Braylon Heard Transferring...

We ran the most screens when we had Callahan, because that was a forte of his, and our team was well-suited for it. There are only so many different packages you can install on offense and I don't see screens as one of the team's strengths. I get a lot of disagreement about this, but two consecutive offensive coordinators haven't done it with Taylor. So is it possible that Taylor isn't much of a 'touch' passer who can make those soft throws to the RB in the face of the allowed pressure that comes on these screen plays?

On the other hand, the outside WR screens we have seen some of this year. I think we can work that into our game; Taylor throws with plenty of zip. He needs to be careful with the timing and placement though. One of his throws to Jamal nearly went into the defender's hands.

I don't know how many of Ameer's missed assignments were missed assignments or he was just misdirected. The QB has to see where the blitz is coming from and make the calls to his protection. I bring this up again just because I think that has been a known issue with Taylor, at least in the past.

• Fire 1

Loved B Heards running style! So fluid and instinctive! His running style conjures up the beauty of Ken Griffey jrs swing! Gonna be missed, was looking forward to him killin it next year.

Agreed couldn't have said it better myself. +1

I think he is a fine RB, but am I the only one who thought he ran to upright? Also, he was incredibly fast, but I didn't notice must ability to be elusive.

He is gonna be good, but give me Abdullah every day of the week....

I agree on his running style. He's cut and go, but if there is contact or a need for a little wiggle, he lacks a bit... He's good, but IMO he's not going to beat out Abdullah.

So is it possible that Taylor isn't much of a 'touch' passer who can make those soft throws to the RB in the face of the allowed pressure that comes on these screen plays?

This is what I was getting at.

He doesn't do well with the touch passes. Yes, he has gotten better about quickly zipping it out to the flat when he is in trouble. Much different in my mind.

remember when we ran screens?

Tim Beck doesn't.

last i remember was with paul, but those usually did not turn out well. a lot of teams like to use them against us; those are fairly successful. if you are a run first team, you have to be able to utilize the screen.

Not really.

Sure, it is an option that you can use that can be successful. But, it isn't a "Have to" deal.

remember when we ran screens?

Tim Beck doesn't.

last i remember was with paul, but those usually did not turn out well. a lot of teams like to use them against us; those are fairly successful. if you are a run first team, you have to be able to utilize the screen.

Not really.

Sure, it is an option that you can use that can be successful. But, it isn't a "Have to" deal.

all right, i should have said, "if you are a run first team, it is a good idea to know how to utilize the screen". my point was that if you run well enough that they start to stack the box, the screen is deadly and will keep them honest. the play action works, but we risk a sack for 12 yards.

Ameer has to avoid injury in the first 3-4 games and we are fine. And get Newby/Taylor some touches to get them into the groove just in case.

IN RON BROWN, I TRUST.

That makes me a bit nervous. This coaching staff has not done a good job of getting backups into the game.

Not being argumentative, what carry split would you like to see?

In a similar situation in 2011, Rex was a Junior and had three Freshmen behind him. Rex was the feature back AND our big back.

• Rex - 284 carries
  • Ameer - 42 carries
  • Braylon - 25 carries
  • Aaron - 24 carries

Now, we have a Junior Ameer, a Sophomore big back that knows the playbook, and two Freshmen studs.

Rex had a lot of load that year but had little experience or size behind him. Now Ameer will have both with Cross.

While a loaded backfield is a good problem to have, it still sucks when this stuff happens. I disagree with the others who are knocking his ballcarrying ability and saying he only has a future at DB. From what I heard his lack of playing time was almost solely due to his inconsistency as a pass blocker, which is a huge element for our RB's in our offense.

Watch his high school film. it's jaw dropping how quickly he accelerates past the second level, and he showed that acceleration here too. One of the most impressive film reels I've seen out out of an NU recruit. In my opinion his HS film was better than Rex, Aaron green's or Marlon Lucky's (some of the higher touted backs we've recruited recently).

With this news I think Newby doesn't RS but Taylor still does. Before this news I woulda said both would be RS'd. Newby's film is equally impressive as heard's in much of the same ways. They get past the second level in an unbelievably short amount of time.

Best of luck to the guy. as i have with most transfers out of NU, I'm gonna keep close tabs on the him.

We ran the most screens when we had Callahan, because that was a forte of his, and our team was well-suited for it. There are only so many different packages you can install on offense and I don't see screens as one of the team's strengths. I get a lot of disagreement about this, but two consecutive offensive coordinators haven't done it with Taylor. So is it possible that Taylor isn't much of a 'touch' passer who can make those soft throws to the RB in the face of the allowed pressure that comes on these screen plays?

On the other hand, the outside WR screens we have seen some of this year. I think we can work that into our game; Taylor throws with plenty of zip. He needs to be careful with the timing and placement though. One of his throws to Jamal nearly went into the defender's hands.

I don't know how many of Ameer's missed assignments were missed assignments or he was just misdirected. The QB has to see where the blitz is coming from and make the calls to his protection. I bring this up again just because I think that has been a known issue with Taylor, at least in the past.

Remember the OU game(year?) we came out with a WR screen to start the game and apparently the OU defense was in our huddle. I think they picked off two of them for pick 6s and forced a fumble on another.