Braylon Heard Transferring...

Is it our program or the nature of college football today? It's not a Nebraska-only issue.

Here's Scout's 2010 list of top QBs. Two seasons later, eight of the top ten aren't with the school they signed with.

LINK

1 - Jake Heaps; signed with BYU, now with Kansas

2 - Philip Sims; signed with Alabama, now with VCU

3 - Paul Jones; signed with PSU, now with Robert Morris

4 - Blake Bell; signed with Oklahoma, still with the Sooners

5 - Devin Gardner; signed with Michigan, still with the Wolverines

6 - Jesse Scroggins; signed with USC, now with Arizona

7 - Scotty Young; signed with Texas Tech, now with Louisiana Tech

8 - Rob Bolden; signed with PSU, now with LSU

9 - Connor Wood; signed with Texas, now with Colorado

10 - Bryan Bennett; signed with Oregon, now with Southeastern Louisiana.

+1

it's the nature of college today.

Yup. Its just like us picking up JRose from Auburn....a top flight SEC cornerback that started as a TrueFrosh for them. Things happen, players leave.

What???

I thought the answer was that we were supposed to always be starting our freshmen. I thought that is what every successful program does and that keeps them happy and you win championships and everyone gives hugs and high fives.

Well, I understand your point on that. But when I read "systematic issues" after a transfer, I take it as suggesting that there are issues between players and coaches. I will not argue that we have x's and o's issues and roster management issues, but I refuse to agree that there is a rift between the team and Bo or the team and coaches because a player or two leaves every year. Mediocre competition or not, wins like take guts and heart. The team wouldnt to that for a coach they had issues with. Again, I probable took it the wrong way-or not.

Most recruits mention the 'family atmosphere' at Nebraska and I've heard enough players talk about how much they love playing for coach Bo that I don't make much of that, either. The Tyler Moore and Aaron Green situations also had dynamics beyond just playing time. Regardless, we're losing too many players and too many recruits. That's a systemic issue. You can give a hundred reasons or excuses for every one, but the lack of talent has led to two seasons of blowout losses and national embarrassments. Say whatever you want, they take a toll.

I am also not convinced that our coaching staff is all that it could be. But that's for another day. Hopefully we luck out and Braylon stays. With the way our defense has been lately and our whiffs on the JUCOs everyone was counting on to save the day, we need all the offensive firepower we can get our hands on. People who think we can replace Braylon with a freshman and a wave of a wand need to stop a think a minute.

• Fire 2

Is it our program or the nature of college football today? It's not a Nebraska-only issue.

Here's Scout's 2010 list of top QBs. Two seasons later, eight of the top ten aren't with the school they signed with.

LINK

+1

it's the nature of college today.

Yup. Its just like us picking up JRose from Auburn....a top flight SEC cornerback that started as a TrueFrosh for them. Things happen, players leave.

Very good point. I'm more excited about JRose at CB than DWalker at WR. I'll take that trade all day. Really excited to see him play. CAN'T WAIT (Bart Scott voice).

LINK

And all the way down at #T20 ... wait for it ... CAM NEWTON. Gotta love Rivals.

You can give a hundred reasons or excuses for every one, but the lack of talent has led to two seasons of blowout losses and national embarrassments. Say whatever you want, they take a toll.

But (assuming that Braylon may transfer) in this case, it's an example of just the opposite. He'd most likely be transferring as a direct result of increased talent coming in.

LINK

1 - Jake Heaps; signed with BYU, now with Kansas [coaching change at Kansas - spot open]

3 - Paul Jones; signed with PSU, now with Robert Morris [coaching change at PSU]

6 - Jesse Scroggins; signed with USC, now with Arizona [coaching change at USC]

7 - Scotty Young; signed with Texas Tech, now with Louisiana Tech [coaching change at Tech]

8 - Rob Bolden; signed with PSU, now with LSU [coaching change at PSU]

9 - Connor Wood; signed with Texas, now with Colorado [coaching change at Colorado - spot open]

(I +1ed ya fyi) but there is a common denominator in most of these...i'm not implying this is the reasoning behind these - and I didn't look at the dates of their transfers either so maybe some of those guy (like the PSU players) were gone before the scandal.

point is, it's one thing when we are seeing transfers with coaching changes - like Green not fitting and going to Tulsa...and another when we seem to have a fairly stable situation, certainly not one that has changed in any way over the years.

• Fire 3

Its now coming out that this wasnt supposed to be leaked until after spring ball. He was going to wait thru spring and see if he liked his new position as a slot, rb type of guy like Kenyan Barner. Then he was going to decide. Its not for sure hes leaving, but now that its been leaked, who knows whats going to happen. I dont know why he wouldnt be happy about this, they are just trying to get him on the field. Im guessing he told someone back home that he might transfer after spring and hes not happy and might transfer and someone leaked it. Atleast theres hope he will atleast stick around thru spring and see if he likes his new position.

This kind of story jives more with the report that "sources say he wants to play closer to home." Talking with friends/family about the move and stuff getting leaked.

Man if Braylon Heard is an "electric" player, then I need to re-read that definition. Electric players see the field often. Players with loads of potential but don't want to do the work, get left home on trips to Wisconsin after seeing a bunch of playing time his freshman year up to that point, and don't buy into the program and its wishes for you.....well, usually they transfer.

Again, I liked the kid, but it is becoming pretty clear that was the case, not coaching ineptitude.

Everyone and their mother saw this spring as a Braylon/Ameer battle, and not in the Sam Keller/Joe Ganz sense of the word battle. There was every reason to think it was a coin flip between them. However you describe Ameer, roughly the same can be said of Braylon. Even if he lost the battle, you have a seasoned, talented running back in a run-first offense that is no longer going to be there to 1) play a sizable backup role (whatever that means with our rotation management) or 2) step in if Ameer goes down, even if it's only one quarter when a game is on the line.

• Fire 3

You can give a hundred reasons or excuses for every one, but the lack of talent has led to two seasons of blowout losses and national embarrassments. Say whatever you want, they take a toll.

But (assuming that Braylon may transfer) in this case, it's an example of just the opposite. He'd most likely be transferring as a direct result of increased talent coming in.

That's an assumption I'm not willing to make. There is talent coming in, sure, but Braylon is a junior going on his third year of D-1 conditioning and probably a complete mastery of the playbook. Newby and Taylor will contribute, but jump Braylon after a month in fall camp? That's a leap for me.

• Fire 2

Its now coming out that this wasnt supposed to be leaked until after spring ball. He was going to wait thru spring and see if he liked his new position as a slot, rb type of guy like Kenyan Barner. Then he was going to decide. Its not for sure hes leaving, but now that its been leaked, who knows whats going to happen. I dont know why he wouldnt be happy about this, they are just trying to get him on the field. Im guessing he told someone back home that he might transfer after spring and hes not happy and might transfer and someone leaked it. Atleast theres hope he will atleast stick around thru spring and see if he likes his new position.

This kind of story jives more with the report that "sources say he wants to play closer to home." Talking with friends/family about the move and stuff getting leaked.

That reminds me of AGreen...

That's an assumption I'm not willing to make. There is talent coming in, sure, but Braylon is a junior going on his third year of D-1 conditioning and probably a complete mastery of the playbook. Newby and Taylor will contribute, but jump Braylon after a month in fall camp? That's a leap for me.

But why??? All I hear/read is people complaining that we don't start our true freshmen and that's why they are unhappy. Everyone else does it.

For the record...I agree with you.

Man if Braylon Heard is an "electric" player, then I need to re-read that definition. Electric players see the field often. Players with loads of potential but don't want to do the work, get left home on trips to Wisconsin after seeing a bunch of playing time his freshman year up to that point, and don't buy into the program and its wishes for you.....well, usually they transfer.

Again, I liked the kid, but it is becoming pretty clear that was the case, not coaching ineptitude.

Everyone and their mother saw this spring as a Braylon/Ameer battle, and not in the Sam Keller/Joe Ganz sense of the word battle. There was every reason to think it was a coin flip between them. However you describe Ameer, roughly the same ca

n be said of Braylon. Even if he lost the battle, you have a seasoned, talented running back in a run-first offense that is no longer going to be there to 1) play a sizable backup role (whatever that means with our rotation management) or 2) step in if Ameer goes down, even if it's only one quarter when a game is on the line.

Ameer doesn't have disciplinary issues, nor does he grumble about leaving to people who have already left the program. Can't say that about Heard.

Also, there was a true frosh last year who saw the field plenty, and I'm betting has more than enough talent to help Ameer out. HIs name is Imani Cross.