Your Top Five Blackshirts

interesting standards Dr Tom had. DUI's? You're off the team. Beat your girlfriend? 6 game suspension, help win a NC.

You really should read Tom's book "More than Winning" to help understand how and why he handled the Phillips situation the way he did. We tend to agree, or at least not get crossways on many subjects but, it kind of pisses me off when people claim Tom brought him back to win games. Read the book- that's not what was going on.

I remember he said he thought he would lose Phillips if he didn't bring him back. And in the short term it worked. It would be interesting to know what the conversation was with Farley.

I admire Osborne for giving it a shot. Too bad Phillips couldn't return the favor

Farley had a huge issue with drinking and his teammates will tell you that.

One wouldnt even have to ask his teammates. His issues were well-publicized enough. I was 12-13 years old at the time, and I remember clearly his multiple violations. Farley may very well be right there with Phillips in the "best that never was" category. And I truly believe, that with Farley on the field, we beat Texas and win a 3rd straight national title.

Didn't half the team have the flu in 96???

Didn't half the team have the flu in 96???

Yes. But-and I've read this in one of Osborne's books-the fact that Farley was out created a difficult situation flu or not. Basically, the lack of depth forced them to have to move Minter up to the OLB and play a glorified nickel. They did this against Colorado and worked fine, but in very sh**ty weather as well. But when most of the team was sick against Texas, it was too much to overcome having that young, inexperienced safety surrounded by a bunch of sick guys, in a 70-80 degree dome, in December. I just feel that Farley being present wouldve been enough to overcome the illnesses. It was just a compilation of numerous things that day.

I haven't been around for the 70s and 80s Huskers, so my top 5 will be from my generation:

Suh

Lavonte David

Barrett Ruud

Grant Winstrom

For the 5th, I think you could go with any of the following: Peters, M. Brown, Groce, Josh Bullocks, Demarrio Williams,..... I'm sure there are more than could fit. Maybe Dennard. The top 4 IMO are pretty solid for me, but it would be really hard to pick the guy to round it out.

Top 5? That's rough.

I was pretty young when he played, but I remember being facinated watching Trev Alberts. I'd say he's probably in that 5-10 range if you expanded it.

Other than that, I can't argue with what y'all have thrown up there for the Top 5. All are worthy.

Hard to argue against Alberts or the Sandman...

interesting standards Dr Tom had. DUI's? You're off the team. Beat your girlfriend? 6 game suspension, help win a NC.

You really should read Tom's book "More than Winning" to help understand how and why he handled the Phillips situation the way he did. We tend to agree, or at least not get crossways on many subjects but, it kind of pisses me off when people claim Tom brought him back to win games. Read the book- that's not what was going on.

I remember he said he thought he would lose Phillips if he didn't bring him back. And in the short term it worked. It would be interesting to know what the conversation was with Farley.

I admire Osborne for giving it a shot. Too bad Phillips couldn't return the favor

Farley had a huge issue with drinking and his teammates will tell you that.

It was more than just drinking. Big time Toker. He used to hang out in a house over by Wesleyan University. Curtains drawn and dark. His car would be parked there for days without moving.

What a waste of talent. He was seriously, dare I say, LTesque.

I have not had a favorite Husker since Matt Davidson and that's the truth. People on this board have heard me say that. I love Davidson and he went to HS with my cousins down in Tecumseh High. I am a Husker FOOTBALL guy. I don't care who makes the play as long as they make the play. With this being said, I think the best players while they were at Nebraska ignoring their pro careers has to go like this:

1)Suh - We will never see a player like that again; nor will CFB

2) Rich Glover - saw the highlight tapes. Those with memories know why he is here.

3) Grant Wistrom - This guy exemplifies what a Husker DE is

4) Demario Williams - Surprised he isn't getting more love. Had he played on the 90s teams does he get more love?

5) Lavonte David - We are in big time trouble without him in 10-11. Never seen a guy dominate a second level like him.

1. Suh - nobody dominated his opponents the way this guy did. Man among boys
  2. Glover - old enough to have seen this guy play and he was relentless. quick, strong, and you could bet that he was going to be a part of every important play
  3. Wistrom - the standard bearer for all DE's
  4. David - motor, smarts, work ethic
  5. Amukamara - can't think of anyone better at the DB position.