NTSB reccomends lowering blood alchol level that constitutes drunk driving

WASHINGTON – The National Transportation Safety Board voted to recommend to states that they lower the blood-alcohol content that constitutes drunk driving.

Currently, all 50 states have set a BAC level of .08, reflecting the percentage of alcohol, by volume, in the blood. If a driver is found to have a BAC level of .08 or above, he or she is subject to arrest and prosecution.

The NTSB recommends dropping that to a BAC level of .05.

I don't think this will ever pass, but it's something to think about.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/14/18250824-ntsb-recommends-lowering-blood-alcohol-level-that-constitutes-drunk-driving?lite

I don't now how accurate this site is: http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/#LinkURL but I looked at it to see how much a guy like me could drink and if this proposed change would make any difference.

I'm a 190 lb male.

3 beers in 45 minutes would put me just over 0.05. 5 beers in 90 minutes would put me over 0.08. I never drink that much, especially in that amount of time, but I remember back in my younger (college) days when I and everyone else would pound them back pretty quickly. Regardless, is you are going to drink that much, you should have a DD anyway.

So if 5 beers in 90 minutes puts me over .08, what if the new standard was .05? I'd have to nurse the same amount of booze, or stop drinking and wait, for two more hours to get under the .05 threshold.

I found it interesting that 4 beers in 120 minutes gave me the same BAC as 3 beers in 45 minutes, just over 0.05.

My takeaway from this proposal, if the states adopt it, is that it won't really effect the casual drinker like myself. It's the binge drinkers who have to watch out. If you routinely have 5 or more drinks (at my bodyweight), who better be prepared to wait a hell of a lot longer before driving (which you should anyway), or you'll need to drink less (which you should anyway), or just get a DD in the first place (which you should anyway).

And if I don't sound old-fogey-ish enough, I'll add that with all the trouble caused by people when they are drinking a lot, a little bit more restrictiveness does not bother me at all. Damn kids anyway!

Therefore, I support this proposal! And I say that as a man who really enjoys his beer.

Actually having laws that didn't allow nearly unlimited repeat offenses for drunk driving would be a better thing. First offense is a warning with a temporary suspension of license for a couple weeks. 2nd offense...you're done driving for 10 years. f#*k off. 3rd offense, you don't ever drive again.

Actually having laws that didn't allow nearly unlimited repeat offenses for drunk driving would be a better thing. First offense is a warning with a temporary suspension of license for a couple weeks. 2nd offense...you're done driving for 10 years. f#*k off. 3rd offense, you don't ever drive again.

First offense is way more harsh than just a suspended license.

Fair enough, I don't really know what it is. They have been toughening laws lately regarding that stuff, but they're not nearly tough enough yet. I don't have much of an issue with a lenient first offense for those things (assuming you didn't wreck and hurt someone). But if you get more than one offense, you shouldn't be driving for a long, long time. And that is usually not the case.

Edit - Here is Nebraska's. 2nd offense potential suspension of 1-15 years if over .15 BAC. Just make it ten years and get it over with. Too much room for lawyer retardation with this 1-15 years crap.

I usually limit myself to no more than 3 drinks if I am the one responsible for driving. And I usually cut myself off 1-1.5 hours before leaving just to be sure. Having a family and a business just doesn't make it worth the risk anymore.

Now if my wife is driving, it's game on!

Under this new rule, you'd be over the legal limit.

(Assuming you're 180 lbs)

OK....I'm going to sound like a heartless bastard to anyone who has been hurt or has a loved one who has been hurt or killed by a drunk driver.

But.....I think this is just plain horse sh#t.

I am truly interested in knowing how many accidents happen because someone has alcohol in their system less than .1. If someone has that information I would like to see it. Now, that doesn't mean every accident where someone was .09 was CAUSED by the person being .09.

Now, I am all for nailing the person who is a hazard to people around him. My opinion is that a person with less than .1 is not that. Heck, most that are less than .1 get pleaded down already to willful reckless driving because the court system knows what a total bunch of hog wash that level is.

This entire DUI issue has become it's own little cottage industry. I know someone who got arrested recently. It is his first offense and by the time it is all said and done, it will cost him over $10,000. All because he had 4-5 beers over about a 4 hour period. I'm sorry...for a first offense of something when nobody got hurt, that is outrageous.