Braylon Heard Transferring...

The thing that concerns me most about this -- with regards to systemic issues and how the staff handles the roster -- is how disappointed da skers was as he weighed in on the topic (emphasis mine).

I haven't read through this thread but i have to say this is very disappointing. My one issue with this staff is roster management. They don't seem to a great job with it when they get log jammed at a spot. I also think its odd that the two places we seem to lose the most people are the two coaches that were cut from the "old" cloth of the Nebraska way. I don't know if its just a qwinky dink or if something is there that needs addressed. I also know things like this happen everywhere. It just sucks when its your team.

I hope Bo and Heard can get things hashed out. I know they wanted to use him like Johnny Rodgers this year playing a wing back, slot kind of receiver/I-back. I know its tough feeling like you're giving everything to the team and feel like your feet keep spinning because you can't get roots at one position too.

Otherwise I would feel it's just a tough, but not really unnatural loss at a logjam spot. But a lot of people who seem to know their stuff in this thread really have been raving about Heard. And his expected contributions for next season.

Well I guess if we were looking a moving him to a new position it was time for him to go. He seemed to be a very good running back but for whatever reason it looks like he decided that he needs a new staff to work for. I always hate to see a player leave but It is better than a scholie athlete sitting on the bench. I wish him the best. If the reason for leaving is to be close to home than this could be a big blow to the team. If the reason it that he left is because he saw Cross as the next number #1 than I am glad that we have the depth and the extra scholarship.

What else could they do at this log-jammed spot?

He was not as good as Rex and Ameer. So, we tried to get him on the field at another position.

Now Rex is gone. He should be the #2 every-down back. We are also trying to get him the ball in other creative ways.

That is, unless he thinks a freshman may beat him out ...

I am just a reader, but had to respond. Heard is a good back, but had trouble blocking in the pro set. This is the main reason he did not see any more carries.

That doesn't make any sense. I could see why that would mean he wouldn't be asked to block as much, but he was obviously a tremendous asset as a ball carrier. Why not use that to help the team? Seemed preferable to wearing down Abdullah.

Probably because if he is only in there to run the ball, the defense will pick up on it, and will stack the box.

Which is a perfect set up for play action pass. . .

It's not that we were looking for a new position for him, it's that we were trying to utilize his abilities along with Ameer and get them both on the field.

It's just a shame that a) the coaches didn't do a better job of selling this and b) that Braylon obviously didn't see it as that.

I'm sure his prior move to, and back from, CB had some to do with this.

AA is far from a good pass protection guy and that never stopped him from seeing the field.

You only say that because he got blasted backward into Martinez like 100 times last year.

Aside from that, he was pretty good.

Not nearly as often as he missed his blocking assignments, it would seem. Although, I realize you're wildly exaggerating.

I am just a reader, but had to respond. Heard is a good back, but had trouble blocking in the pro set. This is the main reason he did not see any more carries.

That doesn't make any sense. I could see why that would mean he wouldn't be asked to block as much, but he was obviously a tremendous asset as a ball carrier. Why not use that to help the team? Seemed preferable to wearing down Abdullah.

Probably because if he is only in there to run the ball, the defense will pick up on it, and will stack the box.

remember when we ran screens? nothing is better than a well-executed screen.

And when he cant pick up a blitz on a time consuming play-fake?

And when he cant pick up a blitz on a time consuming play-fake?

Then it would be roughly the same outcome as with Abdullah. Let's be honest, Ameer was a pretty big liability when it came to pass protection. I'm not really buying that as a legitimate reason as to why it was a better idea to run Ameer ragged.

remember when we ran screens?

Tim Beck doesn't.

If we are talking an over-the-top RB screen, I don't think Taylor Martinez throws that ball well AT ALL. We have run it a few times, and I'm scared shitless every time.

he has gotten better at throwing to the relief guy (usually burkhead) on the flat. it is the same throw.