What type of fan do you consider yourself?--Some questions to Ponder

I had a discussion with a co-worker about the type of Husker fan he was. Are you a homer? Are you a realist?

So, i have a few questions that I think are "hot button" topics... I would say since i didnt grow up a Husker fan, my dedication is growing each year, but i never got to taste the championship years.. I have only had the Callahan/Bo years.

So here we go:

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?--

Taylor has been good for Nebraska?

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB?

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire?

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years?

What has been Bo's biggest flaw?

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy?

Do you think Beck is the right guy?

Beck or Watson...?

Who should be our D-coordinator?

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy?

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist?

Dirk supporter or hater?

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time?

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great?

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick???

In all honesty, these are very low level, boring questions... But i figured it is friday, so lets just put all our stances in one thread.

This all being said, what type of fan do you consider yourself...

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?-- Have to wait till the end of this year to make that statement.

Taylor has been good for Nebraska? -- Sure, he has. Has he possibly cost us a game or two? (Wisconsin '11) sure, but he has also gotten significantly better the last two years and has won us more than he has lost.

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? -- See first question.

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire?

Yes

More than likely, yes.

Sometimes is probably a bit too stubborn, Some people will probably say his media relations but I don't have an issue with that.

Coaching staff

Eh, lets be honest here, Pap is not running the defense.

Yes

Beck or Watson...?

Beck

I wouldn't mind an established d-coordinator but I don't have a name at this moment.

Media

Dirk Chatlain(sp?)

Don't pay that close of attention to it honestly.

Dirk supporter or hater?

Hater

Husker legends

Ahman Green/Zac Taylor/Johnny Rodgers

Yes

Osborne/Rodgers/Rex

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time? I think he will sit right outside the Top-3 just because he doesn't have the hardware.

Taylor has been good for Nebraska? Hell yes. No doubt about it.

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? Kind of goes along with first question, yes.

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire? I love Bo Pelini (no homo). I truly believe he was a great hire and will turn out great for us. His HC experience started with us and he will only improve. He is getting his recruiting legs under him now. No matter what some say, it is incredibly impressive to be with Oregon and Bama as only two BCS teams with 9+ wins since Bo started.

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? I really hope he isn't run out of town before that.

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? First few recruiting classes.

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? I don't think he actually has much responsibility so it is really impossible to say.

Do you think Beck is the right guy? Yes. I hate that he goes away from what's working sometimes but he is evolving great.

Beck or Watson...? Beck. VWatson might be a great OC, but he wasn't right for Nebraska and Bo's staff.

Who should be our D-coordinator? Bo.

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy? Dirk is a tool.

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist? Homer - me. Realist - not Hedley Lamar.

Dirk supporter or hater? See above.

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? Suh.

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? No doubt. His numbers are great, his work ethic is better, his impact on the Huskers program during a fragile time is immeasurable, and his impact on the community/charities is incredible for a 22(?) year-old.

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? Tom is the obvious first pick, but I'll throw this out there ... Taylor Martinez after his senior year loaded up on beer and talking freely, I want that!

This all being said, what type of fan do you consider yourself ...

If there is a Homer - - - - - Hater spectrum and it is 10-1 scale relatively, I sit somewhere around a 7. I'm an optimist to start, but I really believe in this program and Bo Pelini and think we are destined for some great things in the near future.

• Fire 1

I had a discussion with a co-worker about the type of Husker fan he was. Are you a homer? Are you a realist?

So, i have a few questions that I think are "hot button" topics... I would say since i didnt grow up a Husker fan, my dedication is growing each year, but i never got to taste the championship years.. I have only had the Callahan/Bo years.

So here we go:

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?-- No. Not right now.

Taylor has been good for Nebraska? Yes

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? No.

These are tough questions regarding Taylor because his career is not over yet. Jury's still out. My answers are based as of right now.

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire? Yes

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? Yes

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? Lack of focus on recruiting his first couple year. This has reared its ugly head last two seasons. For whatever the reason, his first couple of classed did not produce the necassary talent we need. Bo can coach talent 2009-2010.

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? After 1 year? yes

Do you think Beck is the right guy? Obvious yes.

Beck or Watson...? eyeswear2allthatsholy

Who should be our D-coordinator? ???

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy? Favorite is Sip. Hey, im a homer. I like drinking koolaid in the sunshine. Least favorite is Dirk.

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist? I would say Shatel is the biggest realist. I like his work because I get that bite of reality that I need sometimes. Obviously, outside our radio team, Sip is biggest homer.

Dirk supporter or hater? Hater

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? Brook Berringer

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? No question about it. It's more than on-field performance.

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? Milt Tenopir. Met him at a football camp and just seemed like an onry, interesting character.

In all honesty, these are very low level, boring questions... But i figured it is friday, so lets just put all our stances in one thread.

This all being said, what type of fan do you consider yourself...Loyal, homer, sunshine pumper.

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time? No - skirting top 5. Takes hardware to get inside there.

Taylor has been good for Nebraska? Toss up - he provided some spark, and helped turn an offense around...but he's not the type of QB I expect to see in the future. w/ recruiting and the transition...he was as good as anything we had though.

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? Ask me after this season

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire? Yes, wasn't a lot to choose from - and if assume Gill was the other option, I'd say we

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? No

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? Discipline on the field

Do you think Pap is the right guy? No - Bo is the the DC, just give him the title and get someone into another assistant position like ST

Do you think Beck is the right guy? Yes - he's still learning, but give him a couple more years and he'll be solid. about the same time he leaves.

Beck or Watson...? Beck

Who should be our D-coordinator? Bo

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?-- No

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB?No, good but not elite. Some people will look at his records and say yes without knowing anything about Husker football.

Bo

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? I hope so.

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? I would say that he has too many friends on his staff and they might not always be the best man for the job.

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? I agree that he's not calling all of the plays any way so.....sure.

Do you think Beck is the right guy? Yes, he will be good. Just makes a few strange calls every once and while.

Beck or Watson...? Beck

Who should be our D-coordinator? Bo

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? Grant Wistrom, I loved watching the guy

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? Yes, on and off the field.

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? I would like to have a beer with I M Hipp, Johnny Rodgers, Wistrom, Ahman Green, Eric Crouch, Rex Burkhead, Bob Devaney, Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini and discuss Husker football over the decades and things that have changed and the good times in Husker history.

Without answering all of the questions, I consider myself a realist - I'm happy winning 10 games and contending for conference championships, even if we never become National Champions again - as long as the program stays clean and I'm entertained.

I like Bo. I don't really think he's a great head coach, but he's pretty good. My biggest concern has been lack of discipline. He seems to have become more personally disciplined on the sidelines, now it just needs to be instilled in the team on the field.

I like Martinez...now. I was not a fan of him his first couple years, but he has really grown as a player and a leader. Overall, he is good for the Huskers and I can see him having a dazzling season as a senior. Not one of the top-5 all time, however.

I really like Beck's offense but harbor no ill-will toward Watson. Watson is good at what he knows, but he was not good at what Bo wanted. I'm glad Watson is successful in his new gig, he probably should not have been kept at Nebraska as long as he was.

I don't have favorite (or least) favorite media personalities. Dirk is usually a tool, but I actually like his perspective in many of his articles (maybe that makes me a tool too?). McKewon is a very talented writer whom I enjoy reading, but sometimes he tries too hard. I hated Jim Rose as a play-by-play guy on the radio.

T-Magic

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? No

Bo

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? No

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? Not adapting his defense to his players.

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? No

Do you think Beck is the right guy? Yes

Beck or Watson...? Beck

Who should be our D-coordinator? Marvin Sanders

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy? N/A

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist? N/A

Dirk supporter or hater? Meh

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? Tommie Frazier

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? Yes

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? Tom Osborne

This all being said, what type of fan do you consider yourself... 0+

So here we go:

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?--Stats, yes. But unless there is a championship of some kind in there or even a bowl game victory I would say no.

Taylor has been good for Nebraska? Yes. He has definitely set the foundation of what we are going to be like as an offense.

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? Same as first answer.

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire? From hiring a coordinator, yes. If Osborne thought we could have lured an elite HC from another school, then no.

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? If he wins a CC or competes for a NC, yes. Otherwise I think he will leave on his own.

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? Too much loyalty in the assistants I think is a strength as well.

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? After 1 year, I will reserve judgement for now. After next year though, we will know the answer.

Do you think Beck is the right guy? YES

Beck or Watson...? BECK.

Who should be our D-coordinator? Pap for at least another year to get settled. After that I would take a hard look at Terry Joseph.

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy? Don't care

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist? Don't care

Dirk supporter or hater? Neither. Although I do wonder if the OWH pays him in actual dollars for some of the "articles" he writes

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? The Peter Brothers

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? Yes He did a lot of good things on the field but great things off as well.

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? Terry Joseph. Bo is going to have to figure out a way to keep him here for a long time.

This all being said, what type of fan do you consider yourself... A realist. I hurt when they lose. I am elated when they win. I criticize when something is wrong and cheer when it is good. But come the next day, I am over it and looking forward to the next game.

So here we go:

T-Magic

Taylor has been good for Nebraska? Very much so

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? Top ten.

Bo

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? Yes

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? Either take over the DC spot or hire someone better than himself

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? No

Do you think Beck is the right guy? Yes. Didnt at first though.

Beck or Watson...? Beck. although Watson wasnt nearly as bad as everyone thought.IMO

Who should be our D-coordinator? Either Bo or a High level veteran DC from outside the program

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy? Loves me some Big Red Wrap up! Good input from Fiala ,Kugler,Lawrence,Benning Callahan,Sipple ,Dirk Backcock, and that cute Blonde girl who ran the phones. :D

Sports soundoff was good with J. Peter, and Zatecha.

Sipple, and Shatel are favorite writers, Pavelka and Bremser fave announcers, Pelini show, with that announcer guy (Sharpe?) is painfully boring.

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist? no comprende

Dirk supporter or hater? He thinks what he thinks. I read his stuff, sometimes agree, sometimes not. oh well

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? Probably Suh. way too many faves to really pick one

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? Absolutely

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? 1. Osborne 2. Pelini

In all honesty, these are very low level, boring questions... But i figured it is friday, so lets just put all our stances in one thread. If the board can have a 37 page Stadium Expansion thread, :unsure: they should have no problem with a few like this.

Been watching/listening to the Huskers play for 40 yrs and will til im dead.I try to be realistic and support them no matter what. GBR

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?-- 5TH No hardware - Frazier and Gill will always be #1 & 2 Frazier for leadership & 2 NC & 4 CC; Gill for 3 CC and being a favorite son of the program as player/coach, 3rd Scott Frost - NC & CC and persuasively arguing for Tom's 3rd NC; Crouch - CC & got us to the NC and Heisman. If TM gets a CC he may jump Crouch, if he gets a CC & NC he might jump Frost.

Taylor has been good for Nebraska? Yes - beginning his Jr year we can begin to see what is possible as a senior. If he improves on fumbles he could have an outstanding year. His run against Wisky in the CCG was Crouch like. He's shown this year that he can lead the team in adversity and is becoming a verbal and action leader. The only negative, not a knock on him, but on the situation - I'd still like to see more development behind him. Hopefully this next season.

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? Yes - he is already in the discussion.

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire? Yes. Can't figure out why the D went south other than the whole - he recruited for the big 12 and the move to big 10 gave him D player who weren't right. But looks like we got a good class coming in. Wish we could land those top DL guys.

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? If he wins the CC in the next 2 years - yes. If not, I think he gets pressured to leave. In his own words he came here to win championships - he has been soooo close.

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? Not landing the big DL guys that I thought (perhaps wrongly) would be running here wt his D background. I also think staff mgmt. While he may be trying to build a loyal staff - I'm not sure using NU as a training center for new assistant coaches has worked well. Would have been nice to see more experience in some areas. Maybe since Bo is a take charge guy, an experience guy would be bumping heads wt him and not work :dunno

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? No - see answer above. This is where I think we could have used an experienced DC - again this may conflict wt Bo

Do you think Beck is the right guy? Yes - great O is only going to get better. Sometimes Beck gets into a time warp and I think he is SW - calling passing plays when the run has worked well - trying to get too cute.

Beck or Watson...? Beck - more creative, more adjustments

Who should be our D-coordinator? I think Bo should take the mantle HC and DC and not pretend. Players need to look to one guy. They know when someone is just playing the role.

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy? McKewon is fav. Good fair and thought provoking articles. I don't live in Nebraska - Here in Tulsa I don't get to hear, see, and read as much except the internet. I know Dirk has had a ongoing battle wt Bo. Appears Dirk is trying to 'Be the Man'.

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist? All of us - at times we are all big homers at other times we have to look realistically at our expectations and adjust them. It is hard for me to say this isn't 1995 any more.

Dirk supporter or hater? I've liked some of his articles but he comes across as trying to pick a fight just for the sake of it - playing the devils advocate all of the time.

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? Hard choice since I've been a fan since 1970 - so I'll cheat: Frazier and Gill for reasons noted above.

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? Yes - He's a class act, smart, humble, hardworking and he carried the team many times on his shoulders. He would have had an outstanding year this year if not for the injury.

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? Tom - but I suspect we both would have ice tea. I admire his consistent character & faith. He proved you can lead without being overbearing, self absorbed, and tyrannical. In the same way John Wooden led UCLA. I believe he has been a great role model for all of us. He's not the Pope and has admitted mistakes but he is the anti-Switzer :spooners . Look who is admired more around the country.

Character always wins in the end.

• Fire 2

So here we go:

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?-- Probably not, but he hasn't had near the defenses that some great Qbs have had

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? Yes

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire? Yes, he has the right temperament and understands the culture. Many don't think he can be a great coach. That's what people thought about TO for about 20 years.

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? That I don't know.

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? I think he is a little stubborn and only makes drastic changes when something really has to change.

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? Sure

Do you think Beck is the right guy? Yes

Beck or Watson...? Watson wasn't the guy to run the Type of offense that BP wanted to run.

Who should be our D-coordinator? Charlie McBride chuckleshuffle

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy? I like McKeon a lot. Don't like the way Dirk or Barfy right all the time. Dirk thinks he is being objective, but he seems to take great pride in twisting a knife in the Cornhuskers when they have lost. Barfnect thinks he is some great journalist writing for the Washington post and he has to be Mr. Super Objective.

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist? McKeon

Dirk supporter or hater? Hate is to strong a word how bout dislike.

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? Dave Rimington

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? Sure, he has all the things Nebraska fans like in a hero.

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? Had a beer with McBride and Milt at a mixer. They are great. Players, to many to count.

This all being said, what type of fan do you consider yourself... I guess I am a homer, I always think they can win, but I am not going to get too upset when the lose. Most people, IMO that say they are realists are pessimist. A realist should understand that it doesn't aways go the way they want or expect and that coaching football and playing football at the D-1 level is way more complicated than they think it is.

For BP to have won 10 games this year with the lack of talent on the D-line and LB core is phenomenal. The lack of talent does need to go on Pelini's shoulders somewhat. He is the recruiter, but a lot of players have not panned out either, due to injury or just not being that good. Say what you want, but Rome, Ankra and Guy were 4* on some recruiting services and none of the other D-linemen were below 3* They just haven't stepped up. Hopefully the young guys do.

So here we go:

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?--

LOVE AND HATE MARTINEZ, STATS SAY TOP 3 BUT I SAY NO.

Taylor has been good for Nebraska?

GOOD FOR NEBRASKA? MAYBE IM STUPID DON'T UNDERSTAND QUESTION.

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB?

ELITE?NO, STATS SURE NOT COMPARED TO HOW OTHER NU QBS HAVE WON IN THE PAST.

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire

YES

YES

DOESN'T ALWAYS PLAY PLAYERS WHO PLAY THE BEST

Coaching staff

NO

YES

Beck or Watson...?

BECK

BRING BACK ECKLER

Media

SHATEL

Dirk supporter or hater?

SUPPORTER

Husker legends

THAT'S TOUGH - CHRISTIAN PETER YOU NEED A BIG NASTY GUT IN YOUR D LINE. HE WOULD HAVE KICKED SUHS ASS IN HIS DAY. TO BAD INCOGNITO DIDN'T PLAY D LINE.

PERSON YES, STATS NO, SAME KIND OF GUY AS BERRINGER.

TOM OSBORNE? GIVE ME A BREAK, GREAT GUY SURE BUT NO FUN. ERIC MARTIN OR EITHER PETER BROTHER WOULD BE A BLAST.

IM A REALIST.

T-Magic

Taylor Martinez a top 3 Husker QB of all time?-- MAYBE... need to see

Taylor has been good for Nebraska? YES.

Taylor will go down as an elite NU QB? YES

Bo

5 year+ years late, was Bo the right hire? NO

Do you think Bo is the coach in 5 years? PROBABLY NOT

What has been Bo's biggest flaw? POOR HIRES/POOR UTILIZATION OF PLAYER TALENT

Coaching staff

Do you think Pap is the right guy? NO... not experienced enough...

Do you think Beck is the right guy? MAYBE...

Beck or Watson...? ?

Who should be our D-coordinator? ?

Media

Who is your favorite/least Husker media guy? ?

Who is the biggest homer/biggest realist? ?

Dirk supporter or hater? HE IS FINE

Husker legends

Who is your favorite Husker player of all time? REX/IRVING FRYAR

Does Rex deserve to be considered a Husker great? YES

You can have a beer with any husker player/coach/admin, who do you pick??? DO NOT DRINK...