Braylon Heard Transferring...

I have been saying for ages now that our program has systemic issues. The most obvious place this manifests itself is on the field in the form of massacres. Those are disheartening enough. Now the setbacks (defeats) in recruiting and roster are starting to add up.

It's not even an argument that Heard should have seen a dramatic uptick in carries last season, particularly with Burkhead out for the majority of the time. The rotation at running back has been a freaking joke, and that is at the feet of Ron Brown, Tim Beck, and Bo Pelini. I don't care how much you love Rex or Ameer--and we all love them both. Being great is not the same as being indestructible. After nearly killing Rex two seasons back, we see no progress in that area. And this of course also brings up the question of the decision to not redshirt any one of the Three in the first place. One is out the door (no love lost) and the other, despite his chance this spring, may be heading that way.

The troubling part for me is this. With the way this team has performed over the last two years, how much crack do you have to smoke to think that Nebraska can afford to drop people like Braylon or top prospects like so much loose change? Holy hell. This will be an even better discussion come the day Ameer gets the flu, pulls a hammy, or blows a knee.

And he probably will, considering our philosophy going into the season will probably be to give him 60+ carries a game.

Where are you "cracks beneath the surface" guys at when the team overcomes double digit 4th quarter deficits week after week?

I have been saying for ages now that our program has systemic issues. The most obvious place this manifests itself is on the field in the form of massacres. Those are disheartening enough. Now the setbacks (defeats) in recruiting and roster are starting to add up.

It's not even an argument that Heard should have seen a dramatic uptick in carries last season, particularly with Burkhead out for the majority of the time. The rotation at running back has been a freaking joke, and that is at the feet of Ron Brown, Tim Beck, and Bo Pelini. I don't care how much you love Rex or Ameer--and we all love them both. Being great is not the same as being indestructible. After nearly killing Rex two seasons back, we see no progress in that area. And this of course also brings up the question of the decision to not redshirt any one of the Three in the first place. One is out the door (no love lost) and the other, despite his chance this spring, may be heading that way.

The troubling part for me is this. With the way this team has performed over the last

two years, how much crack do you have to smoke to think that Nebraska can afford to drop people like Braylon or top prospects like so much loose change? Holy hell. This will be an even better discussion come the day Ameer gets the flu, pulls a hammy, or blows a knee.

And he probably will, considering our philosophy going into the season will probably be to give him 60+ carries a game.

Your doom and argument is kinda shot by the fact that this was the #8 rushing team in the nation.

I'll agree that losing Heard isn't great, Hell, he was one of my favorite "what if?" guys. But him not getting enough carries to keep his panties unwadded was not the reason Nebraska lost 4 games last year. Who knows? Maybe if he would have embraced his position switch last year, he's a starter. It's not unheard of in this program to take a guy with raw speed and talent at RB and make him an all-world DB. Prince Amukamara is a New York Giant because of that reason. That falls on Bo Pelini too.

Ultimately, he either didn't want to be here or didn't work enough to merit more playing time. This theory that this coaching staff conspires to keep the real talent off the field is really getting old.

• Fire 2

Is it our program or the nature of college football today? It's not a Nebraska-only issue.

Here's Scout's 2010 list of top QBs. Two seasons later, eight of the top ten aren't with the school they signed with.

LINK

1 - Jake Heaps; signed with BYU, now with Kansas

2 - Philip Sims; signed with Alabama, now with VCU

3 - Paul Jones; signed with PSU, now with Robert Morris

4 - Blake Bell; signed with Oklahoma, still with the Sooners

5 - Devin Gardner; signed with Michigan, still with the Wolverines

6 - Jesse Scroggins; signed with USC, now with Arizona

7 - Scotty Young; signed with Texas Tech, now with Louisiana Tech

8 - Rob Bolden; signed with PSU, now with LSU

9 - Connor Wood; signed with Texas, now with Colorado

10 - Bryan Bennett; signed with Oregon, now with Southeastern Louisiana.

• Fire 4

Its now coming out that this wasnt supposed to be leaked until after spring ball. He was going to wait thru spring and see if he liked his new position as a slot, rb type of guy like Kenyan Barner. Then he was going to decide. Its not for sure hes leaving, but now that its been leaked, who knows whats going to happen. I dont know why he wouldnt be happy about this, they are just trying to get him on the field. Im guessing he told someone back home that he might transfer after spring and hes not happy and might transfer and someone leaked it. Atleast theres hope he will atleast stick around thru spring and see if he likes his new position.

• Fire 1

Your doom and argument is kinda shot by the fact that this was the #8 rushing team in the nation.

I'll agree that losing Heard isn't great, Hell, he was one of my favorite "what if?" guys. But him not getting enough carries to keep his panties unwadded was not the reason Nebraska lost 4 games last year. Who knows? Maybe if he would have embraced his position switch last year, he's a starter. It's not unheard of in this program to take a guy with raw speed and talent at RB and make him an all-world DB. Prince Amukamara is a New York Giant because of that reason. That falls on Bo Pelini too.

Ultimately, he either didn't want to be here or didn't work enough to merit more playing time. This theory that this coaching staff conspires to keep the real talent off the field is really getting old.

You're right. It's old as the hills, and that's the problem. From what I can tell the folks that forecast an imminent national championship run have two arguments. The first is the weakness of our schedule. The second is players already on the roster who simply haven't gotten on the field much or often--depth. Which of course raises the question of how that's going to work out when talented players rarely see the field. I understand your reluctance, by the way, to actually deal with any of the decisions made by the staff or how the running back rotation has been handled. It's difficult to defend. Braylon in particular. I made no doom argument. The program isn't doomed; it's just mediocre. Losing recruiting battles and electric players like Heard left and right lead me to expect more of the same.

Where are you "cracks beneath the surface" guys at when the team overcomes double digit 4th quarter deficits week after week?

In the same place saying the same thing. Beating garbage competition with the aid of last minute heroics and questionable PI calls is entertaining enough, but it doesn't do much to negate my position, which is that our program has issues, and one of those issues is getting talent like Braylon on the field. This may turn out to be nothing--I've seen no confirmation yet, but if it does happen, it's only once incident in a long line of transfers and recruiting setbacks that pretty much confirm my expectation for continued mediocrity.

You sound butt hurt.

Your cliché is overused on this board. Aside from being uninventive it's the first reaction of the Sunshine Pumper's Union every time any person calls anything into question about this program or staff.

Try harder.

• Fire 4

Its now coming out that this wasnt supposed to be leaked until after spring ball. He was going to wait thru spring and see if he liked his new position as a slot, rb type of guy like Kenyan Barner. Then he was going to decide. Its not for sure hes leaving, but now that its been leaked, who knows whats going to happen. I dont know why he wouldnt be happy about this, they are just trying to get him on the field. Im guessing he told someone back home that he might transfer after spring and hes not happy and might transfer and someone leaked it. Atleast theres hope he will atleast stick around thru spring and see if he likes his new position.

This would make sense. It was initially reported by the paper in youngstown. Bo not having a comment last night suggests he was taken by surprise and was angered by the notion. Who knows. Maybe there is still hope? A move to slot as a utility ala Barner would be a good move in my opinion, but jeez, how much is he going to gain there? We already have Bell, Turner, Enunwa, etc. I mean, I guess it's a good problem to have, but we are overloaded at skill positions. Attrition is inevitable.

Is it our program or the nature of college football today? It's not a Nebraska-only issue.

Here's Scout's 2010 list of top QBs. Two seasons later, eight of the top ten aren't with the school they signed with.

LINK

It certainly isn't unique to Nebraska, but with someone like Heard, you have to ask yourself if getting a very gifted runner more carries would help... Abdullah is a great back, but I think Heard can be just as good. Instead of relying on one back for 20-25 carries a game, why not spread it around to this great stable of backs we are supposed to (and seems like we do) have?

You're right. It's old as the hills, and that's the problem. From what I can tell the folks that forecast an imminent national championship run have two arguments. The first is the weakness of our schedule. The second is players already on the roster who simply haven't gotten on the field much or often--depth. Which of course raises the question of how that's going to work out when talented players rarely see the field. I understand your reluctance, by the way, to actually deal with any of the decisions made by the staff or how the running back rotation has been handled. It's difficult to defend. Braylon in particular. I made no doom argument. The program isn't doomed; it's just mediocre. Losing recruiting battles and electric players like Heard left and right lead me to expect more of the same.

In the same place saying the same thing. Beating garbage competition with the aid of last minute heroics and questionable PI calls is entertaining enough, but it doesn't do much to negate my position, which is that our program has issues, and one of those issues is getting talent like Braylon on the field. This may turn out to be nothing--I've seen no confirmation yet, but if it does happen, it's only once incident in a long line of transfers and recruiting setbacks that pretty much confirm my expectation for continued mediocrity.

You sound butt hurt.

Your cliché is overused on this board. Aside from being uninventive it's the first reaction of the Sunshine Pumper's Union every time any person calls anything into question about this program or staff.

Try harder.

Well, I understand your point on that. But when I read "systematic issues" after a transfer, I take it as suggesting that there are issues between players and coaches. I will not argue that we have x's and o's issues and roster management issues, but I refuse to agree that there is a rift between the team and Bo or the team and coaches because a player or two leaves every year. Mediocre competition or not, wins like take guts and heart. The team wouldnt to that for a coach they had issues with. Again, I probable took it the wrong way-or not.

LINK

+1

it's the nature of college today.

Yup. Its just like us picking up JRose from Auburn....a top flight SEC cornerback that started as a TrueFrosh for them. Things happen, players leave.

LINK

It certainly isn't unique to Nebraska, but with someone like Heard, you have to ask yourself if getting a very gifted runner more carries would help... Abdullah is a great back, but I think Heard can be just as good. Instead of relying on one back for 20-25 carries a game, why not spread it around to this great stable of backs we are supposed to (and seems like we do) have?

Heard isn't remotely the same kind of prospect as these QBs, and they all transferred. The point remains valid. Transfers happen to all teams, all positions. It's not unique to Nebraska, nor is the loss of Heard (if it truly happens) a greater loss to us than the loss of these players was to these schools.

Man if Braylon Heard is an "electric" player, then I need to re-read that definition. Electric players see the field often. Players with loads of potential but don't want to do the work, get left home on trips to Wisconsin after seeing a bunch of playing time his freshman year up to that point, and don't buy into the program and its wishes for you.....well, usually they transfer.

Again, I liked the kid, but it is becoming pretty clear that was the case, not coaching ineptitude.