Greatest NU Offensive Lineman

TGHusker

Mick Tinglehoff wasn't too shabby of a player. But one of the toughest guys that if you talk to former players was Jim Scott. All Big 8 Center a couple of times and drafted by the Bears but decided he was tired of the game so he walked away and gave his money back even though he could have kept it.

That's my father's cousin. So technically my cousin as well, but his playing days were beyond my days, so I didn't feel it would be great for me to mention him, as I never witnessed him play. Stories from my father and grandfather, he was an absolute stud. Hall of Fame for here and the Vikings, I would only imagine so.

I didn't realize he was a Husker. I only remember him as a Viking and a great one too.

Toniou Fonoti seems to be forgotten so far.

you guys are shaking my memory - another very good OL from our recent history. As someone mentioned, not having won anything significant as a team since 1999 can cause a person to forget about some real good individual players.

I hope some of the older, more seasoned posters could help me out here because I'm clueless on this one. I understand the '90's run will never happen again, it was the perfect alignment of the stars, with partial qualifiers, no CCG's, no BCS, switch from 5-2 to 4-3 defense and coming up big on several recruits. However, one factor of that run is one that I scratch my head as to why it still can't happen today. We use to corner the market on the some of the best linemen in the country, home-grown right in the great state of Nebraska. Anyone know what the reason is as to why we can't keep churning out these corn-fed, steak-n-tater eating big boys from the plains and consistently have All-American Offensive Lines? We still have farms there in Nebraska that these kids can get "country strong" on and develop the work ethic and strength that will help them succeed on the football field.

Tom Osborne is the main key that was not mentioned above. That said I wish I could offer up better lists than what we have seen here, Remington always stands out to me but that goes without saying. I did like Matt Slauson but mostly because he wore the Buffalo Skin Coat before the Colorado game, classic. Maybe add Carl Nicks to the list.

Who is the greatest NU O lineman? First place is pretty evident - an important award is named after him - Remmington.

Who else should be consdered and where would you rank them.

Which team(s) had the best overall OL in NUs history? 1982 &1983 and 1995 IMHO

Besides Dominic Raiola, I cannot think of one OL from the 2000's that should be on this list. Is that because:

1. Style of offense has changed - we've passed much more than in previous decades - thus less of an emphasis on run blocking & pancakes

2. Poor recruiting

This is my list

Dave Remmington

Dean Steinkuhler

Will Shields

Zach Wiegert

Aaron Taylor

Bob Brown

Brenden Stai

Dominic Raiola

Jake Young

Got to love this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and this

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Begins and ends with big Bob Brown.

I hope some of the older, more seasoned posters could help me out here because I'm clueless on this one. I understand the '90's run will never happen again, it was the perfect alignment of the stars, with partial qualifiers, no CCG's, no BCS, switch from 5-2 to 4-3 defense and coming up big on several recruits. However, one factor of that run is one that I scratch my head as to why it still can't happen today. We use to corner the market on the some of the best linemen in the country, home-grown right in the great state of Nebraska. Anyone know what the reason is as to why we can't keep churning out these corn-fed, steak-n-tater eating big boys from the plains and consistently have All-American Offensive Lines? We still have farms there in Nebraska that these kids can get "country strong" on and develop the work ethic and strength that will help them succeed on the football field.

Tom Osborne is the main key that was not mentioned above. That said I wish I could offer up better lists than what we have seen here, Remington always stands out to me but that goes without saying. I did like Matt Slauson but mostly because he wore the Buffalo Skin Coat before the Colorado game, classic. Maybe add Carl Nicks to the list.

What about this man or should I say don't forget.

51rl69J3LpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Milt_display_image.jpg?1301504827

The man who turned those corn fed home-grown Nebraska boys into All-Americans. He was simply the best.

• Fire 1

What about this man or should I say don't forget.

51rl69J3LpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Milt_display_image.jpg?1301504827

The man who turned those corn fed home-grown Nebraska boys into All-Americans. He was simply the best.

Touche. I wonder if NU tried, if they could get Milt back on the field coaching. I know he still does reports and interviews about Husker Football, so that interest is still there. "The Pipeline"

We had a pipeline and gave our O-lineman lots of love and awards.

But I'd always heard -- starting with Rimington's failure in the NFL -- that the pancake blocks and pulling plays that were a feature of our run dominated offense didn't translate as well in the NFL, where you also had to stand up and backpeddle to provide NFL-caliber pocket protection. Nebraska still put our share of o-lineman in the NFL, but I'm guessing some top recruits were warned off Nebraska because we played a college-specific game for years, and didn't train for pass-protection, which is what scouts wanted to see.

Bob Brown redefined the position and earned as much fame and respect as an offensive lineman in the 1960s could hope to achieve . Has to go down as our greatest lineman.

It also didnt translate as well because of the different styles of run blocking. Our game was more predicated on power. Getting a push. Overpowering defenders. Taking them off their feet. In the NFL, you didnt have the overwhelming strength and depth advantages. Blocking schemes were more zone (of course everything is now) based on getting to an area. A lineman had to focus on just getting to the defender and getting in his and letting the backs read the blocks. I think now that lineman are taught more to just get to a defender and get in his way. They dont necassarily have to blow them off the ball or take them off their feet for a block to be successful.