Did Frazier do enough?

He looked good, thats for sure. Little early to tell on Newby and Taylor though. I envision one of them getting significant playing time.

I might take some heat for this, but Imani really doesnt look that great to me. I think he should stay a 3rd down bruiser.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I'm just not sure he really fits into the flow of what we try to do. He should still get his few carries per game but I'm not sure he'll ever be the featured back.

Frazier was one that I really wanted to see. It's hard to tell with anyone because of how the teams were split up and not really using the full play book on either side.

However, I was impressed with what I saw. Like others have said, I think it all plays into what happens with the Freshmen coming in.

Watching the game made me think even more how crazy it was for Heard to transfer.

I think the White Team had a better OL IMO, and the red team didn't really have anyone on the DL. Valentine didn't play, which would have been their key player. I think we were so short on DL, we had Vestal playing DT, IIRC. Trevor Roach and Thomas Brown were the key run stoppers on the Red Team, while you have a stout Zaire Anderson, Afalava, and Starkebaum who were doing damage to the Red Team OL. No excuses, but its hard to determine who is better than who, when teams are split like this. The only way to tell, is 1st team offense, vs 1st team defense. I would still put my money on Cross, but thats just an opinion, with no facts behind it, besides last years stats, which are irrelevant.

Red DL

---------

Ankrah

Ashburn

Donovan Vestal

Jay Guy

White DL

-----------

Kevin Williams

Avery Moss

Jack Gangwish

Brodrick Nickens

Greg McMullen (IIRC, I don't think he played though)

I'd like to see them redshirt Taylor and Newby. Frazier is perfectly capable of being the #3 running back. It's not like we use the #3 back enough that it requires us to have some freak in that spot. Someone serviceable like Frazier is sufficient. If Abdullah gets injured significantly, that's another matter.

That being said, I doubt we redshirt either freshmen, just going off past experience.

Sean Callahan doesnt think so. He thinks both Newby and Taylor are going to find the field one way or another as true freshman. These guys are THE top and one of the top players-not just rb's-in THE two best and most competitive divisions of high school football in the country. They're gonna play as true freshman.

Sean Callahan doesnt think so. He thinks both Newby and Taylor are going to find the field one way or another as true freshman. These guys are THE top and one of the top players-not just rb's-in THE two best and most competitive divisions of high school football in the country. They're gonna play as true freshman.

So, based on that, do you expect one of them to end up # 2? Do they have the talent to become # 1 as Frosh - could they excel that fast? With the potential you note, and the potential wt the receivers - we might have real dynamite on the O side. If our D can become above average - no dog games like last year, we could surprise. As much as I want to get excited, it is wait and see by Conference Game 1. I'm looking forward to the days when we can KNOW that we are going to have a great year - reloading and not rebuilding.

So, based on that, do you expect one of them to end up # 2? Do they have the talent to become # 1 as Frosh - could they excel that fast? With the potential you note, and the potential wt the receivers - we might have real dynamite on the O side. If our D can become above average - no dog games like last year, we could surprise. As much as I want to get excited, it is wait and see by Conference Game 1. I'm looking forward to the days when we can KNOW that we are going to have a great year - reloading and not rebuilding.

I believe one of them will be the #2 guy, even if Cross is still there on the depth chart. Quite possibly both with end up with more touches than Cross.

I honestly dont think there's gonna be any real clear-cut #1, 2, or even 3. I think all 4 backs are gonna bring a dimension different form the other 3. I'm not saying the carries are gonna be equally distributed, but that each guys is going to be a go-to guy in particular situations. I can see Newby being used as a utility player, kind of like Thunder Collins was back in the day. I can Cross bein thrown in at fullback at times. There's the daimond formation and so on. We're gonna have 4 extremely talented and capable guys. Being 1-4 on the depth chart isnt gonna mean much in my opinion.

I'd like to see them redshirt Taylor and Newby. Frazier is perfectly capable of being the #3 running back. It's not like we use the #3 back enough that it requires us to have some freak in that spot. Someone serviceable like Frazier is sufficient. If Abdullah gets injured significantly, that's another matter.

That being said, I doubt we redshirt either freshmen, just going off past experience.

I am wondering about the value of redshirting. The player gets a year to learn the system and gain strength and speed, but the trade-off is loss of scholarships. If everyone redshirted, you could only offer 17 scholarships per year instead of 21 or 22.