. The lies appear to have been good enough only for one guy, and I don't believe the perpetrators were on his side because they evidently didn't take great care to keep it from coming out. It was either never intended to get this big, or they wanted it to be out eventually, at Te'o's considerable expense (am I using those apostrophes correctly?)

I can't really buy the angle that this was an intended publicity stunt for Te'o and by Te'o, especially given that his grandmother actually did die that day. Te'o could be a lot of things, but a guy that gives this sort of treatment to his dead grandmother? ... I don't want to believe that's possible.

Tyler Moorehead, the Notre Dame rep for college sports network College Spun, recounts from the on-campus gossip:

The debate among teammates wasn't whether or not Manti actually knew this girl - it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn't think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti's girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was - a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te'o's Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn't want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn't participate themselves - they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn't deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew.

Part of latest Deadspin addendum: http://deadspin.com/...ut-lennay-kekua

On the other hand, I could see this happening. Lennay being a girl Manti barely knew, and Manti making the incredibly ill-fated decision to blow their relationship out of proportion when the perps decided to 'kill her off', so to speak, complete with all the embellishments in the world. That seems very likely, much more likely than the guy actually concocting a fake girl to life. It wouldn't let Manti come out of this respectably, but at least it would make sense.

this gay theory does not garner my sympathies. yes, it is sad that people have to hide their homosexuality for fear of rejection or persecution. but if the purpose of a fake online relationship is to hide your homosexuality, you do not make the fake relationship your season long inspiration and include car accidents, cancer, and death on the same god damn day as your g-ma. it does not make sense, but even if it is true, i will not feel bad about mocking manti te'o.

This is epic, im not getting anything done today

I'm captivated.

I have so much research to do. Girlfriend is on her way in town, I should have cleaned the apartment.

Nothing is getting done. Can't be bothered.

Is your girlfriend real?? :dunno

Hes trying to make us think hes cool enough to have a GF so he can get nominated for the starting lineup, very clever. Not even GSG can pull that off.

Both of you ... touché.

Tyler Moorehead, the Notre Dame rep for college sports network College Spun, recounts from the on-campus gossip:

The debate among teammates wasn't whether or not Manti actually knew this girl - it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn't think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti's girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was - a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te'o's Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn't want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn't participate themselves - they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn't deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew.

Part of latest Deadspin addendum: http://deadspin.com/...ut-lennay-kekua

This does make sense (I was waiting for what the campus grapvine had to say about his life there). If this is true, we just took a hard right turn back into scumbag territory.

this gay theory does not garner my sympathies. yes, it is sad that people have to hide their homosexuality for fear of rejection or persecution. but if the purpose of a fake online relationship is to hide your homosexuality, you do not make the fake relationship your season long inspiration and include car accidents, cancer, and death on the same god damn day as your g-ma. it does not make sense, but even if it is true, i will not feel bad about mocking manti te'o.

It is looking less and less likely to be the case, but I have to disagree with the sympathy bit. Yes, obviously elaborate lies and stuff are bad and if he did do all this stuff to keep his cover, there's no condoning that, and those actions in and of themselves do not lend themselves to sympathy. Where it becomes sad is thinking about the personal demons that a person must be dealing with to do something so irrational when their future was so bright. That's sad, and neither the vileness of the action nor the sadness of the motive cancel each other out. They would have existed as two independent morally conflicting realities. Much like no person is purely good or purely bad.