Best Defensive Back in NU History

TGHusker

We have had some great DBs in our long history. My memory is pretty short when it comes to the 60s - 70s - most of my list deals wt the 80s - present. With this catagory, I think the discussion begins with Mike Brown. I think he set the standard and is the standard for hard hitting, great coverage agressive DB play. My top 10 list is a ranking of order of who I would want on my team. For example the 1st 5 would make a great 5 back group. Combination of speed, hard hitting and coverage guys.

My second 10 follows - but in no ranking order. I'm sure you can think of many more names to add to the discussion.

Do you see any of our current guys or recruits making this list? If so, who?

Mike Brown - top of the class, aggressive hitter, great coverage

Ralph Brown agressive hitter

Josh Bullocks 10 intercepts in his last season

Daniel Bullocks - long interception returns

Baron Miles - hard hitter - Great special teams player - many blocked kicks

Michael Booker

Prince Amukamara - had fewer opportunities as a senior to stack up the records - QBs were avoiding him. Tight coverage guy

Alfonnzo Dennard - injury hurt his senior year. But like Prince, QBs knew better not to throw his way. Tight coverage

Mike Minter

Eric Warfield

2nd Group

Tyrone Williams

Bret Clark

Keyou Craver

DeJuan Groce (perhaps better known for his special team play)

Matt O'Hanlon - great at run support and also the unexpected blitz

Bruce Pickens

Pat Fisher

Eric Stoken

Brian Washiginton

Dana Stephenson

It's tough for me to compare DB's under Pelini to those under McBride. Charlie's created times where guys would get burned a time or too. But if I had to go with my guy, my top 5 would be...

1) Ralph Brown. Started day one as a true freshman, every single game and was as solid in his first game as his last.

2) Barron Miles.

3) Prince Amukamara-his lack of "production" as a senior was a result of his own supremecy

4) Mike Minter

5) Tyrone Williams.

Don't forget Gomes and Hagg.

I don't recall a more exciting/potent defensive backfield than when we say Amukamara, Dennard, Hagg, and Gomes back there at the same time. It's hard to rank them in comparison to having Mike and Ralph Brown together for four years, or to the 1995 unit (the DL got way more well-deserved pub, but the DBs showed against Florida that they had it goin' on), but the 2009 DBs were so much fun to watch and inspired a lot of confidence (in combination with Suh up front) when we knew the offense wasn't going to get it done.

Don't forget Gomes and Hagg.

I don't recall a more exciting/potent defensive backfield than when we say Amukamara, Dennard, Hagg, and Gomes back there at the same time. It's hard to rank them in comparison to having Mike and Ralph Brown together for four years, or to the 1995 unit (the DL got way more well-deserved pub, but the DBs showed against Florida that they had it goin' on), but the 2009 DBs were so much fun to watch and inspired a lot of confidence (in combination with Suh up front) when we knew the offense wasn't going to get it done.

Great catch. Hagg and Gomes were great and should be on the list. Boy if we could have that D wt today's O - but ifs and buts were candy and nuts it would be Christmas all year long.