LeBron/Kobe/MJ

I would only put Jordan, Magic, Kobe, Hakeem, Lebron, and Duncan ahead of him....

really? I got him behind Kareem, shaq, Russell, wilt, as well as the ones you mentioned. I have Larry Bird in my 10-15 range. I got him in that range with Oscar, Charles, West, and probably doctor J

Shaq didn't win without Kobe, or Wade.... Kareem never won without Magic.... Did Wilt ever win any titles? (Not gonna look it up).... Russell? I hate the argument for Russell because he won most of his titles when there were 8-10 teams in the entire league. What Russell did was impressive, but it loses its luster when you realize he wasn't competing against 30 other teams like the players do now.....Right or wrong, that's my reasoning....

I would only put Jordan, Magic, Kobe, Hakeem, Lebron, and Duncan ahead of him....

really? I got him behind Kareem, shaq, Russell, wilt, as well as the ones you mentioned. I have Larry Bird in my 10-15 range. I got him in that range with Oscar, Charles, West, and probably doctor J

Shaq didn't win without Kobe, or Wade.... Kareem never won without Magic.... Did Wilt ever win any titles? (Not gonna look it up).... Russell? I hate the argument for Russell because he won most of his titles when there were 8-10 teams in the entire league. What Russell did was impressive, but it loses its luster when you realize he wasn't competing against 30 other teams like the players do now.....Right or wrong, that's my reasoning....

Oh come on! Bird played on one of the greatest front lines to ever play. Your argument has just as many holes in it as mine for the other players mentioned. What did Hakeem win without Clyde. I believe Wilt won one title with the lakers. Magic never won without Kareem.

Oh come on! Bird played on one of the greatest front lines to ever play. Your argument has just as many holes in it as mine for the other players mentioned. What did Hakeem win without Clyde. I believe Wilt won one title with the lakers. Magic never won without Kareem.

Yes, but it was clear in all three situations that Magic was the better player (over Kareem), Hakeem over Clyde (easily), and Bird better than Parrish/McHale (again easily).... If you weren't the best player on the team during your "run" than you're out of it for me.... Again, my reasoning....

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get excited when I watch Lebron or Kobe play. Jordan? You never knew what he was going to do. Game winner, amazing shot, amazing dunk, clutch shot, steals. Then there was his defensive game. No matter how hard Kobe or Lebron try or how good they are they will never have a game like Jordan's.

1321098285_1372855413.JPG

Video about Lebron Vs. Jordan, some interesting numbers. Talks about Lebron and Jordan by the time they won 2 championships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJyRLJV7vQM

That's a convenient way of looking at the numbers. How about the fact that Jordan missed nearly an entire season due to a broken foot. So between that and playing 3 years in college, I guess Jordan actually has the advantage in titles per season played, right? There had only been 4 players in history that had gone straight from high school to the NBA prior to 1989, so don't play the "Lebron was so great he was able to do it" card. It's much more common in today's game.

How about Lebron not having to go up against Detroit in the playoffs. Take Detroit out of the equation and Jordan easily makes 2 Finals appearances before 1991. How about the supporting cast Jordan had earlier on in his career. People always bring up Pippen. But that guy was not the offensive threat in his earlier years with the Bulls. Jordan has never had anyone on his team, particularly in the post, that would demand a double team. Ever. Kobe had Shaq. Lebron has D-Wade to take the scoring pressure off. Jordan never had such a luxury. Pippen didn't blossom into an offensive weapon until after Jordan's first retirement when he became "the guy" that had to carry the team. Wade has had 8 seasons with a ppg average that surpassed Pippen's best ever of 22 ppg in 93-94, including the first 2 with Lebron.

Jordan had a ton of help the 2nd 3-peat. But not nearly as much for the first 3-peat. He carried his team to NBA titles.

And by the way, I would have loved to see what Jordan would score in today's league. What about the changes in the defensive rules that provide a huge advantage for the offensive player? Here's some quotes that I found interesting.

"You can't even touch a guy now," says Charlotte coach Larry Brown. "The college game is much more physical than our game. I always tease Michael [Jordan], if he played today, he'd average 50."

During a 2007 L.A. Lakers pre-season broadcast, Phil Jackson was asked how he thought Michael Jordan would perform today, Phil said: "Michael would average 45 with these rules.

"The defensive rules, the hand checking, the ability to make contact on a guy in certain areas .... [have] all been taken away from the game. If Kobe could get 81, I think Michael could get 100 in today's game." - Scottie Pippen January 2006

Asked if he could defend Jordan under today’s interpretation of the rules, Dumars first laughed, “It would have been virtually impossible to defend Michael Jordan based on the way the game’s being called right now.

• Fire 1

I don't get excited when I watch Lebron or Kobe play. Jordan? You never knew what he was going to do. Game winner, amazing shot, amazing dunk, clutch shot, steals. Then there was his defensive game. No matter how hard Kobe or Lebron try or how good they are they will never have a game like Jordan's.

1321098285_1372855413.JPG

Lebron and Kobe have all that available in their games as well....

I remember hearing a few times about (not sure if true or not), any time the opposing team would sub in a white player Larry Bird would throw a fit and start chirping at their coach, "What are you doing? This guy can't guard me. Get a black player out here to guard me."

One of the greats, for sure. Nowhere near GOAT though. Not even top 10.

I don't know, I'd probably put him close to the top 10. It's a tough choice. They guy was a hell of a player, just not flashy and athletic.

His rings and MVP awards are his biggest claim to greatness; if you actually look at the numbers and statistics, he's not nearly as memorable or elite. But he had a lot going on that can't be measured.

Really? Before Bird started having back problems he had very good stats. Yes I picked Bird's best scoring year. But he had a couple others that were very similar. I also picked Lebron's best shooting % year from both fg and 3-pters. Bird was a great player. I really don't think people today appreciate him enough.

You wanna know what's funny? Bird didn't win the MVP in 87-88. The fact that Jordan only won it 5 times is a feaking joke. I'd argue it's a joke that Kobe's only won it once, even though I hate that m-f'r.

• Fire 1

How about comparing Jordan's career playoff stats with Lebron's?

Who did more to help their team win? Jordan gets the edge imo. Sure, Lebron had more rebounds. Boy I sure hope so since he spends a lot more time near the lane than MJ did. With the extra 0.9 possessions per game with Jordan's steals and fewer turnovers, it puts him on par with Lebron in all the stats other than scoring, and we all know who wins that battle.