Boston Marathon Explosions

http://deadspin.com/former-patriots-guard-joe-andruzzi-helped-rescue-explos-473063870

We feared the worst when legendary NFL good-guy Joe Andruzzi wasn't heard from in the hours after explosions rocked the Boston Marathon. We knew Andruzzi's cancer foundation was a big supporter of marathon runners, and his Twitter suggested he was watching the race from a location very close to where the first blast occurred. But after the attacks, his Twitter account remained silent. Now we know why

Remember, Andruzzi's brothers were at the WTC during 9/11 helping people out of the buildings. All three worked in NYC as firefighters.

I think you're reading way too much into this. Nobody is panicking over this bombing. Maybe if it was the first time or the second time or the third time this had happened there'd be more panic, but today... we're getting inured to this kind of thing.

Al Qaeda? Big whoop. We're already raining hellfire missiles on them across the globe. Nobody is scared of al Qaeda today. We all realize they're still plotting and planning and they'd love to pull off another stunt, and if this is them then OK. But nobody is living their life in fear because of al Qaeda. They've gone from the boogie man to a nuisance.

If it's a home-grown nutjob, meh. We're all pretty familiar with people like this now, again sad to say. Nobody is going to be more or less afraid if the perp was American or foreign.

You're still going to see people in large crowds, people at baseball games today or other large sporting events. Sure, in the backs of their minds they'll be thinking about terror, and "What would happen if...?" But this event won't cause any more panic or terror among the people.

I think it'll have the opposite effect. We're saddened and angered by such things, but every single time a bomb goes off it provides us with yet more examples of how brave people really are. One minute those folks were milling about, doing minor crowd-control work or loafing due to inactivity, the next minute, one or two seconds after the bomb went off, all the pictures show the backs of police, medics, hazmat, even ordinary citizens. Not running away from the explosion, running towards it.

Look at all the citizens in those pictures without shirts. Ordinary people giving anything, everything they have on them without question or hesitation to help complete strangers.

That's why "terrorism" will ultimately fail. Not because we're incapable of being afraid, but because we're stronger than our fear.

With all due respect knapp, I disagree. I think it will have a short term effect on the nation, on any recent marathons. My girlfriends facebook has MANY people backing out of the Marathon that is being held this weekend, while there are more reports on the internet of people having these same reactions. I don't think this will have any impact on any other public events. I do believe this will blow over in the next couple months, but short term, it has put fear into people.

And again, I NEVER said it was work by Al Qaeda.

I think you're spinning your wheels quite a bit here. You started out saying this, which is basically what I'm saying in the above quote:

This attack was a statement of some sort. What? We don't know at this point.

I believe this HAD to have been a domestic terrorist or activist group. No way would an international terrorist group waste their time, resources or money to stage something like this. If it were an international group, I think you would expect a MUCH bigger explosion and fatality rate.

All in all, I believe this was an attack by a domestic terrorist group, trying to make a statement of some sort. Whether they were American or not, I don't believe it was done by a high organized terrorist group.

Don't live in fear, because this is exactly what they want. This same thing could happen at your local grocery store, the mall or a busy intersection. You never know, but there is no way I would let something like this reflect on things I do.

My quote was basically saying, foreign or domestic source, it doesn't matter - terrorism won't win. We're stronger than our fear. Which is basically what you said in your first post in this topic. And now you're disagreeing with this sentiment.

My quote was basically saying, foreign or domestic source, it doesn't matter - terrorism won't win. We're stronger than our fear. Which is basically what you said in your first post in this topic. And now you're disagreeing with this sentiment.

Some are stronger than their fear, not all. My statement was implying that we shouldn't be afraid of things like this, and let it reflect on things we do, or plan to do. That is all. I am just disagreeing that majority of the nation won't live in fear and they will let this have a short term effect on such events.

This incident isn't going to change anything about my life, except appreciate the things that I have and love, more than than I do now.

Did we cower in fear after 9/11? Did we cower in fear after Oklahoma City? Did we cower in fear over the Unibomber?

I don't get this insistence that the "majority of the nation will live in fear" over this. We didn't before. Why should we now?

LOL actually yes, the nation DID fear 9/11 as the number of flights dramatically dropped, and there are people that still refuse to fly since that incident. I don't get why your arguing this knapp. Walksalone hit it right on the head. Its a natural thing. Just because you didn't cower, doesn't mean that most of the nation didn't.

It matters because if this was done by an international group, panic will set throughout the United States. If its domestic, like I strongly believe given to my reasons earlier, people will be worried, but not as much. People will just want justice. You don't see people scared to go to the theater, the mall, or to school, but had one of those events been done by an international terrorist, you would see more panic, and a lot more fear of people doing these things.

I think you're reading way too much into this. Nobody is panicking over this bombing. Maybe if it was the first time or the second time or the third time this had happened there'd be more panic, but today... we're getting inured to this kind of thing.

Al Qaeda? Big whoop. We're already raining hellfire missiles on them across the globe. Nobody is scared of al Qaeda today. We all realize they're still plotting and planning and they'd love to pull off another stunt, and if this is them then OK. But nobody is living their life in fear because of al Qaeda. They've gone from the boogie man to a nuisance.

If it's a home-grown nutjob, meh. We're all pretty familiar with people like this now, again sad to say. Nobody is going to be more or less afraid if the perp was American or foreign.

You're still going to see people in large crowds, people at baseball games today or other large sporting events. Sure, in the backs of their minds they'll be thinking about terror, and "What would happen if...?" But this event won't cause any more panic or terror among the people.

I think it'll have the opposite effect. We're saddened and angered by such things, but every single time a bomb goes off it provides us with yet more examples of how brave people really are. One minute those folks were milling about, doing minor crowd-control work or loafing due to inactivity, the next minute, one or two seconds after the bomb went off, all the pictures show the backs of police, medics, hazmat, even ordinary citizens. Not running away from the explosion, running towards it.

Look at all the citizens in those pictures without shirts. Ordinary people giving anything, everything they have on them without question or hesitation to help complete strangers.

That's why "terrorism" will ultimately fail. Not because we're incapable of being afraid, but because we're stronger than our fear.

knapp for president.

It matters because if this was done by an international group, panic will set throughout the United States. If its domestic, like I strongly believe given to my reasons earlier, people will be worried, but not as much. People will just want justice. You don't see people scared to go to the theater, the mall, or to school, but had one of those events been done by an international terrorist, you would see more panic, and a lot more fear of people doing these things.

For the most part, I agree with you on this Knapp.

There is a huge difference between an appropriate response or attitude towards this the public should/will have compared to people in the FBI, CIA, local police, government etc. They are in charge of doing what ever they can to prevent this while at the same time, not stepping on the freedoms of the public. I'm glad I'm not responsible for keeping large crowds like this safe. I have already heard people mumbling about why these people were able to get bombs into that event. Really? An event where everyone is carrying around a duffel bag of some kind?

However, Bush has gotten crucified by some groups for coming out after 9/11 and basically telling people to go about their everyday business because if you don't, the terrorists have accomplished their goal.

The source, who spoke to Fox News on condition of anonymity, said a pressure cooker was attached to a wooden board in at least one of the blasts. The pressure cooker acted as the timer, the source said, and attached to the board was a bottle filled with nails, ball bearings and BB’s. That device was placed inside a black nylon backpack and then dumped in a garbage can, according to the source.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/16/marathon-bombs-likely-made-from-pressure-cookers-shrapnel-say-experts/#ixzz2Qe7BCOOT

They will try to cripple us with fear; they will fail. Our courage and spontaneous ability to forget the risks to help your fellow human will always win out. And when the smoke finally clears and the person or people responsible are caught, they will feel the full fury of the American people and the American justice system.

It's sad that we live in a world where violence is always a possibility; where just your average every day person has the ability to create dangerous weapons. But for every one person who hates, there are hundreds of thousands who care and are good. We saw that yesterday.

• Fire 1