2014 Combine

I don't get how people think Taylor will be looked at for skill positions. It seems every single week every Husker fan on the internet is bemoaning his inability to make cuts, have lateral agility and shiftiness, and can only run in a straight line. That doesn't translate well to any position on the field.

I don't get how people think Taylor will be looked at for skill positions. It seems every single week every Husker fan on the internet is bemoaning his inability to make cuts, have lateral agility and shiftiness, and can only run in a straight line. That doesn't translate well to any position on the field.

Lots of Husker "fans" would rather see T-Mart do well in the NFL than college! haha

I know its a year away, but if Taylor Martinez has another season like this last year in terms of yardage and completion percentage does he get an invite to the combine as a qb or will he be similar to denard and go in as a wr prospect? also what other huskers will most likely get invites?

WR or Safety. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that he gets invited as a QB. And I'm one of the bigger supporters of Taylor Martinez that there is.

I also just want to throw out that I firmly believe Taylor would get a shot and a look as a quarterback if he made better decisions. He's got all the tangibles you would need - great arm strength, really good accuracy, good footwork and progression mechanics when he's not under duress. It's the mental side of his game that brings him down. Whenever he one hops a pass or throws picks, it's always the result of a poor decision - not poor skillset.

I also just want to throw out that I firmly believe Taylor would get a shot and a look as a quarterback if he made better decisions. He's got all the tangibles you would need - great arm strength, really good accuracy, good footwork and progression mechanics when he's not under duress. It's the mental side of his game that brings him down. Whenever he one hops a pass or throws picks, it's always the result of a poor decision - not poor skillset.

I disagree. Under the best of circumstances, his mechanics are not very good to bad. Under pressure, his mechanics resort to the poor to horrendous that we saw for 2 years. I suppose that if given years of tutelage under a good QB coach in the NFL that he could develop into a usable backup. However, NFL teams don't spend years developing backups.

If Denard Robinson couldn't get a combine invite as a QB, Taylor Martinez won't. No disrespect intended toward Martinez. He's a very good college QB, but he isn't an NFL QB.

• Fire 2

I disagree. Under the best of circumstances, his mechanics are not very good to bad. Under pressure, his mechanics resort to the poor to horrendous that we saw for 2 years. I suppose that if given years of tutelage under a good QB coach in the NFL that he could develop into a usable backup. However, NFL teams don't spend years developing backups.

If Denard Robinson couldn't get a combine invite as a QB, Taylor Martinez won't. No disrespect intended toward Martinez. He's a very good college QB, but he isn't an NFL QB.

Taylor's a decidedly better passer than Denard.

I don't think Martinez is that accurate outside of his 20 yard range. Arm strength is also something I don't think he has. Short distance yes, but he has troubles throwing a ball where it needs to be outside 20 yards. Either our receivers are cutting back to get the ball, or they slow down. I am all for Martinez, and have loved the kids work ethic, but I don't think he has very good accuracy or arm strength outside 20 yards. It only gets worse when he starts to get rattled. He has done well, actually very well under pressure, just doesn't recover very well under pressure.

For him only being a QB for 5 years of his life, he has done exceptionally well, and I couldn't expect him to be any better than what he is right now. We have gotten more than we should have, out of a converted QB.

Just my opinion :)

Taylor's a decidedly better passer than Denard.

At times.... neither is an NFL QB though.

Player A Junior Year:

• 3563 yards passing
  • 58% completion percentage
  • 28/14 TD/Int
  • 127.5 QB Rating
  • 435 yards rushing at 3.0 per for 9 TD
  • 5'11"

Player B Junior Year:

• 2871 yards passing
  • 62% completion percentage
  • 23/12 TD/Int
  • 141.6 QB Rating
  • 1019 yards rushing at 5.2 per for 10 TD
  • 6'1"

Player A started in the NFL as a rookie and led his team to a playoff win.

Player B is Taylor.

I'll save judgment.

• Fire 2