Nebraska Wrestling

Nash gassed. That’s fine. Allred was inexcusable. Robb should be smarter. That’s not a match he should lose. Giving an escape to end period. Getting taken down and then 35 seconds to get up to send it to OT and doesn’t get it done. VanDee was by far our best match. No points from Lovett or Pinto in Period 1 just isn’t going to get it done.. After 133 Nebraska had every chance to take control of the dual. They did not. Disappointing. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Alright, thoughts from the dual. I agree with everyone else that it was a subpar night. Nebraska looked gassed out there while Iowa was very crisp.

125--Ayala completely dominated. Smith seemed to be able to get to his setups and he had an underhook a few times but he generated zero offense out there.

133--Best performance of the night IMO. Van Dee wrestled outstanding. Great mat awareness, great pace. Just a terrific showing.

141--I don't if Woods is just levels above Hardy or if Woods is just a bad matchup for him. Woods seems to have completely figured out Hardy's funk and unless Hardy can completely change things up, tonight's result is going to be par for the course. For the record, I hate Hardy's style where he lets everyone into his legs and just is able to gumby.

149--Was honestly hoping for bonus out of Ridge. Iowa guy was clearly not going to do anything and I thought Ridge played with his food too much.

157--No real notes, just 2 high level dudes going at it and Franek was a little bit better. Pure toss up match.

165--This was a pretty good 'there are levels to this' match. Caliendo is every single bit of 165 and you can tell Antrell is a little bit undersized (although he looks great out there). Caliendo is just really tough. Good effort out of Taylor and he did a nice job of not getting majored there at the end.

174--Good fight out of Bubba, I think Kennedy is just better and we saw that tonight. 

184--Pinto so weird man, he's a mutant athlete, so explosive, so strong. He's got NCAA champ upside but the gas tank isn't quite there and he weirdly has bad mat awareness at times. He looked really close to getting taken down there and losing the MD. Now, I could be wrong and he's just so freaking strong that he knew exactly where he was at and felt he wasn't in any danger.

197--Man, this was bad. Allred looks terrible out there. It's shocking to see him this year versus last year, he's gotta be banged up.

HWT--Fun match, as others have mentioned, Nash was gassed out in the 2p. He kept pretty good positioning throughout the match and had a couple good attacks. He's going to be a problem going forward once he gets his sea legs just due to his size and strength. He'll get torched by the top end guys, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him make the NCAAs.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

Dual thoughts!

125--Bit of a weird match. Smith had 2 terrific offensive shots and....they turned into 13 points for McKee. Woof. It was good to see Smith out there initiating offense at least and honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if Smith beats him the next time they wrestle.

133--Burwick gonna Burwick. Yawn. Next

141--Hardy kinda is what he is at this point. He got a crafty vet win. I was really impressed by Vombaur, he really pushed the pace the entire match. Was fun to see. Side note, idiotic challenge by Nebraska's coaches. 

149--Really solid effort out of Ridge, looked razor sharp out there. Guys aren't going to give him anything and he came out more aggressively tonight it seems like.

157--Ugh, not a great showing out of Robb. I get Blockhaus is a crafty sonofagun (he beat Franek from Iowa recently) but I was hoping to see more of a complete effort tonight. Full disclosure, all the respect in the world to Robb for everything he's pushed through. He's a warrior in every sense of the word and who knows how close to 100% he is.

165--Nice showing out of Antrell, man he's explosive, awesome TD right at the end of the 1st period. If he had been able to finish that TD at the end to secure a MD would've been a cherry on top.

174--Solid win, nice job Bubba

184--Man, this is always such a great matchup. Salazar is tough man. I have no idea how Pinto didn't get awarded a TD early on. Having a challenge available would've been nice. These dudes are a pure tossup.

197--Jesus, the Minnesota guy looked gigantic out there compared to Allred, I know Joles was at HWT last year and cut down. Allred did a really solid job fending off some tough attacks and had a great shot in SV to get the win.

HWT--Really good showing out of Andrews. Great leg attacks and he rode Tabor like a dog there in the 1st. Got a little gassy and thankfully, Tabor was kind of a dumb dumb there. That lat drop at the end was sweeeeeeeettttttttt.

All in all, hey, it's a road win in the Big Ten. Minnesota has a bunch of scrappy dudes. Some good, some bad.

• Plus1 1

I haven't watched the Huskers in a few years.  I have watched the Iowa dual and watched last nights dual this morning.  It didn't get all of Allred's match or heavyweight.

We still seem to lack the aggressiveness of a PSU or Iowa.  We only seem to put 1 or 2 moves together where teams like PSU and Iowa are able to string more moves together.  It has been that way for years.  I always wonder if it is coaching or S&C.  I guess the real answer is probably both.

Looking at team rankings, Missouri?  Really?  I looked at their schedule.  They have dominated everyone, but have not wrestled against the Big 10 elite in a dual.

• Plus1 2