New field turf for 2013

Turf installation update. Not much to see so far...

wJUAGu8.jpg

Wow! The finished product looks legit!

I see they went with they grey sand/gravel look rather than green grass. We'll be on the cutting* edge!

*literally cutting because it probably hurts to be tackled on that.

Kind of off topic, and not a real big deal, but would anyone else like to see the pro style colored goal posts? The white is kind of hard to see IMO.

I would like to see black goalposts. I just happen to think that would be neat.

Yes. I went there.

I bet the kickers would like to see black goalposts too. But they can't. 'Cause they're black.

Does the rock/gravel/sand(?) have any functional purpose as to the turf? or is it just a simple foundation to err....put it on.

I don't know anything about anything.

I'm no artificial turf expert but I would guess that yes it is basically a foundation, like gravel on a playground it may have some cushioning effect, but more than anything it probably helps with drainage.

It's for both. It also helps with keeping a correctly graded surface, and to ensure a proper crown, just like underlayment for paving.

Kind of off topic, and not a real big deal, but would anyone else like to see the pro style colored goal posts? The white is kind of hard to see IMO.

Yes. I went there.

I bet the kickers would like to see black goalposts too. But they can't. 'Cause they're black.

kickers are famously colorblind.

Yes. I went there.

tumblr_m76hfpAEpG1rnzbkv.gif

They're going to start the installation tomorrow. Pretty cool how they do it - they lay the turf down, then use a machine with brushes like on a street sweeper to brush the "grass" up, then deposit the sand/rubber layer. From tomorrow it'll take them about 2-3 weeks to complete the job, which should be just in time for Fan Day.

Here's the field right now:

ftuHjVNh.jpg

And the rolls of turf all ready to go:

bWO1f2lh.jpg

7gqeUwih.jpg

bWO1f2lh.jpg

And here's your very first glimpse of the new stadium turf.

0pKoD7G.jpg

• Fire 7