New field turf for 2013

So sorry if this has been answered already, but how do they get the N in the middle of the field and the rest of the letters & numbers on the field and endzones?

You should watch the video earlier in the thread on the tulsa field. It appears that they almost make a cutout of the logo and then insert it. It is hard to tell with the fast forward but thats kind of what it appeared like.

The colors will fade quite a bit when they get all of the rubber and cork put in it. I think you'll be able to tell the biggest difference when it comes to the vibrance of the reds on the center logo and the endzones.

So sorry if this has been answered already, but how do they get the N in the middle of the field and the rest of the letters & numbers on the field and endzones?

You should watch the video earlier in the thread on the tulsa field. It appears that they almost make a cutout of the logo and then insert it. It is hard to tell with the fast forward but thats kind of what it appeared like.

The colors will fade quite a bit when they get all of the rubber and cork put in it. I think you'll be able to tell the biggest difference when it comes to the vibrance of the reds on the center logo and the endzones.

I just watched it again, and it is really difficult to tell what is happening.

The contrast between the two greens looks a bit more subtle this time.... that's preferable. I was one who would rather see one color, but so far, this looks better than the previous stuff did.

They alternate it for depth perception.

Uh...I've never heard that. They alternate it to simulate different mowing patterns - the way our natural grass field, and many others, used to look.

The contrast between the two greens looks a bit more subtle this time.... that's preferable. I was one who would rather see one color, but so far, this looks better than the previous stuff did.

Uh...I've never heard that. They alternate it to simulate different mowing patterns - the way our natural grass field, and many others, used to look.

I suppose it would make it easier to tell what yard line the play is at or how many yards have been gained. Especially from an angle.

But I've always thought it was to make it look more like grass.

In order to keep prices down, many turf companies use a cut-out method to install lines, hash marks and logos. Once the turf has been laid out,

the installation crew will outline the logo or hash mark and quickly cut it out from the turf’s original backing. A turf’s backing essentially forms the

foundation for the field. As a whole, the foundation remains strong and sturdy, however, with each chunk removed that foundation grows increasingly

unstable and brittle. This method should be avoided at all costs. FieldTurf’s experienced installation crews take the time to shear the necessary

fibers without compromising the durability of the turf backing. Once the fibers have been carefully sheared, an ultra adhesive mixture is applied

along the entire surface area of the logos and hash marks before being carefully installed.

Good find +1

I suppose it would make it easier to tell what yard line the play is at or how many yards have been gained. Especially from an angle.

But I've always thought it was to make it look more like grass.

The company I work for used to have a small sister company that built laser guided box blades that are used on sports fields all over the country. Those guys worked closely with groundskeepers from the MLB, CFB, NFL, and the PGA as well as turf installers. They worked with them on setting up the fields for installs of grass and turf, and the last major one we did before basically shutting down that arm, was the Marlins new stadium. A couple of the guys who did that had worked in turf for a couple decades, and they're the ones that initially told me that. I also remember reading about it in one of the industry mags (sports turf maybe?). I also remember reading about the install from 200... 6?

It's not the only reason, but long story short, it was found to make it easier to recognize distances.